FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Smuggler's Cove: The Book
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Smuggler's Cove: The Book
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 10:07 pm   Permalink

Very cool. Hope there will be some fantastic drink recipes, too.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-06 10:25 pm   Permalink

Smuggler’s Cove book sets a new standard for Tiki in the 21st century

Comprehensive, colorful, and full of so much information it may make your head spin (especially when sampling the many potent cocktail recipes), Smuggler’s Cove: Exotic Cocktails, Rum and the Cult of Tiki is essential reading for anyone with a passionate interest in the Tiki revival and its spectacular cocktails. The book’s official release date is June 7. You can order via Amazon and other retailers through the official Smuggler’s Cove website and Facebook page.

Written by Martin Cate, with assistance from wife Rebecca Cate, Smuggler’s Cove: Exotic Cocktails, Rum and the Cult of Tiki is the story of how this Tiki power couple rose to prominence and ended up opening one of the world most acclaimed rum bars in San Francisco. But it’s so much more than just the story of a bar. At 352 pages and hard-bound like a college textbook, it could be considered the new bible for home enthusiasts and bartenders alike. But I’ll bet you’ve never read a textbook this fun.

More in the latest edition of The Week in Tiki on The Atomic Grog, plus a Martin Cate original recipe from the book ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/06/06/week-in-tiki-april-16-30-2016-new-beachbum-berry-glassware-sippin-safari-10-year-anniversary-edition-plus-event-and-tiki-bar-news-more/#cocktail

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-07 07:40 am   Permalink

Pre-ordered mine through Amazon, scheduled for delivery today!

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whoseyrtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-08 02:13 am   Permalink

Amazon already delivered my pre-ordered copy. The Cates have done an amazing job! One part poly pop history to equal parts bar guide double-strained and poured over awesome!

View Profile of whoseyrtiki Send a personal message to whoseyrtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-08 05:19 am   Permalink

Got the book last night as well, and I'm loving it so far. Great idea to categorize and number rum styles - I will definitely be adopting this for my home bar.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-08 06:35 am   Permalink

Just ordered mine off of Amazon. Of course, I haven't received it yet, but seems to be a steal at $17.95 for a hard bound book....would expect a paperback at that price. Looking forward to getting it in the mail.

howlinowl

Edit: Just noticed on my checkout page that I can start reading it in the Kindle app online now!!!!! Whoopee!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2016-06-08 06:37 ]

Edit-Reedit: Nevermind, it"s just the free sample of the book, not the whole thing on Kindle. Bummer....

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2016-06-08 06:42 ]

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-08 10:17 am   Permalink

I thumbed through my copy yesterday and it looks very, very promising. It stacks nicely on top of my reading to-do list of Potions, Tiki Pop + Book of Tiki, and now this. That's a lot of tiki to read!

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-08 12:02 pm   Permalink

$30 at my local Barnes & Noble but $17.61 online!

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-08 12:12 pm   Permalink

You can also go to a book signing for $30 that includes a drink!

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-08 3:04 pm   Permalink

Over 125 pages in already. Fun and informative. A great read. Can't wait to try some of these recipes.

My wife planned to surprise me with a trip to SF last year but it wasn't in the cards for us financially. Was just thinking how badly I wanted to get to Smuggler's Cove when I just so happened to see that Southwest Airlines was offering pretty cheap flights right now. Austin to Oakland, just $129 each way, all taxes included. Booked. See ya'll in November!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-10 7:13 pm   Permalink

Got mine a few days ago, just now cracking it open. WHEEEEEEEEE

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cavemoai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-10 9:14 pm   Permalink

Got mine yesterday, about 175 pages in. What a fantastic tome!

View Profile of Cavemoai Send a personal message to Cavemoai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-11 06:08 am   Permalink

Picking up mine this afternoon AND getting it signed by Martin and Rebecca. Can't wait to crack it open and start reading!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-11 09:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-08 06:35, howlinowl wrote:
Just ordered mine off of Amazon. Of course, I haven't received it yet, but seems to be a steal at $17.95 for a hard bound book....would expect a paperback at that price. Looking forward to getting it in the mail.

howlinowl

Edit: Just noticed on my checkout page that I can start reading it in the Kindle app online now!!!!! Whoopee!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2016-06-08 06:37 ]

Edit-Reedit: Nevermind, it"s just the free sample of the book, not the whole thing on Kindle. Bummer....

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2016-06-08 06:42 ]

Received mine yesterday, just wanted to confirm that it IS A STEAL!!!! If you haven't ordered it yet, GO NOW. You will not regret it!

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-11 11:58 am   Permalink

This book goes far beyond being a cocktail book, or the history of a single bar. It effortlessly bridges the gap, or even better, proves that there has to be no gap at all between mid-century American Tiki culture and its re-appreciation in the 21st Century. Like no other publication before, it demonstrates that Tiki Pop is alive and well today.

The eye candy of elaborate Tiki environments, the joy of their inhabitants, and the ambrosial nature of their libations are as seductively presented as humanly possible, creating a spontaneous need to partake in such merriment.

All this is backed up by thoughtful writing and insightful information that is bound to convert a new generation to the cult of Tiki. Behold, imbibe, and live Tiki like it should be lived.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation