FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-07 2:07 pm   Permalink

Does a koi pond always imply a certain temperature that's fatal to pacu fish? I've seen koi ponds in Hawaii - is that considered tropical? Maybe that's some kind of sweet spot that's tropical-ish but still cold enough for a koi, while a pond in southern CA would be cold enough for a koi but not tropical enough for a pacu?

If you do a search on "pacu fish", oddly some of the first results are about pacu caught in open waters in New Jersey, Illinois, France, and even Denmark. I guess those kinds of stories might be outliers, and Rufus might not be as hardy. Is that the general concern here?

If there was some kind of proof that Rufus is alive in a koi pond, would that change anything? I guess one day later you don't know that he's STILL alive, right?

Sorry if these questions diverge from the trajectory of this thread - not trying to upset anybody.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-07 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-07 14:07, aquarj wrote:
Does a koi pond always imply a certain temperature that's fatal to pacu fish? I've seen koi ponds in Hawaii - is that considered tropical? Maybe that's some kind of sweet spot that's tropical-ish but still cold enough for a koi, while a pond in southern CA would be cold enough for a koi but not tropical enough for a pacu?

If you do a search on "pacu fish", oddly some of the first results are about pacu caught in open waters in New Jersey, Illinois, France, and even Denmark. I guess those kinds of stories might be outliers, and Rufus might not be as hardy. Is that the general concern here?

If there was some kind of proof that Rufus is alive in a koi pond, would that change anything? I guess one day later you don't know that he's STILL alive, right?

Sorry if these questions diverge from the trajectory of this thread - not trying to upset anybody.

-Randy

I was wondering the same thing. When you do a search there seems to be several instances of Pacu's surviving just fine in a koi pond. There are even some YouTube videos.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-07 2:21 pm   Permalink

But a Pacu is a freshwater fish, Randy.

Edit: Checked the story you mentioned and it was a young Pacu found in a lake
which was most likely released by someone whom had it as a pet
the same story mentioned Pacu can't survive cold temperatures and would not have survived the winter.

Here is an official reply to the story of the one caught in Denmark from National Geographic
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130813-pacu-piranha-testicle-biting-fish-invasive-species/

in both cases these were young Pacu's.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-05-07 14:32 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-07 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-07 12:35, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
We all can use some levity about now, <snip>

Yes, levity, that was my intent as well. I do hope the little guy is actually doing well.

Holy mackerel...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-07 2:38 pm   Permalink

Here is what I know about ANY fish kept in captivity. I have had numerous salt and fresh water/tropical tanks over the past 30 yrs or so. Sized up to about 300 gallons.

One of the first things you learn…and it is an expensive lesson, is that fish transferred in captivity are very fragile. Changes in temperature, biological balances and disease carried by other fish are a BIG deal. It's really easy to kill a fish by tossing it into an environment it is not accustom to.

If this is a Koi pond outside, it would be fresh water. It would be high in algae and debris and temperature spikes much different than a more stable indoor tank. Most indoor freshwater tanks are also heated. The temp for tropicals is kept around 72-82 degrees. You won't hold those temps outside.

So the concern is simply that a fish kept in tropical tank conditions for over 30 years thrown into an outside Koi pond or the like, has got a high risk of not making it.

The greatest concern in all this is that ALL this pond story is a farce anyway. The fear is, as myself and others have stated, that Alan Zhu might have disposed of the fish and just fabricated this story as a cover up/ shut up ploy. Again, we need proof. Not this man's word.

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-07 2:40 pm   Permalink

Speaking of levity, this completely unrelated story (with photos) was on the Pacu news page as well
and proves reading can be sexy!

"NYC Book Club Goes Topless"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/05/topless-book-club-new-york-photos-nsfw_n_5267320.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-05-07 14:48 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-07 2:59 pm   Permalink

My experience with pacus is limited to looking at Rufus through the glass, back when you could.

Yes, apparently pacus are freshwater, and apparently koi are too. And apparently, oddly, pacu have been caught in both fresh water and salt water. And apparently they have a cringe-worthy nickname. I guess the speculation in those other cases was also that they were formerly in a tank, like Rufus, and in fact tend to be released because they outgrow their tanks. Some strange stories, but I don't have any reason to discount any of them, other than (what I already said about) realizing those could be outliers that don't translate to Rufus, who is pretty senior.

Anyway, I guess that's why it seemed to me that proof that Rufus is living might not change anything anyway, for those people with the most active need for info. Like these news stories where the pacu is assumed to have a short life expectancy (if it hadn't been caught by a fisherman anyway), it sounds like the concern isn't just about whether Rufus is alive right now. Maybe the only thing that would placate the concerns would be more like a webcam, showing Rufus at any given time?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-07 3:11 pm   Permalink

I would settle for a photo taken by any reputable journalist or TC member
not connected to Mr. Zhu, but did you see that story about the Topless Book Club!

SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-07 3:48 pm   Permalink

Not trespassing is what long lenses are for...

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-07 5:21 pm   Permalink

Drones, the airspace over a house is fair game.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 02:25 am   Permalink

I have managed to get some significant press interest on this saga! I will update when more details surface! I am hoping the persistence pays off.

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 08:56 am   Permalink

Luna might be on to something

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 12:39 pm   Permalink

Good luck Tom!
So who here has a drone?

SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 12:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-08 02:25, THOR's wrote:
I have managed to get some significant press interest on this saga! I will update when more details surface! I am hoping the persistence pays off.

Please update when you hear something Tom. And yes good luck!

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 12:50 pm   Permalink

this thread is has officially made the world a better place. lol...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation