FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-26 7:08 pm   Permalink

Hurricane and Mike Hooker: excellent posts! Very informative.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-26 9:29 pm   Permalink

HH,

A bit further south in Miami, we have a chain of Cuban juiceries called "El Palacio de los Jugos" (The Palace of the Juices) and not only do they carry unpasteurized juices, they will also juice oranges, pineapples, etc. to order. The prices are also very, very reasonable.

Lastly, most of the Costco warehouses around here will carry Lambeth Groves unpasteurized orange juice ($7/gal!) which to my palate tastes as good as Kennesaw.

Hope this helps someone!

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2017-05-26 21:30 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-27 12:43 am   Permalink

LeftarmofBuddha: It's good to hear you're able to re-create the Mai-Kai cocktail experience without ever having had the pleasure of tasting the real deal. Perhaps some day you'll reach Nirvana ;>) ... In regards to the ingredients in Terry's Key Lime Pie Juice, I'm sure the lemon juice is minimal, probably to balance out the tart lime a bit. If you're mixing concentrated key lime juice with fresh Persian limes, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a small amount of fresh lemon as well.

mikehooker: I'm very interested to hear about your further experiments with key lime juice. I've tried juicing them myself, but the result is nowhere near as palatable as the bottled juice. It's curious that limes are not front and center on the bars in Cuba. We'll have to rely on your palate to tell us what's going on there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some blend of lime juices going on behind the scenes. As for the historical timeline, you're correct in assuming that by the post-Prohibition Tiki era, Persian limes were the predominant variety. However, I still wonder if the unique geographical location of Florida (and Cuba) allowed key lime juice to remain a viable option (and possibly a favorite of bartenders).

jokeiii: Mahalo for reminding me about the great juices down in Miami. The Palace of the Juices has always been on my radar, but now I really need to check it out. I'm sure the rest of the country is jealous of our bounty. Also, I was not aware of Costco's relationship with Lambeth Groves. I assume that's a regional perk as well.

Okole maluna!

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-27 06:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-27 00:43, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I'm very interested to hear about your further experiments with key lime juice. I've tried juicing them myself, but the result is nowhere near as palatable as the bottled juice. It's curious that limes are not front and center on the bars in Cuba. We'll have to rely on your palate to tell us what's going on there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some blend of lime juices going on behind the scenes. As for the historical timeline, you're correct in assuming that by the post-Prohibition Tiki era, Persian limes were the predominant variety. However, I still wonder if the unique geographical location of Florida (and Cuba) allowed key lime juice to remain a viable option (and possibly a favorite of bartenders).

HH, some quick thoughts on the lime thing. Last time I was down in the Keys, one of the bartenders explained how they let key lime juice sit for 2-3 hours to "soften" and also how they only use RIPE fruit which will be a pale yellow with minimal, if any, traces of green. All the ones I see in the chain supermarkets are quite green, and that may be the difference.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-28 12:45 am   Permalink

Based on recent tastings, a new and revised tribute to the Demerara Float now features Hamilton 86 and Appleton Estate Reserve ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/07/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-classic-demerara-float-rises-again/#tribute

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-03 5:16 pm   Permalink

I'm honored to be doing a special presentation during the finale of The Hukilau on June 11. We'll also be enjoying three "lost cocktails" from The Mai-Kai's 1956 menu, plus live surf tunes from Skinny Jimmy Stingray.

Full preview on The Atomic Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/03/event-preview-explore-60-years-of-tiki-cocktail-history-through-the-menus-of-the-mai-kai/

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-05 9:08 pm   Permalink

Long-promised and finally delivered: Two new tribute recipes for the 151 Swizzle ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/#tribute

These two versions represent the latest evolution of a seemingly simple cocktail that has been very difficult to nail down. Both are absolutely delicious, but for some reason the 151 Swizzle is not always consistent and you may encounter a sweeter or a stronger version when you come to The Mai-Kai. These two tributes represent these variations.

Okole maluna!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-06 9:30 pm   Permalink

The featured "Flashback Friday" cocktail for June is the classic Liquid Gold. It's available only on Fridays through the end of the month.

Liquid Gold was last served in June 2016 during a special “lost cocktails” party at The Hukilau.

We hope to stop by later in the month to check out the latest return of The Mai-Kai's take on Beachcomber's Gold.

Check out our updated review and history ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/06/02/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-search-for-authentic-recipe-strikes-liquid-gold/

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-07 09:32 am   Permalink

Here's the link to follow for the daily schedule, news and updates, plus live coverage from The Hukilau ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/07/the-hukilau-2017-schedule-live-updates-news-and-photos/

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-04 11:57 pm   Permalink

Wow, has it really been 27 days since my last post? The craziness started with The Hukilau and hasn't stopped. First off, mahalo to everyone who attended "The Menus of The Mai-Kai" symposium on June 11. It was both a blast and an honor to be up on stage at The Mai-Kai to share my passion for the history and stories of all those legendary cocktails. I just can't believe I missed one of the "Name That Cocktail" blind tastings!

Here are a few photos from the entire Hukilau 2017 weekend ...

Thursday at Pier 66:

I ran into the jetsetting Rum Ambassador, London's Ian Burrell, at the Tiki Tower Takeover. Also coming all the way from Europe were two ultimate showmen ...

Daniele Dalla Pola of Nu Lounge Bar in Bologna, Italy ...

... and Scotty Schuder of Dirty Dick in Paris, France.

Friday at Pier 66:

Swanky's symposium with The Mai-Kai legends.

It was great to meet the many outstanding bar teams who came from around the country, including Three Dots and a Dash from Chicago ...

... and Hidden Harbor from Pittsburgh.

Saturday at Pier 66:

Ian Burrell presented an amazing array of premium rums at a special tasting.

In the Tiki Treasures Bazaar, Lucky Munro of Lucky's Cane & Grog brought some tasty falernum from Maggie's Farm in Pittsburgh.

Saturday night at The Mai-Kai:

Stolen Idols from Tampa set the mood in the Tahiti dining room.

A well-timed Kona Coffee Grog in the showroom.

Sunday at The Mai-Kai:

We're off to a great start with lost cocktails at noon.

Paying tribute to the Bum.

The blind tasting. How could I miss the Cobra's Kiss?

Check out The Tiki Times thread for more photos:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=48724&forum=1&start=last&125

You can find many more from other photographers, plus video clips of bands including The Surfrajettes performing in The Molokai and The Hula Girls performing in the Tahiti Room, on The Atomic Grog:

The Hukilau 2017 updates: Daily recaps, news, photos and video
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/07/the-hukilau-2017-schedule-live-updates-news-and-photos/

Exploring 60 years of Tiki cocktail history through the menus of The Mai-Kai
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/03/event-preview-explore-60-years-of-tiki-cocktail-history-through-the-menus-of-the-mai-kai/

More photos and recaps to come soon, along with many new tribute recipes and lots more!

Okole maluna!

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-07-05 10:46 ]

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-08 11:30 am   Permalink

The Flashback Friday cocktail for July is Mariano Licudine's tribute to a Trader Vic classic, which never appeared on any menu ...

I got to try it once before, in February 2015 ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/02/21/three-classic-lost-cocktails-drop-in-for-a-night-of-flights-at-the-mai-kai/

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-08 12:38 pm   Permalink

Mahalo to Spike Marble and The Hula Girls for this cool recap and photos from The Hukilau, with lots of eye candy from The Mai-Kai ...

http://thehulagirls.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-hukilau-and-tour-of-mai-kais-dining.html

And of great interest here is his rare video of manager Kern Mattei giving a tour of the back service bar. It was the Sunday afternoon following the busy Saturday night, so the bar was not in service. But it offers a rare glimpse behind the scenes ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKOI5dF1ygk

Among the new tidbits of info that I've never heard before:

* There are up to 12 bartenders working on busy nights: 4 in The Molokai and 8 in the back bar.

* The logistics of the back bar would be up to 3 bartenders on each window (where the servers pick up the drinks and garnish them), plus up to two others in the back area (most likely prepping and backing up the main bartenders).

* There are two distinct types of bartenders working two different stations: A "blender bartender" who makes the blended drinks (Derby Daiquiri, Pina Colada, etc.) using the jug/jar blender, plus all the standard drinks that people are bound to order. Then there's the "tropical mixer" who makes all the specialty drinks using the top-down mixer. Kern also mentioned that those drinks spend no more than 5 seconds in the mixer.

You can take a look back at my photo tour from 2011 for more on the back bars:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/28/behind-the-magic-a-backstage-tour-of-the-mai-kais-mysterious-bars-and-kitchen/

Okole maluna!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-05 09:24 am   Permalink

This month's Flashback Friday cocktail: Dr. Fong (with absinthe!)

From The Mai-Kai:

Every Friday Night in the Molokai Bar we feature a vintage cocktail from The Mai-Kai recipe vault and for the month of August you can come in and get the infamous Dr Fong. Created as far back as the 1880s, the Dr Fong cocktail, originally called the Dr Funk, after Dr Bernard Funk of Germany, was originally served as a medicinal tonic by the Doctor himself during his practice in the South Seas.

The original tonic prescribed by Dr Funk contained absinthe, which was often used medicinally at the time. Decades after Dr Funk passed away, Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber got a hold of the recipe and turned it into the rum cocktail that we know today, replacing the absinthe with Pernod, a similar anise flavored spirit, most likely due to the turn of the century bans on absinthe in many countries including the US. Absinthe has since seen a modern revival and a resulting resurgence in popularity and availability; after it was proven that its psychoactive properties were exaggerated.

For the month of August, we are honoring Dr Funk's mixology prowess and making our Dr Fong with absinthe, just like the good doctor prescribed.

------------------------------

Here's some more history, plus ancestor and tribute recipes on the blog ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/02/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-late-dr-fong-has-a-funky-and-famous-history/

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-25 2:39 pm   Permalink

The tribute recipe is now updated to include absinthe ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/02/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-late-dr-fong-has-a-funky-and-famous-history/#tribute
An improvement over Pernod ... more balanced, rich and earthy.

Dr. Fong in The Molokai bar on Aug. 11

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-30 12:27 am   Permalink

Mahalo to Punch and Lizzie Munro for spotlighting the classic Black Magic and featuring our original tribute recipe ...

http://punchdrink.com/articles/recreating-mai-kai-tiki-bar-bizarre-black-magic-coffee-cocktail-recipe/

http://punchdrink.com/recipes/tribute-to-the-mai-kais-black-magic/

I'm honored to have a recipe representing The Mai-Kai in Punch's venerable archive.

Spurred by the national exposure, I've updated the Black Magic review and recipe with the long-awaited new tribute ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/04/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-black-magic-emerges-from-the-shadows-as-a-true-classic/

There's a lot to unpack from this latest update. There are lots of new photos and updated background info. But the biggest addition is the new tribute recipe ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/04/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-black-magic-emerges-from-the-shadows-as-a-true-classic/#tribute

Among the changes for version 2.5 ...

* The cocktail has grown from 8 to 12 ounces and features 3 1/2 ounces of rum.
* It now includes Mariano's Mix #7, the mysterious mix that can be traced back to Don the Beachcomber. (There's also a version without #7)
* Cinnamon syrup is gone.
* Colombian coffee replaces Kona.

I go into great detail on all these changes. If you've been to The Mai-Kai in the past year, you'll also know that the rums are not as potent as they used to be. Appleton Reserve is a fine rum, but it lacks the funky flavor of Kohala Bay.

Feel free to experiment and pump up the flavor with your Jamaican rum blend of choice.

Okole maluna!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation