FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-08 12:49 pm   Permalink

Hurricane I'm wondering about Mai Kai's use of falernum - you state that Fee Brother's falernum is the best choice for accuracy but I wonder what your own thoughts are? Do they make their own or rely on Fees? I was about to order some and a lot of reviews state how bad and artificial it tastes which for my home bar is a let down (not to mention the artificial ingredients etc). I may likely just buy some more Taylor's Velvet because I get more for my money with it and it seems pretty reliable in most of my drinks. I prefer BG Reynolds but shipping blows.

So do you think the Mai Kai uses a more syrupy falernum or a thinner liqueur type? That differentiation will continue to bug me forever as Martin Cate thinks Taylor's is spot on, and Jeff Berry suggests a more syrupy solution. Do you think there'd be a drop in quality if I used Taylor's in my tribute drinks?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-04-08 1:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-08 11:41, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Just announced: The Atomic Grog celebrates its fifth anniversary!

Congrats Jim! My absolutely favorite cocktail resource. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Quote:

On 2016-04-08 12:49, kkocka wrote:

So do you think the Mai Kai uses a more syrupy falernum or a thinner liqueur type? That differentiation will continue to bug me forever as Martin Cate thinks Taylor's is spot on, and Jeff Berry suggests a more syrupy solution. Do you think there'd be a drop in quality if I used Taylor's in my tribute drinks?

Since making my own homemade falernum I've stopped using Fees and Velvet altogether and the homemade sings in the Mai Kai tribute recipes. I'd be surprised if Mai Kai used a pre-made falernum but also curious which style they do use.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-08 9:26 pm   Permalink

I hate to disappoint, but I just confirmed that The Mai-Kai does indeed use Fee Brothers falernum. KKocka: I would not use Velvet Falernum as a substitute since it doesn't have the same richness and sweetness. I don't think Fees is that bad at all, but I can see using homemade instead, as long it has the same general flavor and consistency. B.G. Reynolds is also probably a good substitute.

Teaser: There's a lot more to the story of falernum at The Mai-Kai, but I'll save that for another day.

AdOrAdam and mikehooker: Mahalo for the kinds words!

The official blog of The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-04-08 21:48 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-14 11:51 am   Permalink

Just posted: Another very cool one-off cocktail for a special event ...

Santero’s Elixir was the special Santeria Rum cocktail served at The Mai-Kai on Tuesday, April 12. (Photo by Hurricane Hayward)

The occasion was “Tuesday Tiki Night,” a Miami Rum Renaissance Festival tradition at which judges and early arrivals for the festival get to experience the full Mai-Kai experience, including a dinner show. There's usually a sponsor rum and special cocktail created by The Mai-Kai.

This year, it was a treat to have Santeria Rum from Rational Spirits and the Lost Spirits Distillery. Bryan Davis from Lost Spirits was in the house and particularly enjoyed the cocktail, Santero’s Elixir. Here he is with Marie King, manager of the Tonga Hut in Los Angeles ...

Other VIPs in attendance included Martin and Rebecca Cate (Smuggler’s Cove), Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White (The Hukilau), Suzanne Long (Longitude), Matt Pietrek (Cocktail Wonk), Ram Udwin (Boy Drinks World), Scott French (The Rum Trader), and many more.

The complex yet well-balanced cocktail was created by The Mai-Kai’s Kern Mattei. It spotlights the funky Santeria Rum and features some traditional Mai-Kai ingredients (lime, OJ, grapefruit, pimento dram, bitters) and a few new twists (pineapple syrup, ginger syrup).

It probably won't be a regular menu item, but it's worth mixing up at home if you come across a bottle of Santeria. Kern shared the recipe with me, which I've posted along with a full report on the event ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/13/miami-festival-specializes-in-education-but-reminds-us-that-rum-is-fun/#Santeros-Elixir

Okole maluna!

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-04-14 11:52 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-14 12:31 pm   Permalink

One bit of bad news to report:

Kohala Bay is apparently unavailable for several months. Manager Kern Mattei told me that the supply line got cut off at the distillery, and The Mai-Kai can't get any more from their distributor. They'll probably use Coruba in the meantime, but it could have an impact on some drinks that depend on the distinctive Kohala Bay flavor (the Rum Barrel comes to mind). It's iffy that it will be back in time for The Hukilau.

However, I did hear from one blog reader in town for the Miami Rum Festival who said he found Kohala Bay at both Roy's in Fort Pierce and Sunset Corners in Miami. So at least it hasn't disappeared off store shelves yet. But I would probably recommend stocking up.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-18 2:17 pm   Permalink

Alright boys and girls, I whipped up a tribute to Black Magic last night. I'm afraid the hype got the best of me - not that it was a bad drink, but I was expecting to be completely blown away. I think maybe I was focusing too much on the coffee (which I brewed as suggested even w/the preferred Hurricane Hayward™ brand). Granted I had to sub 1/2 oz agave for the 3/4 honey mix because it was 1130 at night and I wasn't about to whip up the honey until Tuesday night, but I don't think that was a big difference. What I did like I'll say is that the drink tasted like old school tiki.

This also seems remarkably similar to Mutiny just based off of ingredients. What seems to make this the best seller?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-18 4:11 pm   Permalink

The black magic is my favorite drink period, but it can be kind of temperamental. I do think the honey makes a difference, and be sure to use fresh juices. But the coffee is key. I make it strong and let it chill all day long before using. When it comes off just right, for me there isn't an equal. Just so many strong complex flavors (strong rum, coffee, fresh juice, honey, cinnamon, pimento dram) perfectly balanced.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-19 3:33 pm   Permalink

I haven't tried the Black Magic yet, but thought I'd throw this in for thought.

I have a Kindle book on making Iced Coffee. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Iced-Coffee-Recipes/dp/1475164211/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461104538&sr=1-1&keywords=iced+coffee

(hope that link works right).

It states that to make proper iced coffee from grounds you should "cold-brew" it. Start with 1/4 cup of course coffee grounds and 1 cup of water. Combine and let sit overnight. Next morning, add another cup of water and then filter out the grounds.
It's supposed to be less bitter.

I've used it for iced coffee and it works good....wondering if it'd be a good process for brewing coffee for the Black Magic.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-19 7:24 pm   Permalink

kkocka, don't feel bad. It took many of us lots of tries to get the Black Magic right. It's not an easy one. And, truth be told, it's not on my Top 10 (I have both the Mutiny and Hukilau rated higher). But it's all personal preference. I prefer the spice of the Pernod-bitters in the Mutiny to the allspice in the Black Magic. And the Hukilau is less coffee and more passion fruit with a lighter rum.

But as happy buddha stated, you'll want to make sure to use rich honey (just combine 2 parts honey to 1 part water in a plastic bottle and shake). No need to heat like some recipes say.

The recipes for all three of the above are pretty solid, but I'll be posting updates soon with tweaks to account for the lack of cinnamon syrup in the current recipes. And The Hukilau is now being made without coffee, I'm afraid.

howlinowl: I may give the cold brew a try at some point. It just can't be too watered down like iced coffee. It needs to be intense but not bitter. I also like to let it chill in the fridge for a day or so before using.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-19 7:34 pm   Permalink

A Fifth of Grog: Celebrate our fifth anniversary at The Mai-Kai on April 30

The Atomic Grog celebrates its fifth anniversary on Saturday, April 30, with a special cocktail party in The Molokai lounge at The Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale featuring live instrumental surf music from Skinny Jimmy Stingray, drink specials, giveaways, and more.

The party runs from 6 to 10 p.m. Skinny Jimmy will play three solo sets starting at around 6:30. In between sets, Jimmy and Hurricane Hayward will spin their favorite instro surf, exotica and retro tunes. They’ll also preview The Hukilau 2016 with music from the artists performing at the June 8-12 event at The Mai-Kai and Pier 66 hotel.

There will also be a Mai-Kai trivia contest with two winners receiving four-day Aloha Passes for The Hukilau. We’ll give away some other goodies, including Atomic Grog T-shirts. Plus, we’ll have shirts for sale.

Happy hour runs from 4:30 (when the bar opens) to 7 p.m. In addition, the K.O. Cooler and Tahitian Breeze cocktails are the regular Saturday specials (half-price all night). In a nod to The Atomic Grog, the Yeoman’s Grog will also be half-price all night. And as a bonus for fans of The Atomic Grog’s Okole Maluna Society, a special “lost cocktail” will be available (between 6 and 7 p.m. only): The Demerara Float. This classic drink from the original 1956 menu packs a punch with two Demerara rums, including a floater of 151.

There will also be plenty of tasty food available with the recent addition of a special new small plates menu (steamed buns, tacos, sushi, et al.) in addition to the traditional pupu platter and appetizer menu that’s half-price during happy hour. The Mai-Kai’s new chef has given the kitchen a creative boost. You could also enjoy the party before or after dinner in one of the many secluded dining rooms, or take in The Mai-Kai’s Polynesian Islander Revue, the longest-running authentic South Seas stage show in the United States, including Hawaii.

The event will mark the debut of Deerfield Beach-based Skinny Jimmy performing solo at The Mai-Kai. His all-instrumental band is typically a power trio with a bassist and drummer, but he’s been working on special material designed to be performed in a more intimate lounge setting. Have no fear: He’ll be his usual bombastic self on electric guitar, but the role of the rhythm section will be played by carefully curated, pre-recorded backing tracks.

He’ll be playing en eclectic mix of some of his favorite surf, rock ‘n’ roll and exotica songs in three hour-long sets. Expect to hear everything from Duane Eddy’s "Rebel Rouser" to Herb Alpert’s "The Lonely Bull" to "Blue Hawaii" as performed by The Makaha Sons. This will be the first Atomic Grog anniversary party since our first birthday back in 2012, when Skinny Jimmy and his old band also performed.

Here's the full story, including the Top 5 things that have made The Atomic Grog what it is today:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/19/a-fifth-of-grog-celebrate-our-fifth-anniversary-at-the-mai-kai-on-april-30/

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-20 11:42 am   Permalink

So my other necessary drink to test for tonight's event was the Deep Sea Diver; everything made as-is. Although I blended for the 20 sec required which should be enough time to properly mix up that batter into the drink, I still was getting small chunks through my straw and overall the drink didn't seem as sweet and velvety as I had imagined. I was thinking a little more ice to help break down the batter and maybe another 10 secs blending (to accommodate for my very basic Hamilton Beach drink mixer). I also created a super small batch of the batter just for myself with this one test drink - creating more batter for more guests at once would allow me to whisk better and more thoroughly.

Any suggestions, to anybody out there? I know the drink become very residue-y, but that's normal. I don't think the small chunks in the drink and eventually through the straw are, however. =\

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-20 8:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-20 11:42, kkocka wrote:
So my other necessary drink to test for tonight's event was the Deep Sea Diver; everything made as-is. Although I blended for the 20 sec required which should be enough time to properly mix up that batter into the drink, I still was getting small chunks through my straw and overall the drink didn't seem as sweet and velvety as I had imagined. I was thinking a little more ice to help break down the batter and maybe another 10 secs blending (to accommodate for my very basic Hamilton Beach drink mixer). I also created a super small batch of the batter just for myself with this one test drink - creating more batter for more guests at once would allow me to whisk better and more thoroughly.

Any suggestions, to anybody out there? I know the drink become very residue-y, but that's normal. I don't think the small chunks in the drink and eventually through the straw are, however. =

A good tip is to not put the batter into your iced cocktail while still hot, or even warm. I try to let it cool to room temperature. It should remain liquid, though a little thick. But if the temperate difference isn't that big, it shouldn't clump up when it hits the cold drink. Another additional tip, which Beachbum Berry recommends, is to strain the cocktail through a fine-mesh wire sieve after blending. I don't find it necessary, but you can get rid of any solids this way, pressing gently to express all the liquid. Then add more crushed ice to the glass.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-21 10:43 am   Permalink

My Mai Kai night went off w/o any issues, be it batter or coffee. Not the biggest fan of their Jet Pilot however - something about it was a little too strong/rum forward, more so than the 34 Zombie in my opinion. I gotta favor the Steve Crane version still, though w/plenty of Fassionola around I will be dipping into many more of the Mai Kai tributes. Thanks a bunch!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-21 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2016-04-21 10:43, kkocka wrote:
My Mai Kai night went off w/o any issues, be it batter or coffee. Not the biggest fan of their Jet Pilot however - something about it was a little too strong/rum forward, more so than the 34 Zombie in my opinion. I gotta favor the Steve Crane version still, though w/plenty of Fassionola around I will be dipping into many more of the Mai Kai tributes. Thanks a bunch!

Aloha Keith, glad it went well. You're right, the Jet Pilot is considered the strongest drink, so it's not for everyone. My recommended use for that fassionola would be the Cobra's Kiss and Special Reserve Daiquiri. Their Mai Tai (and Suffering Bastard) ain't bad either.

Okole maluna!

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-21 5:15 pm   Permalink

Agreed, that suffering bastard recipe is one of my favorites. The Mai Kai tributes are some of the best tiki recipes available, and I know I'm not the only one making them more often than Dons, Vics or the Bums. Hurricane Heyward is truly doing the tiki gods' work. Thanks Hurricane!

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation