[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel A most excellent adventure. Tiki road trip
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
A most excellent adventure. Tiki road trip
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-27 12:51 am   Permalink

After getting back to Canada and dealing with the cold on almost a daily basis I was ready for another leg on the Tiki Road Trip. Back to LA and first stop was Trader Sams at the Disney Hotel.
This place is really a great place in so many ways. The doors carved by Leroy from Oceanic are only a hint of what lies inside. The decor is Enchanted Tiki Room / Jungle cruise with lots of cool little things on the walls. Even a little Indiana Jones. Several of the drinks are delivered with some crazy antics. It makes the place fun and way more interesting than any other Tiki bar. The bartender Kelly really knows how to make a great Tiki cocktail. Also they usually have several great tiki mugs to match their signature drinks.
The drinks went down rather quickly and I had a serious buzz going real quick. Met Gene MacDonald, Swag Master of South Pacific Promotions. He showed me lots of cool tiki projects he had going including some stuff for Shag. What a nice guy and his stuff was real good quality.
Stopping in the next day after touring Adventureland a met another great guy. Nomeus from The Florida tiki scene. After grabbing a 151 swizzle together we made plans to meet at Tiki Ti a couple of days later...

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-31 6:47 pm   Permalink

Soma more visual treats of what Disney actually did right.

A couple of nice works of art for the collection. The Shipwreak and Krakatoa

When the Krakatoa is ordered this Volcano puts on a show. The Shipwreak in a bottle is very cool too.

[ This Message was edited by: Kilaueakyd 2014-06-02 23:32 ]

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-11 4:25 pm   Permalink

A couple of days later I checked out La Luz de Jesus Art Gallery then down Sunset Blvd for my first trip to the Legendary Tiki Ti. I met up with Nomeus and we met a few of the locals as we starting working our way down the cocktail list. Adrian aka Poly Pop joined us and shared a few stories with us, great guy and a real nice crowd.
Next it was off to The Tonga Hut in North LA. Great Decore and fabulous cocktails it exceeded our expectations. Loved that the bartenders featured some really unique specials to go along with an already great cocktail list. This is where things also got a little bit blurry. But I had a great time meeting some of the regulars. Jason we must go again. And another night at Trader Sam's too.

Kilaueakyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-11 11:43 pm   Permalink

This is when things started to lose focus...I had a good talk with the Moai later on. There were no hurt feelings.

On the way to Tiki Ti I stopped and took a few photos of some of the Tiki themed apartment buildings. Starting with Eli Hedley's Islander.

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-12 12:25 am   Permalink

Great posts Kil. Izzat you to the far right of Adrian?
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-12 07:05 am   Permalink

Digging the Animal Chin shirt. wearing my Bones Brigade hat right now as a matter of fact.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-19 12:03 am   Permalink

That guy on the right is Nomeus from Florida. I am the Polynesiac in the middle. We were both skaters in our day. It's interesting how so many tiki heads were skateboarders and into the punk/new wave scene. Does anyone know why?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation