FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 6:24 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Great to see you back posting your finds again. I picked up a postcard of that outrigger at Bali Hai some years ago, and yours is the only other one that I have seen. Here are a few more from my collection.

These are some older exterior shots

These are from an oversized card with several different views and a nice shot of a Mr. Bali Hai mug.

Here is an aerial photo

The male hula dancer

A few matchbooks.

And finally, the table card from the Polynesian Floor Show in the South Pacific Room (also in the BOT).

Check out the story on the back of the card for the Whalers Punch, this is great! Notice the limit of 3 drinks per customer.

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2008-08-11 18:25 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 11:23 am   Permalink

I was just in SD for an overnight to hang for a birthday for one of my wife's friends. My subconscious, I guess, told me not impose my Tiki obsessions for the night and I didn't even think of going to the Bali Hai. Next day like a light bulb on a Tiki lamp I remembered SD=Bali Hai. We headed over but unfortunately they were having a small wedding and weren't open for lunch. To make a long story short, the gift shop wasn't open either BUT through the good graces of common humanity they opened the door and I was able to purchase some goods. A Mr. Bal Hai mug, a Goof mug, and a Bali Hai Mai Tai glass. That place probably has the best gift shop out of any Tiki joint I have been to. Even better than the Mai Kai.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 2:15 pm   Permalink

I did basically the same thing on Saturday: requested the gift shop be opened and bought two goof mugs. A few days earlier I called and asked what the gift shop hours were. The woman who answered the phone put me on hold for a couple of minutes while she checked (??) and then came back and said, "Well, usually on the weekends, so, like, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. But anytime you're here and want to buy something, just ask and we'll open it up."

Seems like an odd way to do business, but whatever works.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 2:28 pm   Permalink

Wow, can we get the bali Hai to decorate the place like that again ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 7:43 pm   Permalink

Yeah the old decor was pretty cool!

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-24 7:57 pm   Permalink

I finally made my way down to the Bali Hai for the first time. I took pics, thought I would share.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 10:33 pm   Permalink

The original 1953 blueprints for the Bali Hai, when it was still called Christian's Hut. These photos are from the eBay auction of the blueprints a few years ago, which I lost

Here's a photo of the young architect with his parents just after the opening.

A tourist booklet from my collection

Barbara Rush and George Nader saying Hai.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-01-22 22:46 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 08:49 am   Permalink

It's interesting to see how the tower changed from the original design. I think I like the original better. Boyle Engineering still exists, based in Newport Beach and with an office in San Diego.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 4:33 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Thanks for posting those old blueprints. I always enjoy seeing old sets of plans for Tiki places, such as in the BOT. The picture of the beaming young architect is great.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-31 10:01 am   Permalink

Found some cool old photos from the Bali Hai while looking around for info on the Bali Ha'i in New Orleans.

The Goof At Night

The Goof on the Move

Lyman Swinging at the Bali Hai

Nose to nose with Jimmy Durante.

Mr. Bali Hai and the model - beauty and the beast

DC

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 2:19 pm   Permalink

It's funny to see the photo of Durante from the La Jolla Light as I used to work for that newspaper. You can bet that his "vacationing in La Jolla" meant he was bettin on the ponies in Del Mar.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 10:52 pm   Permalink

Thought I had seen just about every post card from the Bali Hai, then this one showed up.

Old School.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 10:37 pm   Permalink

Yet another postcard view.

DC

Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-05 10:03 pm   Permalink

This ad was in a San Diego Tourist Guide.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 05:52 am   Permalink

Wow! Can you zoom into that little photo of the A-frame with the dancers and Tiki? That must have been the side entrance to the gardens and the back porch where their dance troupe performed.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-06-06 05:54 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation