FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 412
Posted: 2017-03-01 4:47 pm   Permalink

For me the Black Magic, Mutiny, and Yeomans Grog, followed closely by the Barrel o Rum & Zombie. Hurricanes recipes are a revelation. I like some more than others, but can't say I've ever been underwhelmed by any.

 
View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Posts: 7220
From: Las Vegas
Posted: 2017-03-01 8:20 pm   Permalink

HH- just made the Demerara float
(I used a lil less lime as I usually do)
Awesome
Thank you


Jon

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2017-03-01 20:21 ]


 
View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1395
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2017-03-06 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-01 12:48, lll888 wrote:
Question:

If there were 3 Mai-Kai cocktails to try, what would they be? In all honesty, I've been underwhelmed with what I've tried.



lll888, I'm guessing you're mixing at home and not visiting The Mai-Kai. If it were the latter, I stick by my posted ratings:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/
Everything in the Top 20 is outstanding.

Unfortunately, in a home bar, it's not possible to totally duplicate some of the secret mixes, unique juices and rums, not to mention the experience (see: Mystery Drink). But I'd recommend these as my Top 5 to make at home:

151 Swizzle:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/#tribute

Special Planter's Punch:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/09/15/mai-kai-cocktail-review-special-planters-punch-is-tropical-drink-history-in-a-glass/#tribute

Jet Pilot:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

Yeoman's Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/12/mai-kai-cocktail-review-even-landlubbers-can-appreciate-a-strong-ration-of-yeomans-grog/#tribute

Cobra's Kiss:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/20/mai-kai-cocktail-review-cobra-kiss-is-an-exotic-taste-explosion-guaranteed-to-strike-your-fancy/#tribute

I've got some updates in the works - including new Black Magic, Mutiny and Hukilau recipes - so stay tuned.

Okole maluna!




 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mmaurice
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Posts: 86
Posted: 2017-03-12 5:30 pm   Permalink

I was just down there, finally able to take my 8yr olds there for the Sunday show. They loved it.

I was able to obtain some provisions unavailable here in Atlanta while down there, OFTD, Lemon Hart 151 and a couple others. I think I might need somebody willing to put together care packages to ship north, LOL.

Anyways, maybe this has been discussed elsewhere and if so, point me there. What do you think of OFTD as a sub for Kohala Bay?


 
View Profile of mmaurice Send a personal message to mmaurice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Posts: 417
From: Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Posted: 2017-03-12 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-12 17:30, mmaurice wrote:
I was just down there, finally able to take my 8yr olds there for the Sunday show. They loved it.

I was able to obtain some provisions unavailable here in Atlanta while down there, OFTD, Lemon Hart 151 and a couple others. I think I might need somebody willing to put together care packages to ship north, LOL.

Anyways, maybe this has been discussed elsewhere and if so, point me there. What do you think of OFTD as a sub for Kohala Bay?



OFTD on its own is not a good sub for KB, it's alcohol content is too high and it does not have enough Jamaican rum in it. There's some good discussion about subs here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45641&forum=10&start=105
_________________


 View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1395
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2017-03-18 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-12 17:30, mmaurice wrote:
I was just down there, finally able to take my 8yr olds there for the Sunday show. They loved it.

I was able to obtain some provisions unavailable here in Atlanta while down there, OFTD, Lemon Hart 151 and a couple others. I think I might need somebody willing to put together care packages to ship north, LOL.

Anyways, maybe this has been discussed elsewhere and if so, point me there. What do you think of OFTD as a sub for Kohala Bay?



As a matter of fact, I'm playing around with a combination of OFTD and the new Plantation Dark, which is heavy on the Jamaican funk, as a possible Kohala Bay sub. I'd like to get this figured out before I update any more recipes. My initial thought is that it has a good chance of cracking the top three:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes



If anyone has access to these, I'd like to invite you to join me in figuring out the best proportion. I started with 3 parts of the 80 proof and 1 part of the 138 proof. But this is around 94-proof, which is closer to Dagger's 97 than it is to the 87.6 of Kohala Bay. It would need to be a 6:1 mix for that, which might not be as punchy, and definitely less dark. Let me know if anyone does any experimenting.



 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LeftarmofBuddha
Tiki Centralite

Joined: May 31, 2016
Posts: 21
From: Murfreesboro Tenn
Posted: 2017-03-19 09:59 am   Permalink

Aloha, Hurricane! This is Tim from Tennessee who has messaged you on facebook messenger a bit asking about OFTD, Hamilton's Jamaican rums, and your tribute recipes. I do have both these rums and enjoy them but sadly am unable to compare them directly with Kohala Bay, having never tried it. I've been able to try many of your suggested substitutions and like you mentioned, the plantation dark is a little light and subtle compared to the flavors built up by the other subs. I've been mixing Coruba, Hamilton Black, and OFTD in a ratio of 2:1:1/2 respectively and it has been delicious. I feel it is very similar to the Smith and Cross/El Dorado 12 mix in it's richness and ability to standout in a cocktail. I saw that the new Lost Spirits Navy Style 61% is touted as tasting like smith and cross meets el dorado but that is significantly higher proof than Kohala Bay. Even if I never get to try the real deal, which appears to be more and more likely as time goes on, it has been a lot of fun chasing after this flavor profile which is easily my favorite.

 
View Profile of LeftarmofBuddha Send a personal message to LeftarmofBuddha  Email LeftarmofBuddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Posts: 417
From: Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Posted: 2017-03-19 1:59 pm   Permalink

Remind me, what's the proof on Kahalo Bay?

 
View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Nov 05, 2007
Posts: 463
From: Like...The Valley
Posted: 2017-03-19 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-19 13:59, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Remind me, what's the proof on Kahalo Bay?


It's 87.6 proof.


 
View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Posts: 417
From: Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Posted: 2017-03-19 7:47 pm   Permalink

I've just thrown a hand grenadine into the KB subs mixture. More to follow:


_________________


 
View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mmaurice
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Posts: 86
Posted: 2017-03-20 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:


As a matter of fact, I'm playing around with a combination of OFTD and the new Plantation Dark, which is heavy on the Jamaican funk, as a possible Kohala Bay sub. I'd like to get this figured out before I update any more recipes. My initial thought is that it has a good chance of cracking the top three:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes

If anyone has access to these, I'd like to invite you to join me in figuring out the best proportion. I started with 3 parts of the 80 proof and 1 part of the 138 proof. But this is around 94-proof, which is closer to Dagger's 97 than it is to the 87.6 of Kohala Bay. It would need to be a 6:1 mix for that, which might not be as punchy, and definitely less dark. Let me know if anyone does any experimenting.



Can't get either of those in Atlanta. How about mailing a couple this way?


 
View Profile of mmaurice Send a personal message to mmaurice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1395
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2017-03-20 9:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-19 09:59, LeftarmofBuddha wrote:
Aloha, Hurricane! This is Tim from Tennessee who has messaged you on facebook messenger a bit asking about OFTD, Hamilton's Jamaican rums, and your tribute recipes. I do have both these rums and enjoy them but sadly am unable to compare them directly with Kohala Bay, having never tried it. I've been able to try many of your suggested substitutions and like you mentioned, the plantation dark is a little light and subtle compared to the flavors built up by the other subs. I've been mixing Coruba, Hamilton Black, and OFTD in a ratio of 2:1:1/2 respectively and it has been delicious. I feel it is very similar to the Smith and Cross/El Dorado 12 mix in it's richness and ability to standout in a cocktail. I saw that the new Lost Spirits Navy Style 61% is touted as tasting like smith and cross meets el dorado but that is significantly higher proof than Kohala Bay. Even if I never get to try the real deal, which appears to be more and more likely as time goes on, it has been a lot of fun chasing after this flavor profile which is easily my favorite.



Aloha Tim! When I get ahold of Hamilton Dark, I'll let you know what I think. Your blend seems very close to jokeiii's 5:1:1 blend of the same rums. I was actually at The Mai-Kai the night Ed Hamilton brought that rum by to sample, but it was considered way too funky on its own as something they'd want to stock. I get the feeling that they don't want to deal with making their own blends. But, of course, we're free to tinker. I'm hoping that if we come up with a simple blend, they might consider it.

I have the new Lost Spirits Navy Rum, but it's got way too much of an in-your-face molasses flavor to be in the ballpark for this application. But I do enjoy it

CincyTikiCraig: That Plantation Jamaica 2001 is great stuff, but pretty rare and pricey. It might be good in small doses in a more complex mix.

mmaurice: Total Wine carries lots of Plantation's rums in Florida. Do they have stores up your way?


_________________
Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times


 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mmaurice
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Posts: 86
Posted: 2017-03-22 3:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:


mmaurice: Total Wine carries lots of Plantation's rums in Florida. Do they have stores up your way?




We have Plantation, just a limited selection. Haven't found any place in ATL with the OFTD. I bought a couple bottles recently while visiting Ft. Lauderdale.

Ironically, we have 1 of 2 TV left in the country and they don't distribute their "fine" rums here at all either. Bought a couple bottles of the dark down there to have around as a novelty.


 
View Profile of mmaurice Send a personal message to mmaurice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1395
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2017-03-23 10:00 pm   Permalink

While we're on the subject of rum, I thought I'd provide an update on The Mai-Kai's standard white and gold well rums, which often are overlooked. Way back on the first page of this thread, there was discussion of Ron Carlos, the longtime budget rum that The Mai-Kai has used for many years as the base rum in many cocktails. During a January 2016 back bar tour, you could still see the Ron Carlos gold and white rums flanking Kohala Bay, the late great dark Jamaican rum ...



While we know that Kohala Bay has since been replaced by Appleton Estate Reserve Blend , I wasn't aware that the silver and gold rums had also changed until my latest tour in February 2017. I never get tired of taking photos of this incredible wall of rum ...



If you look closely down in the lower right, you'll notice that bottles of Appleton Reserve have taken up residence in the same slot where Kohala Bay was previously located. And on either side you'll also note new white and gold rums ...



I confirmed that Ron Castillo is the new welll rum. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it's not much different than Ron Carlos: A cheap but decent quality Spanish-style rum with enough body to serve as a base and keep expenses low. Ron Carlos is imported in bulk from the Virgin Islands and generally assumed to be provided by Cruzan. Ron Castillo is from Puerto Rico, and I've heard rumors that it might be bulk Bacardi rum.

While Ron Castillo is the new white and gold base rum, I'm pretty sure that The Mai-Kai still uses Ron Carlos Black in a few cocktails as well. It fills the same supporting role as the gold and white rums, providing body and not competing with the rums that are used for flavor. It's typically the Jamaican and Demerara rums that do this. This combination of Spanish white/gold with Jamaican dark and Demerara (usually overproof) rums is a style that closely follows the Don the Beachcomber template going all the way back to the Zombie. The Mai-Kai currently uses multiple Appleton products from Jamaica, plus Hamilton 86 and Lemon Hart 151 from Guyana.

The reason for my February bar tour was a visit by a special guest from Seattle, Justin Wojslaw of the Diller Room. Here he is with manager Kern Mattei ...



Justin is a rising star in the bar scene and a huge Tiki cocktail enthusiast. I was happy to give him the grand tour on his first visit to The Mai-Kai. I was also pleased to learn that he's very much a traditionalist when it comes to creating cocktails, and he was blown away by his experiece. If you're ever in Seattle, be sure to look him up. Here's an in-depth profile with photos, video and recipes from Cocktail Wonk ...
http://cocktailwonk.com/2016/05/at-the-bar-with-seattles-tiki-warrior-justin-wojslaw.html

Okole maluna!


 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Posts: 417
From: Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Posted: 2017-03-23 10:37 pm   Permalink

Great update Hayward. I can tell you (as someone who sold Bacardi for many years) that Castillo is, in fact. a Bacardi product.
_________________


 
View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation