FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 1:43 pm   Permalink

Regarding the drink menus, I'm guessing that too many people were taking them home as souvenirs. So they started printing up these cheap versions.

However, that doesn't explain why the graphics and layout are so crappy. Someone with graphic arts experience should offer his/her services gratis just to make the menus a bit spiffier.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 2:06 pm   Permalink

I recently acquired a much older version and it was very basic as well. Maybe simple menus have just been the Bali Hai's "thing"?

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2007-07-19 2:37 pm   Permalink

Who needs a drink menu at Bali Hai? We all know what to order

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 07:51 am   Permalink

Here is a pic from the Clouseaux show last night.

And the new Mr. Bali Hai mug.

The downstairs bar tasted just like the upstairs bar!

Thanks Larry! You are a great host!!

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-22 2:01 pm   Permalink

Went to Bali Hai a few years ago with friends on a Tiki Road Trip. Stayed at Humphrey's which is walking distance, very good for after your visit, stumbling back to the hotel...

Here's a few pix from that trip:

Bali Hai

Mr. Bali Hai at entrance

Humphrey's Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island

Trader Morts

Caliente Tropics Palm Springs

Tiki

In the Lobby

This room was in a Hotel in LA, I forget the name but I think they closed it, not sure, it was an amazing room

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-22 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-22 14:01, TikiMookie wrote:

This room was in a Hotel in LA, I forget the name but I think they closed it, not sure, it was an amazing room

Ah, so sad!! No Mookie that is, errr, rather was the Islands restaurant at the Hanalei here in San Diego. The restaurant is no longer and the hotel is about a third of what it used to be.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 4:24 pm   Permalink

Always one of my favorite restaurants, the Bali Hai is still going strong. Last night I enjoyed the Chicken of the Gods with two Mr. Bali Hai's. Of course I kept the mug - and what a great mug it is. It seemed to me that the gift shop was preparing for Tiki Oasis and stocking up on "stuff".

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-22 2:44 pm   Permalink

I had a few coworkers in town for the evening, so I thought it would be a great idea to bring them out to the Bali Hai last night. As always, it was definately worth it to call ahead and get reservations for a window seat. The view was fantastic as always. My wife and I try go out the Bali Hai on a semi-regular basis, but I was suprised and thrilled to find the place much more hoppin' then usual last night. There were a TON of people there!

So to the point, I got a new Mr. Bali Hai mug last night and when I got home, I lined it up with my other three Mr. Bali Hai mugs.

I didn't see any other posts on the specific subject of the different types of Mr. Bali Hai mugs, so I thought this would be the best thread to have the discussion and show the photos.

The one of the far left is obviously a vintage OMC concave bottom mug.

The second from the left is one I am a bit unsure about. I got it at the restaurant either in 2000 or 2001. It is the only one of the four that I have that says "Shelter Island, Calif" on the bottom as opposed to "San Diego, Calif" like the others. It also features a two-tone brown coloring, where a darker color brown paint is painted over the main brown glaze, similar in style to the old OMC version. Is this an Tiki Farm version or was this made by someone else?

The third from the left I got at the restaurant last year. I think this is a Tiki Farm version.

The final and fourth from the left is the new one from last night - which I think is a huge improvement over the the stranger one from last year. I really like the new design. I'm also fairly certain that this one is from Tiki Farm as well.

I can also say that the size of the mugs have decreased over time. Each newer mug being smaller then the last.

I'm curious if there are any more designs out there. I know that there is a flat-bottomed OMC mug, but I don't have that one.

Here they are!

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 8:30 pm   Permalink

Hi - I'm no expert, but I knew I remembered a thread about this with a shot of a whole Mr. Bali Hai line up. I found it here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18986&forum=5&hilite=bali%20hai%20mugs%20older

I think the two I have are the from the same batches as your older two. I like the newer mug with the splotchier coloring better than the last version, too.

I had another delicious outing there the other night, myself (and was very, very happy to see the skinny noodles were back in my Schezuan Chicken). Ya can't really go wrong!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 7:00 pm   Permalink

Mai Tai Madness!

Found a bit about a Bali Hai promotion in the little "Dining Around" column in today's paper (under a silly bit about the allegedly improved Hanalei Islands room) - I can't find it online to copy, but it says they're looking to sell their two millionth Mai Tai.

Starting Saturday, if you go in between 4 & 6pm and get a Mai Tai, you can get an appetizer for half price. Heck, I don't even care about the appetizer deal - but a monthlong event called Mai Tai Madness sounds good to me.

There's a bit on page 4 of the Our San Diego section, and another on page 30 of the Night & Day section.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-16 5:42 pm   Permalink

Took Mama Hodaddy to brunch there on our way from the airport last week and was happy to see their Witco cold salad bars complete with tiki accented sneeze guard and flared ice trough still in regular use!

See the Late Great Daddy Hodaddy was right. Quality furnishings can last a lifetime!:)

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 7:23 pm   Permalink

Bali Hai has replaced the missing idol in the display case over the stairwell. The Easter Island idol has long been missing.

It is nice to see it all back together again.

The display case as it was (photo by Alnshely).

The display case with the replaced moai.

Closeup

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 4:26 pm   Permalink

would be awsome if they mass produced,(complete with idols) and sold those maps in the gift shop there!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 11:30 pm   Permalink

I found these old photos of the Bali Hai in a cookbook titled "Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices" from 1969.

In this first photo you can see the Goof on the roof, and in the lower right-hand corner, you can see the prow of an outrigger canoe. Here's a better picture from a postcard

I asked the owner about the canoe on my last visit and he says that it rotted away years ago.

This next picture from the cookbook is really interesting. I had no idea that these two Moai existed on the grounds

I'll have to ask about them as well.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 11:48 pm   Permalink

Once again, Fine work Sabu!!
Al

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation