FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Tikipedia
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Tikipedia
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-27 8:14 pm   Permalink

Alright, I took a stab at it: http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=culture:tiki_style

Disagree with something? Go change it.

JOHN-O: Tiki Central is the place to have discussions about the things you read at Tikipedia. It's for the academic side of Tiki, not the "fun" side that people keep talking about (although I'd like to think there'll be a little crossover). Sure Wikipedia covers a few of these topics, but they aren't tiki focused; you have to wade through a ton of stuff that isn't relevant. Plus, there's lots of stuff that isn't listed.

Bamboo Ben: Thanks! You should put together a bio for a page. You definitely play an important part.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-01-27 20:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-01-27 20:25 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 8:17 pm   Permalink

you just bang that out, tacky? thats a great article!

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-27 8:33 pm   Permalink

I wrote it hopped up on Norco, I hope it makes sense. It's the only way I can sit at the computer right now.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 11:09, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-01-27 10:53, TikiTacky wrote:
Serious question: There seems to be a lot of debate as to whether something is "tiki" or not, yet tiki seems to be a generic term at this point for anything Polynesian themed. What is the distinction between saying something is tiki and saying it's Poly-Pop, aside from the fact that they may have used tiki imagery? It seems like splitting hairs, but maybe I'm missing something.

You are aiming to write the TIKIPEDIA, and you think it's splitting hairs to differentiate between Polynesian Pop and Pre-Tiki, and the Tiki period !? I thought the aim was to DEFINE Tiki style.

Well, you might as well ride the wave, make the site a party and cocktail site along with many of those documentaries. Fact is before the Book of Tiki came out, many of these places and things were called "Hawaiian" and "Polynesian" and "Tropical". And you know what? They still are - UNLESS they employed the Tiki image in their architecture, design and graphics.

I know people don't like to think, differentiate, or get their bubbles burst. So just continue along the happy path of throwing it all together - it's just supposed to be fun, after all, right ?

Sorry, but I am really tired to explain it, can't somebody else do it, PLEASE !? I have done it way too many times, in fact I just did it in my two lasts posts above, if that does not do it, together with my chart, I dunno…

…the boulder just rolled down again.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-01-27 11:22 ]

Hey I do that all the time, but just get called a asshole or the Tiki Police for doing so
but hey I don't care so I will hang in there, but for us older baby boomers whom grew up with Tiki
we just know what is is, because we were a part of it, for many others here, they are just playing catch up.

"Tiki is not PC & neither am I"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-27 8:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 18:58, JOHN-O wrote:
...reinterpretation of Tiki to include Rockabilly, burlesque, hot rods, spies, beatniks, etc. etc.

Some day there will have to be a new name coined for all this consolidated stuff. It's not so much a re-interpretation of tiki as it is a bunch of other fun stuff piled together. So you're now getting tiki, cocktails, fast cars, sexy women, etc. Wow, it's as if tiki alone wasn't fun by itself.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:01 pm   Permalink

Not so bad, I could never compose anything so brief and simple.

The last paragraph perpetuates a central misunderstanding: When I write and talk about Tiki style, I do it from the perspective of an ART lover, or, as you will, art historian. That is what my definitions are aiming at.

Many of today's Tiki revivalists are more into the LIFESTYLE, i.e. cocktails, events, and hanging out in bars, not as much architecture and design. So they wonder what the heck I am talking about.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:02 pm   Permalink

thanks again sven for chiming in on all of this

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:06 pm   Permalink

Glad you like it. Apparently I did finally get what you were talking about.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:07 pm   Permalink

Sven, you lead people into greater depths they otherwise would not discover or pay attention to on their own. Tiki is multi-faceted. Those who do not come to recognize that are missing out. While there is nothing wrong with escapism, there is much to be gained by standing on yours, and others, shoulders and going deeper.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 20:56, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-01-27 18:58, JOHN-O wrote:
...reinterpretation of Tiki to include Rockabilly, burlesque, hot rods, spies, beatniks, etc. etc.

Some day there will have to be a new name coined for all this consolidated stuff. It's not so much a re-interpretation of tiki as it is a bunch of other fun stuff piled together. So you're now getting tiki, cocktails, fast cars, sexy women, etc. Wow, it's as if tiki alone wasn't fun by itself.

These are just two different things: One was the original mid-century Tiki style, the other is the TIKI REVIVAL. Both related, but not the same.

I see it this way: Mid-century Tiki was the result of broad, widespread popular awareness and interest in Hawaiian and Polynesian culture in America. This popular base does not exist anymore today, so folks are making up for that by connecting it to other genres. Yet doing so breeds the danger of diluting and bastardizing it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 21:07, AceExplorer wrote:
Sven, you lead people into greater depths they otherwise would not discover or pay attention to on their own. Tiki is multi-faceted. Those who do not come to recognize that are missing out. While there is nothing wrong with escapism, there is much to be gained by standing on yours, and others, shoulders and going deeper.

Thanks, it's just what your game is. I get as much kick out of a previously unseen vintage Tiki find as out of a well-mixed Three Dots & and a Dash. l like having fun, but with a cultural context.

TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:20 pm   Permalink

Sven, in a lot of ways you remind me of my dad. He was a big-wig in high-end audio back in the day, and was always very specific about what he thought its goals should be. Over time they were diluted and changed, and he ended up sort of giving up on the whole mess. He was a bit of a purist, and definitely a curmudgeon.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:29 pm   Permalink

Hmmm…before I got into Tiki, I was into Samurai culture. I like to see myself as one of them:

"In the changing of the times, they were like autumn lightning, a thing out of season, an empty promise of rain that would fall unheeded on fields already bare"

TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:40 pm   Permalink

The Daimyo of Tiki? Brobunaga?

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 21:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
I see it this way: Mid-century Tiki was the result of broad, widespread popular awareness and interest in Hawaiian and Polynesian culture in America. This popular base does not exist anymore today, so folks are making up for that by connecting it to other genres. Yet doing so breeds the danger of diluting and bastardizing it.

Solid point Sven, I wish more people got that.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation