FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Tikipedia
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
The Tikipedia
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 1:55 pm   Permalink

this is a great thread and sven, i know youre a busy guy so im doubly grateful for you taking the time to chime in!

to echo what tikitacky said, the wiki is great in the sense that it's dynamic. it can be edited and i hope it will be edited by those who are well versed in the subject matter.

let the thread continue!

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 2:02 pm   Permalink

Well, but the administrators should not be far behind the "well versed". Or have at least have the basic understanding of the concept. To acquire this, this very site recommends:

"The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 2:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 11:55, bigbrotiki wrote:

IF IT SAYS TIKI ON IT, IT SHOULD HAVE TIKI IN IT!

Words to live by! (Should be the slogan on an officially sanctioned TC shirt) Now if we could only get all the owners of the Florida "Tiki bars" to grasp that simple concept we'd be getting somewhere.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 2:16 pm   Permalink

proud owner

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 3:06 pm   Permalink

I agree that if you are creating a Tikipedia you'll definitely need to know your tiki history. Book of Tiki and Tiki Modern are a must but I also think that Sippin' Safari by Jeff Berry is essential. There is a chapter there on the history of the growth of the tiki bar and the men who started it all (not just Donn Beach). There's a lot of information at this link too, also written by Jeff Berry:

http://www.tiki-ti.com/pages/ray.html

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 3:32 pm   Permalink

I have the Book of Tiki and I refer to it frequently. I haven't managed to score a book of Tiki Modern yet because I can't find one I can afford (used copies start on Amazon at $150!).

I, like many others, am often confused by the things that are included as tiki and the things that aren't. Being able to ask these questions from The Man Himself is definitely helpful—even if there's no consensus on what tiki is, there's guidance from the man who helped to revive what so many have enjoyed.

I'll read through that thread, put together what I think is a somewhat representative definite, and get it up on Tikipedia for others to start tweaking.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 6:05 pm   Permalink

Good God. I'm only three pages into that thread and I already feel like I need a drink. These are some adamant arguments, I tells ya.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 6:19 pm   Permalink

which thread??

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 6:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 12:57, JOHN-O wrote:
I would encourage people to read this thread if they haven't yet. Unfortunately it spiraled out of control and had to be locked, but I think there's a lot of thoughtful discussion contained in it...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31087&forum=1

Also I hate to say this, but have any of you read the "Book of Tiki" or "Tiki Modern" ?? (Sorry, it doesn't seem that way). If not, that should be the first prerequisite before starting a Wiki page on Tiki.

This one.

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 6:47 pm   Permalink

Up to page 8 now (slow going as I take notes and do research). One thing that is readily apparent, and is often one of my gripes about TC: People tend to get upset whenever a "serious" discussion pops up here. There are constant attempts to derail the thread with humor and, less often, insults. I see now why Sven made the allegation about just making Tiki into an abstract "FUN" thing.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 6:58 pm   Permalink

The "FUN" would be the Tiki Revival's reinterpretation of Tiki to include Rockabilly, burlesque, hot rods, spies, beatniks, etc. etc. While all this stuff might detract from, or arguably dilute Tiki-style's uniqueness as an American pop cultural art form, it is fun.

Really really fun.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2014-01-27 19:02 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 7:20 pm   Permalink

BOT laid the groundwork and is still the definitive Tiki-style resource, along with TM. (And a new Sven book is coming out, yay !!)

It seems like you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel. And we already have TC. If I've misinterpreted your intentions then I wish you Good Luck.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 19:20, JOHN-O wrote:
BOT laid the groundwork and is still the definitive Tiki-style resource, along with TM. (And a new Sven book is coming out, yay !!)

It seems like you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel. And we already have TC. If I've misinterpreted your intentions then I wish you Good Luck.

I think they just want to put it all on one page. Instead of having to search everything on TC, etc. I like it. Make it easier for the Tiki newbies instead of them getting yelled at here. Good stuff!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 8:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 19:20, JOHN-O wrote:

It seems like you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel.

hmm...i wonder if the folks from britannica ever said that to the people over at wikipedia. have you ever used wikipedia? chances are you have. you already have TC? well then i guess you have all you need and need no further resources for information. our site wouldnt be for you then but it's definitely for me which is the main reason why i started it. i wanted one location to have all the information i could ever want on tiki. the whos, whats, whens, wheres, whys and hows. will it ever become that? we can only hope.

[ This Message was edited by: nomeus 2014-01-27 20:21 ]

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 8:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 20:04, RevBambooBen wrote:

I think they just want to put it all on one page. Instead of having to search everything on TC, etc. I like it. Make it easier for the Tiki newbies instead of them getting yelled at here. Good stuff!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation