FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-01 2:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-22 23:18, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Late one night, I had only an ounce or two of juice left and needed to make a few more drinks, so I got creative. Why not combine the fresh-squeezed Persian lime juice with the bottled Key lime juice? I wonder if a simple 50-50 mix would work? That's actually not bad, I thought after a small taste. A few cocktails later, I was sure I was onto something.

The Atomic Grog's Mai-Kai lime juice blend: Equal parts fresh-squeezed Persian lime juice and bottled Key lime juice from concentrate.

I bought a bottle of Mrs. Biddles to try your 50-50 blend. My friends were having kind of a communal party a month or so back. Everyone bring whatever. So I tossed the bottle in my bag with some other goodies figuring I'll make a batch of something and see how people like it. I don't recall what drink I made, it definitely wasn't a mai kai recipe, but it came out suuuper tart mixed equally with persians. To the point I had to doctor the drinks. Got home and put the key lime juice in the back of the fridge where it's been forgotten and possibly gone bad by now (no idea the shelf life of this stuff once opened). Curious, do you do this with all drinks now, or just ones from the Mai Kai? I've been on sort a Mai Kai cocktail hiatus since the Kohala Bay shortage but wanna get back to it soon cuz my body's having withdrawals.

Has anyone else experimented with this blend yet?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-01 4:37 pm   Permalink

Yep I tried it once & used the rest to make a pie

I'm sure it adds some dimension in huge batches like the Mai Kai makes, but a 1:1 in a cocktail is way overpowering imho. I prefer Hurricane's tributes with all fresh juices.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2016-06-01 9:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2016-06-01 14:07, mikehooker wrote:
Curious, do you do this with all drinks now, or just ones from the Mai Kai? I've been on sort a Mai Kai cocktail hiatus since the Kohala Bay shortage but wanna get back to it soon cuz my body's having withdrawals.

Has anyone else experimented with this blend yet?

I prefer a 50-50 mix in Mai-Kai cocktails, but you could easily go 2:1 Persian to Key lime juice and get the same effect. I do use it in other cocktails, depending on the recipe.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-02 09:31 am   Permalink

FWIW, there is a world of difference between the Key Limes grown in South Florida and those from Mexico; the latter tend to be much harsher...the only problem with the Florida ones being basically impossible to find outside of farmers markets in S. Fla, and even then. But if you have a chance, definitely worth trying.

PS Key lime juice also benefits from "resting" between juicing and serving. In my experience 2-3 hours is ideal. YMMV.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2016-06-02 09:33 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-02 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-01 21:31, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I prefer a 50-50 mix in Mai-Kai cocktails, but you could easily go 2:1 Persian to Key lime juice and get the same effect. I do use it in other cocktails, depending on the recipe.

I like the 50-50 mix in Arriano's Navy Grog Fizz and as a sub in Grog Log Hurricanes.

[ This Message was edited by: PalmtreePat 2016-06-02 12:57 ]

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2016-06-15 01:58 am   Permalink

Cocktail highlights at The Mai-Kai during The Hukilau:

On Wednesday, we confirmed that The Hukilau no longer contains coffee. Updated recipe to come.

On Friday, Tim "Swanky" Glazner's symposium, "The Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure," focused on the Mystery Drink and famous Mystery Girls. There were many special guests in attendance in the Pier 66 ballroom, and one lucky guests received the iconic drink and dance from Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid ...

Swanky also briefly discussed the legendary mixologist Mariano Licudine ...

At The Mai-Kai on Saturday, it was good to see the Deep Sea Diver still featuring the vintage glassware (see image above), resurrected by Beachbum Berry and Cocktail Kingdom ...

We asked Jeff if they had any issues with breakage or theft at Latitude 29. The glasses seem to be very sturdy, he said. And the gooey residue from the honey-butter mix keeps most potential thieves from pocketing them. Bars with valuable glasses should take note: Just fill them with a drink so messy nobody would want to take them.

It doesn't get much better than cocktails with Shag, followed by dinner and Polynesian Islander Review ...

Christie "Tiki Kiliki" White presented The Mai-Kai's Dave Levy (left), Kern Mattei and Pia Dahlquist with a special gift of 40,000 swizzle sticks after organizing a Kickstarter campaign to raise the money ...

The new swizzles are based on the classic design, and also feature one of the famed cannibal Tikis at the end of the longer one ...

They were quickly put to use on Sunday during The Hukilau's Finale, where they were featured in the three "lost cocktails" from the 1956 menu, served at a large event for the first time in decades ...

Island Queen

Liquid Gold

Martinique Cocktail

Later, we tried Kern's special drink created using sponsor Rhum Barbancourt, the Spicy Hula Girl. It also included an inventive garnish created by new chef Mark Rivera ...

Recipe and review coming soon.

See our story on the chef and his tasty new appetizer menu:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/06/09/king-kai-leads-procession-of-new-tikis-into-the-mai-kai/#new

We also have full coverage (and 40+ photos) of the new 10-foot King Kai (carved by Will Anders) installed in the gardens. Plus the new trio of Tikis carved by Anders, Tom Fowner and Jeff Chouinard:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/06/09/king-kai-leads-procession-of-new-tikis-into-the-mai-kai/

Last by not least, our booty of merchandise from The Hukilau included two great new mugs based on historic Tikis at The Mai-Kai: The official event mug by Eekum Bookum based on this guy ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/05/17/the-hukilau-updates-high-tide-party-announced-rum-sponsor-rundown-merchandise-preview-with-photos/the-hukilau-2016-mug-tiki-today/
And a new pendant-wearing mug by Tiki Diablo (based on a seldom-seen Tiki from the Molokai) ...

On the left is a special new Mai-Kai decanter (based on the original design but much larger), created by Eeekum Bookum for Tiki Kiliki to present to her staff and special guests. Sponsor Don Q Rum had a hand in making this happen, just as they did with the original:
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=946
Also note that one of the new Tikis (carved by Fowner) in the porte-cochère is also based on the Tangaroa-style decanter:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/06/09/king-kai-leads-procession-of-new-tikis-into-the-mai-kai/37-tangaroa-sideview-052816/

Between the mugs you'll see The Hukilau official pendant, which pays tribute to the iconic Barney West moai:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/06/09/king-kai-leads-procession-of-new-tikis-into-the-mai-kai/16-barney-west-moai-052116/

I chose the painted finish, but I might grab the others:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/05/17/the-hukilau-updates-high-tide-party-announced-rum-sponsor-rundown-merchandise-preview-with-photos/hukilau2016-pendants-on-sale/
Look for news on online merch sales soon. Also in the pic above are a bunch of the swizzles, plus a sticker for Swanky's upcoming book, "Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant."

No word yet on the availability of The Hukilau mugs for the general public, but the Tiki Diablo mugs are for sale here here:
http://tikidiablo.bigcartel.com/

Also, look for a new Tiki Diablo mug honoring The Mai-Kai at Swanky's upcoming book release party on Sept. 16-17
https://www.facebook.com/events/1044865908886120/

The official blog of The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-06-15 02:03 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-15 04:54 am   Permalink

It is so cool that the Mai Kai is getting better and improving over time.
It's so hard after a long day of doing what makes the place go to then pick up
and do improvements and spend time and money doing it as well.

The Kahiki at the end did almost nothing, the last "improvement" I can think of was painting the tiki with Day Glo.

To all who help make these improvements happen good job!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2016-06-15 11:08 am   Permalink

Forgot one last thing: On the final day, I got to hang out with Mr. Berry and had him sign my newly framed Sippin' Safari photo (also signed by photographer Jonpaul Balak) ...

We then ended the night with a flourish, the Kona Coffee Grog ...

tikiskip: I had a conversation with Jeff about all the improvements and we agreed that the restaurant has so many "moving parts" that it's almost impossible to keep up with them all, but they're doing a great job with what they can. They actually have a staff on site all day (and several maintenance shops in the back) to keep up with everything, though it's not easy. For every major enhancement, like the Tikis and the lights, there are other issues to deal with. The heavy weekend rains exposed new leaks in the roofs, which I'm sure will have to be addressed soon. Of interest to this thread, some of the cocktails are suffering due to the disappearance of Kohala Bay, which will also need to be dealt with (more on that soon). But overall, they're taking really encouraging steps to improve where needed. Everyone agreed that the new chef is awesome. I would encourage everyone to try all the food again, even stuff you may have been disappointed with before. The new pupus are excellent, and I've tried several Cantonese dishes that he's turned completely around.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-15 1:05 pm   Permalink

"They actually have a staff on site all day (and several maintenance shops in the back) to keep up with everything,"

Just think about that though, most places can't afford that kind of staff.
At my place I had to do all the repairs and décor AFTER I worked all day cooking food.
Then on the weekends I had to clean and do books ect.

The Hukilau has brought in money that is helping with this too I am sure.
Not to mention the Yankee Clipper, or whatever they call that now.

It's good to see some good come out of this bunch of tiki nutz.

The Mai Kai is just the best tiki restaurant alive today for sure.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2016-06-15 2:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2016-06-15 13:05, tikiskip wrote:
Just think about that though, most places can't afford that kind of staff.
At my place I had to do all the repairs and décor AFTER I worked all day cooking food.
Then on the weekends I had to clean and do books ect.

That's part of the reason they're only open for dinner, but the kitchen is open lots of days not only prepping, but helping service a robust catering and special events business.

If you haven't seen this, you'll want to check it out or set your VCR for 9:30 a.m. tomorrow ...

Jim Stacy returns to The Mai-Kai in a rerun of his Cooking Channel show ...
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/offbeat-eats-with-jim-stacy/100/day-at-the-beach.html

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-15 7:27 pm   Permalink

Very enjoyable thread/website. Thanks for the gusto!

View Profile of lll888 Send a personal message to lll888      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2016-06-16 3:56 pm   Permalink

The Mai-Kai rum guide page is updated with the latest on Kohala Bay, which is to say it's still in limbo ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#dagger

I have, however, updated my recommended Kohala Bay substitutes ...

1 – Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum and El Dorado 12 Demerara rum (equal parts).

2 – Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum and Myers’s dark Jamaican rum and Gosling’s 151 rum (equal parts). (Mahalo to AdOrAdam for this blend)

3 – Coruba Original Jamaican rum.

4 – Denizen Merchant’s Reserve.

5 – (Tie) – Bacardi Black and Ron Carlos Black.

Not recommended: Myers’s or Blackwell.

See the full report and tasting notes:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes

Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2016-06-17 11:43 am   Permalink

I received a new report from The Mai-Kai that they've been told that the outage is temporary, but still no definite date on Kohala Bay's return. In the meantime, they're looking into other options, including their own blend direct from a distillery.

So you may be asking, what does this all mean when I'm ordering a cocktail at The Mai-Kai? As some of you may have noticed at The Hukilau, there are a few drinks that definitely suffer from the loss. There are a few others that are noticeable, and there are others that don't really matter. I've sampled them all at least once, so here's my take ...

The Zombie remains as great as ever.

Kohala Bay is missed: The Barrel O' Rum suffers the most. Using Bacardi Black, it misses the 2-ounce jolt of dark Jamaican rum. Together with the seasonal red grapefruit juice instead of white, the drink is now too fruity and lacks the bite of the classic recipe. The Jet Pilot also misses the heat and flavor from Kohala Bay, though not as much as the Barrel. And the Mutiny also seems a little more mild and fruity, though the flavor profile is not altered as much.

A slight difference: The Black Magic, 151 Swizzle and the Special Planters Punch are all fine, but they suffer a slight loss of flavor. I wouldn't avoid them, but adjust your expectations. A side note: The Swizzle seems to have returned to an older, more classic recipe with much less sweetness, so that helps a lot. Expect an updated review and recipe soon.

Not noticeable: The Zombie, Cobra's Kiss, Yeoman's Grog, Oh So Deadly, Bora Bora, and Tiki Swizzle all seem to be up to the same standards. I had all of them at The Hukilau or shortly before, and didn't really miss the Kohala Bay. Another side note: The Oh So Deadly received a major upgrade with the addition of falernum. I'll update the recipe and review soon.

Stay tuned for more updates.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2016-06-19 8:08 pm   Permalink

Interesting story on Don's Mix from Punch, quoting Messrs. Berry, Cate, et al.

http://punchdrink.com/articles/diy-dons-mix-cocktails-recipe/

Looks like Martin faces the same issues with grapefruit juice as The Mai-Kai: "We like to adjust the ratio based on the kind of grapefruits we're getting seasonally. About two months a year, we’re able to get white grapefruit, and the rest of the time we have pink; the pinks are a little sweeter, so we adjust as needed."

heylownine

Posted: 2016-06-19 9:04 pm   Permalink

Since I'm becoming more willing to trade in fresh pink grapefruit when I can't get an Oro Blanco (fresh pink > canned white), I'm going to start adding dashes of Fee's Grapefruit bitters to fresh pink grapefruit to try and keep that sharpness of a white grapefruit.

Things would be so much easier if the local grocery stores would carry the fruit being grown 30 miles to the north!

Kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation