FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Lemon Hart question
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-20 8:49 pm   Permalink

A new 151 rum from Lost Spirits. Not quite what we're looking for as a Lemon Hart stand-in, but it sounds great. Perhaps a Demerara should be their next project.
http://rumconnection.com/review-lost-spirits-cuban-inspired-rum/
http://www.cocktailwonk.com/2014/07/the-hottest-tot-north-of-havana-lost.html

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gottwaldster

Posted: 2014-08-21 6:31 pm   Permalink

long, long time lurker. first time poster.

behold. in a small hole-in-the-wall liquor store in red bluff, CA...yesterday night, i stumbled across five "original label" bottles of lemon hart 151 rum. i'm no urban archeologist, but based on the thick amount of dust on them and the style of price sticker, they had likely been sitting on the shelf since the late 80s or early 90s. the owner was trying to get rid of them. price: $19 each. sometimes fortune smiles...

View Profile of gottwaldster Send a personal message to gottwaldster      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-21 6:41 pm   Permalink

You bastard!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-21 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-20 20:49, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
A new 151 rum from Lost Spirits. Not quite what we're looking for as a Lemon Hart stand-in, but it sounds great. Perhaps a Demerara should be their next project.
http://rumconnection.com/review-lost-spirits-cuban-inspired-rum/
http://www.cocktailwonk.com/2014/07/the-hottest-tot-north-of-havana-lost.html

That guy Bryan is the mad scientist of rum. I need these rums!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-22 06:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-21 18:31, gottwaldster wrote:
long, long time lurker. first time poster.

behold. in a small hole-in-the-wall liquor store in red bluff, CA...yesterday night, i stumbled across five "original label" bottles of lemon hart 151 rum. i'm no urban archeologist, but based on the thick amount of dust on them and the style of price sticker, they had likely been sitting on the shelf since the late 80s or early 90s. the owner was trying to get rid of them. price: $19 each. sometimes fortune smiles...

A very nice find! Looks like you got everything they had left? Awesome! Some wonderful drinks are the reward for having a sharp eye. I often wonder how many bottles of LH151 are still available around the country, just waiting to be discovered on the shelves of quiet little liquor stores.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-01 11:33 am   Permalink

I've come across a stash of LH151 and am debating buying it. I can't possibly use a case of it myself, though, on top of what I've already got. Would anyone potentially be interested in buying some? I wouldn't be trying to make a big profit or anything. So probably something like $40/bottle plus shipping. (I'm not exactly sure how much it's going to cost me yet.)

Lemme know if you might want some. You can PM me or email:
davidjmontgomery@yahoo.com

Cheers,
DJM

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-09-02 06:52 am   Permalink

Yeah, that's quite a dilemma. It's a "must-have" rum, but you don't want to overbuy because it may come back on the market in another year or so. But then if it *doesn't* come back, then you should horde it. Yowza...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-02 10:32 am   Permalink

I ended up ordering 5 bottles. Seeing as how I already have a handful, that should see me through the lean times.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-07 10:16 pm   Permalink

Looks like there are still plenty of stores carrying LH151:

http://www.drinkupny.com/Lemon_Hart_151_p/s0375.htm

http://www.luekensliquors.com/spirits/rum/lemon-hart-151-rhum-demerara-rum-750ml
(Multiple locations in Florida)

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/lemon+hart+151+demerara+rum+guyana

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 12 days ago; 12:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-27 00:43, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this just went up on the Lemon Hart 151 Facebook page about 5 hours ago:

"I"m sorry too report that Mosaiq, the Lemon Hart brand owner, has decided not to bottle any more Lemon Hart 151 until at least the middle of 2015. I wish I had the opportunity to buy more and offered to buy 5,000 cases but was turned down. Planning is everything. I'm working on obtaining another overproof rum that will work in many of the cocktails you love."

https://www.facebook.com/LH151

Sadly, I have heard from credible sources that LH 151 is basically no more. From what I gather Mosaiq is not making any money on the brand in Canada. There profits are getting eaten up on importing to the us. They are looking to sell the brand so that someone will still produce it. Basically, we will be looking at a new rendition of LH 151 if we ever see it again. I hope this information is not correct, but it has always struck me as odd that a company would just stop production on a popular rum for a couple years. We may be at the end of the line for tikis most famous rum.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 07:39 am   Permalink

W...T...F ?!? Deja Vu all over again. I don't suppose an avalanche of emails would make a difference these days with the corporate mindset being what it is.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 10:20 am   Permalink

I don't understand how the profits are getting eaten up on this one product when they have a global portfolio and global markets. You would think they would know how to supply the right amount of this product to meet the demand from a small but fanatical customer base.

There has to be other production or supply-side issues going on that are feeding into these decisions.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 12:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-10-08 00:33, lunavideogames wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-05-27 00:43, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this just went up on the Lemon Hart 151 Facebook page about 5 hours ago:

"I"m sorry too report that Mosaiq, the Lemon Hart brand owner, has decided not to bottle any more Lemon Hart 151 until at least the middle of 2015. I wish I had the opportunity to buy more and offered to buy 5,000 cases but was turned down. Planning is everything. I'm working on obtaining another overproof rum that will work in many of the cocktails you love."

https://www.facebook.com/LH151

Sadly, I have heard from credible sources that LH 151 is basically no more. From what I gather Mosaiq is not making any money on the brand in Canada. There profits are getting eaten up on importing to the us. They are looking to sell the brand so that someone will still produce it. Basically, we will be looking at a new rendition of LH 151 if we ever see it again. I hope this information is not correct, but it has always struck me as odd that a company would just stop production on a popular rum for a couple years. We may be at the end of the line for tikis most famous rum.

That's something new? We have known it was not going to be available until July of 2015 since day one. So it may be a little longer? Mosaiq was no longer carrying it in the US market and the new distributor stopped shipments to clear the old stock off the shelves to re-lable and send out new orders. Has something changed since that initial news way back when?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 12 days ago; 1:27 pm   Permalink

No "official" news from them, but this is what I am hearing. I hope it is not true but the story seems to make sense to me.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 3:59 pm   Permalink

Ed Hamilton is in the process of lining up his own 151-proof and regular-proof Guyanese rums. So while they probably won't be here for a year or more, there'll be something eventually. But I'm not holding my breath for more Lemon Hart.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation