FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-20 8:19 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to read your next update! Up here in Ohio The Fresh Market carries carries the Indian River brand juices. I'll have to pop in and see if they carry the new blend.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-22 3:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-09-20 20:19, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Can't wait to read your next update! Up here in Ohio The Fresh Market carries carries the Indian River brand juices. I'll have to pop in and see if they carry the new blend.

Mahalo Craig, that's good to hear. If they don't carry the blend, try the Valencia. Let me know if you think it makes a difference.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-24 4:02 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Hayward!

Found the Indian River Valencia juice at Fresh Market today, and they also had Minneola tangelos, which are almost identical to Honeybells. Going to experiment with blending the juices into some Mai Kai recipes this weekend.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-24 4:16 pm   Permalink

Yo Hayward, I'm at the point where I'd really like to dig deep into the site/blog, but the designer in me is not liking the site in the sense that there's no mobile version of it available and it's a pain to look at on the phone - margins are incredibly small (they're tight on desktop too) and there's a ton of text to read with limited navigation. Any plans to convert to something like Wordpress, Squarespace, etc? Not harping on you dude, just thinking forward. It could be a beautiful site for your great content.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-24 7:58 pm   Permalink

Keith, the blog is on the latest version of Wordpress and you should be able to see a mobile-friendly version. The only exception is the main index page (AtomicGrog.com), which is on a different server. If you land there, click on the banner, or just go here here to see the latest blogs:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/

In regards to the Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide, this is the page I keep bookmarked in Safari on my iPhone:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/mai-kai-cocktail-recipes/

The menu in the upper left offers navigation throughout the site and most of pages look pretty good. The search works OK too. There do seem to be some issues with the main Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide page. It sometimes bounces me to a non-mobile page, but I've been able to tap those menu bars in the upper left (next to "Slammie.com") and get back to the mobile site.

But I can see that the main page is still a little hard to navigate. I'll have to look into a way to better optimize it for mobile. In the meantime, I'd suggest you bookmark the recipes page shown above. It contains easy-to-find links to all the recipes. And the review/recipe pages also look fine in Safari on my iPhone. I can't predict how it will look on other phones. I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of Wordpress on that.

I hope this helps anyone looking at the site via their phones.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bkrownd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-09-25 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-20 00:05, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Also on tap Wednesday (and all weekend) at The Mai-Kai was a cocktail created specially for The Hukilau by general manager Kern Mattei:

I'll be sharing the recipe as next week's Cocktail of the Week in The Week in Tiki on The Atomic Grog. It's a simple yet flavor-packed combination of the distinctive Rhum Barbancourt with lime, grapefruit, cinnamon and coffee.

I saw this while browsing through the blog and I'm going to try making one as soon as I can find/make some cinnamon syrup. Are there any suggested tweaks or variations?

View Profile of bkrownd Send a personal message to bkrownd      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-26 12:09 am   Permalink

Aloha bkrownd, that's a good one. No need to tinker. Though you might want to seek out some fresh, locally-grown white grapefruit.

Okole maluna!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-26 9:41 pm   Permalink

The big news that I alluded to above is still to come, but in the meantime here's another significant update worth noting:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/

A Jet Pilot in The Molokai bar. (Photo by Hurricane Hayward, September, 2015)

The Jet Pilot tribute recipe has once again been updated (to version 4.5). Originally, the plan was to tweak the review along with all the other cocktails that now feature Hamilton 151 rum instead of Lemon Hart. But while I was in the midst of this, I received reports that the recipe had changed. In the months following Hamilton's introduction, I didn't note much of a change from the previous version beyond the rum enhancement, but after The Hukilau it was indeed confirmed that a tweak or two had been made.

I wanted to give it a few months and several different tastings to confirm the change before posting. Indeed, the latest tweak seems to be staying in place. And while it has been reported that falernum was removed from the recipe, I don't think this is the case. True, the sweetness was significantly reduced and the drink now has a more dry and spicy overall profile. I don't think this is a major step backwards. In fact, some may prefer this version.

Jet Pilot tribute recipe featuring Hamilton 151 rum from Guyana. (Photo by Hurricane Hayward, March 2015)

And for those who may find some of the previous tribute recipes more to their liking, I've now included the full recipes for versions 1, 2, 3, 3.5 and 4. Also, I've added several new photos, plus updated the commentary and history to include the arrival of Hamilton 151 and its affect on this high-octane classic.

Direct link to the tribute recipes:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

Now that all the Jet Pilot recipes are published, I'd like to hear from folks which one they think soars the highest. Also, let us know what you think about the latest update.

Okole maluna!

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-27 4:50 pm   Permalink

I have to say I like this latest recipe the best, by quite a bit. The Jet Pilot always seemed to me to be like a Zombie Lite, but this version stands on its own really well & is a drink I will make often (though a strong one).

Keep on doing the tiki gods' work, Hayward.

[ This Message was edited by: happy buddha 2015-09-27 16:52 ]

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-28 12:23 am   Permalink

Mahalo happy buddha! The new version might be the most balanced.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-28 1:49 pm   Permalink

The Mai-Kai Jet Pilot I had this past Thursday at the Molokai was quite good. No that Hamilton 151 is available locally I'll have to give your new version a spin.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-08 7:08 pm   Permalink

The latest review and recipe update ...

The Moonkist Coconut was tweaked to boost the richness and sweetness, which always seemed to be lacking in the "official" recipe from Esquire magazine, circa 1959. It's highly likely the recipe changed in the 55 years since that publication, and the updated version is much closer to what you'll taste today at The Mai-Kai.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/07/12/mai-kai-cocktail-review-in-search-of-the-elusive-moonkist-coconut/

The official menu photo was also added, and I included some info (and photo) on using a Thai coconut as a drinking vessel. Also note in the new top photo that when you order the Moonkist Coconut during happy hour (or when the coconut vessel is unavailable), you may receive the drink garnished with an orchid.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-03 9:31 pm   Permalink

At the seventh annual Hulaween on Friday, The Mai-Kai introduced the Appleton Zombie, a premium version of the iconic drink featuring Appleton Estate Rare Blend (aka Appleton Estate Extra). Replacing gold rum in the recipe, this addition elevates the drink and smooths out the rough edges to create one hell of a Zombie.

It may not be offered on a regular basis, but it doesn't hurt to ask if you're looking for a new twist on the Zombie. And it's definitely worth adding to your home repertoire.

The Zombie review is updated:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/01/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-theory-of-evolution-of-the-zombie/

Check out the full recap and photos of Hulaween:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/11/03/photos-the-undead-get-lively-at-the-mai-kais-seventh-annual-hulaween-party/

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-03 9:34 pm   Permalink

Beetlejuice and Lydia enjoy a Sidewinder’s Fang at Hulaween 2015.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2015-11-22 17:15 ]

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-12 10:37 am   Permalink

The latest updates ...

The Mara-Amu review is updated with new photos and the story behind the giant Tiki created by Will Anders as a tribute to the mug ...

Did you know it was created more than 10 years ago and spent some time at owner Dave Levy’s home before being installed in a secluded corner of the gardens in an employees-only area? It was recently called into service in a high-profile spot in the garden when another of The Mai-Kai’s old wooden Tikis fell victim to the elements.

See the full story:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/07/02/mai-kai-cocktail-review-mara-amu/

Also updated with new menu photos:

Pina Passion:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/03/13/mai-kai-cocktail-review-if-youre-passionate-about-tropical-drinks-this-ones-for-you/

Tahitian Breeze:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/19/mai-kai-cocktail-review-tasty-tahitian-breeze-is-packed-with-tropical-flavors-history/

Zula:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/03/05/mai-kai-cocktail-review-double-your-pleasure-with-the-exotic-and-delicious-zula/

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation