FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Tiki Pop, Musee du Quai Branley in Paris, France, June 2014
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Pop, Musee du Quai Branley in Paris, France, June 2014
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-07 7:19 pm   Permalink

Fantastic exhibit BigBro!! I wish I could see it in person. Any chance of bring it to the US after the Paris run?

Congrats to you and all who helped put it together. Cheeky Tiki, in particular, did a tremendous job with the Mai-Tai room.

Cheers and Aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-07-08 4:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-30 11:36, Hakalugi wrote:
Tiki Pop DVD:
http://www.amazon.fr/TIKI-POP-Collection-DIALOGUES-exposition/dp/B00JQHKDDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403809848&sr=8-4&keywords=tiki+pop

It's in PAL format, not sure if an NTSC version is planned.

Any other sources selling this?

Okay, so I was able to confirm that the Amazon France has the dvd listed wrong. I ordered one from them and what I received was NTSC with No Region code. !! I'll go back and edit my original post.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 11:20 pm   Permalink

Here are a few more images, Anyone who hasnt been yet you must see it, Definately worth the trip and the main exhibitions are also amazing(especially the south seas stuff)

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-12 08:12 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the great photos, Dave!

Here's a web article with more photos of the show:

http://www.lemouv.fr/diffusion-tiki-pop-exotique-en-toc

…and here's what Parisians now see on their way to work in Metro stations all over Paris :

These JUST went up, as a "second wave" of promotion of the show.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-12 2:18 pm   Permalink

It was an honour to be there for it, Im working my way through the book now, Good to learn some pre tiki history too. Our next euro trip is to Barcelona on Wednesday for my birthday(So i guess we will have to go the tiki bars in town, just for research right?)

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 9:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-08 16:22, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-06-30 11:36, Hakalugi wrote:
Tiki Pop DVD:
http://www.amazon.fr/TIKI-POP-Collection-DIALOGUES-exposition/dp/B00JQHKDDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403809848&sr=8-4&keywords=tiki+pop

It's in PAL format, not sure if an NTSC version is planned.

Any other sources selling this?

Okay, so I was able to confirm that the Amazon France has the dvd listed wrong. I ordered one from them and what I received was NTSC with No Region code. !! I'll go back and edit my original post.

Hakalugi,

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD. I went ahead and ordered it on the French Amazon website. I had to use google a little bit to translate to place the order but I received it in about a week. It plays fine on my DVD player and there are two version on the DVD: French and English. The English is actually better since practically the whole DVD was photographed in California. Its a documentary with a lot of people who would be "who's who" of tiki pop and it show several of the California Tiki Bars. If you are ordering the book and/or you liked the "DVD of Tiki," I think you will enjoy this DVD. I haven't received my book yet but its suppose to get to me next week. I don't know if this DVD follows the book.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 10:09 pm   Permalink

A lot of of us regulars at the Tiki marketplace should be in the movie
the French film crew was filming there some months ago.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 10:50 pm   Permalink

The DVD has very little to do with the book. I am slightly disappointed by it. But that might be because I have seen 5 or 6 of Tiki documentaries by now and they start to look alike. Of all of them, only Jochen's DVD of Tiki and Plastic Paradise have managed to create a "mood" akin to the appeal of Tiki at times - something beyond mere talking heads spouting THEIR opinion of what Tiki is (ME included!). It's just so easy to run around and interview and film those kookie contemporary Tiki folks, some carvings, throw in some music and some cocktails, and voila, you have a Tiki documentary.

But what about those old guys? Why has nobody interviewed William Westenhaver? Or dug up some other veterans that we don't even know about? These production crews all come to me, I give'em all the contacts, they film them, and done.

What is missing most of all is an adequate portrayal of the heyday of the ORIGINAL Tiki culture - vintage eye candy that visually impresses on the viewer WHY there is a revival now! Something that brings across the grandeur of the old Tiki temples, the horn of plenty of Tiki apartment buildings and their concepts, the baroque outgrowths of the phenomenon in the middle class.

Not that that can be expected from a foreign team that's only coming over for 2 ½ weeks with no prior knowledge of the culture…but when I think of all the original vintage photographs and graphics I scanned for them that they never used

The typical argument will be "but there is so little vintage MOVING footage that shows Tiki culture" - yet just look at Ken Burns creating a whole documentary series out of still photographs.

Sorry for the rant.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-18 22:53 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 11:09 pm   Permalink

Exactly! I think that has been my criticism of most of the documentaries on Tiki
I would like to see scenes from the classic movies (Noir etc.) that take place in Tiki bars
staged or real, which I think can give us a feeling of how it was back then.

Those Life magazine photos are a great time capsule too!
if only we knew of someone steeped in the ways of Tiki with a cinematic background to boot
who could do a proper Documentary?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 10:32 am   Permalink

THIS is how they promote Tiki in Paris!:

On the biggest consumer temple...

…on busses...

in the Metro

tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 11:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-18 22:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
But what about those old guys? Why has nobody interviewed William Westenhaver? Or dug up some other veterans that we don't even know about? These production crews all come to me, I give'em all the contacts, they film them, and done.

The typical argument will be "but there is so little vintage MOVING footage that shows Tiki culture" - yet just look at Ken Burns creating a whole documentary series out of still photographs.

Sorry for the rant.

"but there is so little vintage MOVING footage that shows Tiki culture"
One would guess that there was not as big of a interest in tiki as there is now.
But then look what is going on now, the people who are the new makers of tiki don’t get much
Media attention, even with the larger interest.
And if you are outside of California forget about it, only if you are the lucky token that gets picked
will you see the spot light.
Heck the old Tiki mag even went to doing articles on the same people over and over, the people who
were in those articles were mostly from California and friends of…
So are people going to look back and say “Why is there nothing on some other veterans that we don't even know about? “
Talked to one tiki artist about this and he said that is why he moved to California.
Not just the artist but the new tiki bars too.

Not much new moving footage of any of the new tiki scene even really.
Tropical Bistro, Three Dots, Hale Kahiki, is there footage of Tiki Ti?
What about ITV one of the best mug makers out there from I forget 2000?
NOTHING I had to send tiki Kate the ITV catalog as I had the only one she could find, where did he live again?

Back in the heyday of tiki they just did not think of these things.
But now we do know of the shot fall of documenting the tiki that is around us, but I will bet
The same mistake will be made but for a different reason this time.

Sorry for the rerant.
But about a quarter of the folks reading this are saying f$%^ that, BUT three quarters
Quietly sit on their hands and say right on.

Times like these could give rise to some fringe tiki group.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-24 12:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-24 11:44, tikiskip wrote:
One would guess that there was not as big of a interest in tiki as there is now.

I think that's true. Back in the mid-1900s tiki blended into the culture. It was just "there" and something that you "visited" for good times instead of actually "being into."

Quote:

On 2014-07-24 11:44, tikiskip wrote:
Times like these could give rise to some fringe tiki group.

There already are "fringe" tiki groups and sub-groups. But they just haven't grown to the point of being overly ridiculous and super-annoying. Sub-groups are growing on their own, organically. And I suspect that at some time down the road a number of us are going to begin calling ourselves "tiki traditionalists" to differentiate ourselves from some of the weirdness which lies ahead.

Well, ok, so I've heard others say that the hipsters have become annoying. But that may be because a few of us are jealous that we can't grow really cool retro handle-bar mustaches which really aren't related to tiki anyways. What a crazy world.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 5:37 pm   Permalink

I am continuously amazed how blase TC members seem to be sometimes: Ignoring photos like these that show Tiki things are happening in the world, instead going on navel-gazing...

I think this is frickin' EXCITING! Something NEVER seen before! Giant American TIKI posters all over a world-famous city! Hello?
click…click….static….

Quote:

On 2014-07-24 10:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
THIS is how they promote Tiki in Paris!:

On the biggest consumer temple...

…on buses...

in the Metro

tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 5:57 pm   Permalink

It's great to see a tiki show promoted like that. Before the show opened I Googled Tiki Pop Paris and I was surprised at how many Paris hotels, visitors bureau and other places referenced your upcoming show as a must see attraction. That just wouldn't happen stateside.
Congratulations!

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 6:42 pm   Permalink

Having attended the event opening, I can tell you that it was pretty awesome seeing the advertising for Tiki Pop around Paris, from the metro, to street corners to a local library that had a Tiki Pop/Polynesian book display in the front window.

Sven, have you heard about museum attendance for the exhibit yet?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation