FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Tikipedia
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Tikipedia
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 9:56 pm   Permalink

Took a look at your site & I have to disagree with with this statement
"The public's need for island escapism was dramatically altered by the onset of the Vietnam war."

As the Vietnam war officially started in 1959, direct U.S. involvement in 1963 when Ngo Dinh Diem was elected
in a general democratic election only to be killed during a coup supported by the United States.

A year later after the Gulf of Tonkin Incident (1964) The U.S. sent in the first ground troops
all of this during a popular time for the Tiki Bar.

I would say it was the 1970s Pop culture & so called "Me" generation that was the nail in the Tiki coffin
all things Mid Century were out of vogue (Tiki included) as a result, Free Sex, Drugs, Disco etc. was the new escapism.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:06 pm   Permalink

plastic paradise stated that (paraphrasing) the vietnam war basically killed tiki. soldiers coming back from the war in the 70s wanted nothing to do with the tropics and those themes. also what people were more into was sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. tiki souvenirs were hidden in attics and basements and were more of an embarrassment than celebrated.

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:10 pm   Permalink

*to keep this thread more on topic, check this out...good job TT!

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=culture:tiki_style

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 22:06, nomeus wrote:
plastic paradise stated that (paraphrasing) the vietnam war basically killed tiki. soldiers coming back from the war in the 70s wanted nothing to do with the tropics and those themes. also what people were more into was sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. tiki souvenirs were hidden in attics and basements and were more of an embarrassment than celebrated.

Plastic paradise is who? (the documentary I know, but who is behind it & making the assumption?)
once again since I was around then I whole heartily disagree & given the timeline for the start of the Vietnam War
As I already mentioned, This is the first I have heard of Vietnam Vets not wanting anything to do with Tiki Bars
after the war, I myself missed the draft by six months, but have spent a bit of time with many Vietnam War Vets
during my "Motorcycle Years"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:23 pm   Permalink

the 70s

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:38 pm   Permalink

Tiki was popular in 1964 - but with WHO: The Frances Langfords and Nixons…

…the old guard, the so-called establishment, who could not understand that their children were demonstrating against the Vietnam war. Here is a 1965 LOOK magazine cover featuring a bathing beauty on Waikiki Beach:

Note that she is NOT a Hula Girl. Read the headlines: Honululu - Trouble in Paradise…What caused the California campus revolt…The Future of the FBI...
The times were changing. The Polynesian pop cliches were wearing thin, palm trees and native huts were burning from American Napalm, and American soldiers were not seen as the same heroes they had been in the Pacific: The My Lai massacre shocked the nation, and brought back memories of Wounded Knee, and the mistreatment of native cultures in general. The time for exoticism was over. This button says it all:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:38 pm   Permalink

I think the point is that the Vietnam War changed the image of grass huts from that of tropical escape to that of soldiers burning down villages in an unpopular war. Also Tiki was the creation of "The Man", something the emerging counter culture wanted nothing to do with.

Edit - the Bigbro posted a milli-second before me.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2014-01-27 22:43 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:44 pm   Permalink

I would say change " The onset" of the Vietnam War to "as the Vietnam War escalated and was condemned by the younger generation" or something...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:56 pm   Permalink

That would be more accurate, but I could say the Hippies had more to do with it
it was a political & youth culture effect, but don't forget the Hollywood scene, Ratpack
(or as John-O might put it, "The Man") still hung strong in Vegas & Tiki Bars through out the country.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 11:13 pm   Permalink

But Hippidom began already in the late 1960s.
I am covering all that in the Tiki Devolution chapter in my new book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDqfywQua5E

And I am NOT condemning it. It was an amazing, radical generation gap. I wish the youth of today would get off their asses like that.

(None of these images are for Tikipedia use, please)

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 11:15 pm   Permalink

No worries!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 11:37 pm   Permalink

Nice segueway Sven!

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-27 11:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 22:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
I would say change " The onset" of the Vietnam War to "as the Vietnam War escalated and was condemned by the younger generation" or something...

Click Register, then after you log in click "Edit this page" and you can modify to your heart's content.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 04:42 am   Permalink

sven editing articles on tikipedia? now THAT would be most awesome!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 06:47 am   Permalink

Sorry guys, but you helped me procrastinate another day on my writing for my book, that's all for now. As you can see by my last posts, I am not writer, I am a visual storyteller, and writing is hard labor for me, so I have to go into seclusion now.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation