FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Tikipedia
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Tikipedia
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 06:50 am   Permalink

it was fun while it lasted!

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 07:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 21:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hmmm…before I got into Tiki, I was into Samurai culture. I like to see myself as one of them:

"In the changing of the times, they were like autumn lightning, a thing out of season, an empty promise of rain that would fall unheeded on fields already bare"

Wow, didn't know that! me too, and I still am (because of my love of martial arts). The Hagakure is prominently displayed in my office at work, and I have relied on it for management techniques.....well, except for the part about wearing rouge, that is!

great quote, by the way.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 07:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 18:47, TikiTacky wrote:
Up to page 8 now (slow going as I take notes and do research). One thing that is readily apparent, and is often one of my gripes about TC: People tend to get upset whenever a "serious" discussion pops up here. There are constant attempts to derail the thread with humor and, less often, insults. I see now why Sven made the allegation about just making Tiki into an abstract "FUN" thing.

Well, not exactly....we often engage in spirited discussions, about a subject we all love (at least we all agree on THAT)...and I recently discussed this with atomic punk tiki at the IMTP event.....people don't see the smiles on our faces when we are typing...they picture us all mad and red faced, slamming at the keyboard in anger....that is REALLY not the case most of the time!
The problem I have always had with Tiki central is that as soon as you bring something up that is not all warm and fuzzy and congratulatory...or you offer a criticism that goes against the herd mentality...you end up getting skewered!

Most of the time, it's all in good fun...though for some of us (like Sven pointed out) Tiki is more about the history and architecture and style than it is the parties and the drinking.....

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 5:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 13:13, TikiTacky wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-01-27 12:57, JOHN-O wrote:
I would encourage people to read this thread if they haven't yet. Unfortunately it spiraled out of control and had to be locked, but I think there's a lot of thoughtful discussion contained in it...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31087&forum=1

Also I hate to say this, but have any of you read the "Book of Tiki" or "Tiki Modern" ?? (Sorry, it doesn't seem that way). If not, that should be the first prerequisite before starting a Wiki page on Tiki.

Thank you for linking to this! The thread is a perfect example of why something like the Tikipedia is needed. The information in that thread is very important, but spread over fifteen pages and ultimately became so unwieldy that it had to be locked. Do stilling it down to the key points and putting them in one spot will save myself and lots of other people (including poor Sven) a lot of heartache.

2009 was a very contentious year for Tiki Central & the "What is Tiki Conundrum"
things got very heated back then....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 6:14 pm   Permalink

Yeah but we got some great content out of it like this...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31087&forum=1&vpost=430455

That was a significant Tiki lightbulb moment for me. I remember printing it out, folding it, and sticking it inside my BOT.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 8:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-28 18:14, JOHN-O wrote:
Yeah but we got some great content out of it like this...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31087&forum=1&vpost=430455

That was a significant Tiki lightbulb moment for me. I remember printing it out, folding it, and sticking it inside my BOT.

really good post by sven there. says a lot for sure

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 10:39 am   Permalink

That post, and a few other comments in that thread, finally crystallized for me what Sven was trying to get across. I had read Book of Tiki several times, but I had somehow missed the crux of it: not only were tikis popular emblems, they became THE single iconic figure that was used to represent the then-current Polynesian style. I had somehow missed that, and based on people's comments I think a lot of other people missed it too. It wasn't chosen at random as a symbol to exemplify what was going on, it really became a unifying meme.

That missing piece of knowledge was what led to my questions earlier, and Sven's "curl up in a fetal position and rock under a Witco table" reaction.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 7:31 pm   Permalink

we are still looking for people to contribute. otto von stroheim has registered with the site and i think maybe tom duncan as well.

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-31 6:39 pm   Permalink

I continue to add pages randomly. I just added a couple for Trader Vic's syrups. Adding a page is simple to do, as is modifying an existing page. It seems daunting right now to get a lot of content, but it'll fill out over time. If even a few people would take a category "under their wing" it would make a big difference.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-31 8:27 pm   Permalink

http://i.imgur.com/9HLCZvc.gif

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 1:50 pm   Permalink

Now that we're starting to get some users contributing, we're seeing areas that need improvement in terms of finding your way around, adding topics, and media handling. The homepage has been revised a bit to make it easier for users to find what they're looking for right off the bat, and hopefully adding new topics will be a bit less confusing with some additional changes.

The media handling in DokuWiki is less than stellar. I'm talking with a developer friend of mine about the potential of creating a custom interface that will make it easy to add media to the site in a way that is searchable and relevant to the things us tikiphiles are interested in. I know one of the things many people were hoping for with Ooga-Mooga was that it would give them the option to add menus, matchbooks, and other collectibles in a way that can be referenced. While Tikipedia isn't a "collection website" and has no aspirations to be one, I do think that the ability to add these items to individual locations will greatly enhance its usability and relevance. That's something we're going to explore.

If you've ever had a "Gee, I wish I could do this" thought about any of the tiki sites currently out there let us know about it! I've been in discussion a little with DustyCajun about creating some sort of tool that would allow people to more easily date things like menus by checking to see what prices were at various restaurants in various years. This might be something that could eventually be incorporated.

Give us your wish list!

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 1:53 pm   Permalink

yea absolutely.. any and all feedback will help us a lot.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 2:06 pm   Permalink

buddy of mine just made a really good article on the castaways...check it out!!

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=location:the_castaways

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 10:07 am   Permalink

I have just submitted an article for The Smokin' Menehunes.

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=music:hapa_haole:page_title&s[]=smokin&s[]=menehunes

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2014-02-07 10:07 ]

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 10:28 am   Permalink

Nice work. I added a few links to the article (which points out some other pages that need articles at some point).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation