FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 27, 2002
Posts: 412
From: SoCal
Posted: 2014-05-18 2:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-18 13:17, THOR's wrote:
I will comment in full when I get back to the laptop Erich. You missed many facts...



Theres no need. Responding to me is just going to deflect the purpose of "your" thread. I've said my 2 cents.

To me, a few others, and what looks like the press too, see this a closed chapter.
Good luck with your mission and "your" thread. I apologize if I disrupted "your thread". Besides I don't wanna get banned over this like SandraDee did.

Quote:
If you are inclined to not be onboard, start another thread or head to the Bilge and let out your frustrations!!



Actually, since this is not a tiki thread.. I purpose everyone who is sick of this being in general use the "Umod" and suggest it be moved to "beyond tiki"....





 
View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 30, 2004
Posts: 594
Posted: 2014-05-18 2:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks Erich! Have a good weekend. By the way, this is VERY MUCH a "Tiki Thread"! The spirit is ABSOLUTELY on point with what makes the Tiki Community something I am proud to be part of!



[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2014-05-18 14:12 ]


 
View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 20, 2008
Posts: 124
From: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Posted: 2014-05-18 2:13 pm   Permalink

"Stay out of it." the voice in my head keeps telling me. "Stay out of it....."

Just a couple of observations....

Rufus wasn't a pet while Bahooka was open. Rufus and all the other fish (whom, apparently.....nobody gives a hoot about?) were decor. Decor in a restaurant. If he and the others were pets that the original owners and employees loved (after all, we all do love our pets), they would have either taken them with them or arranged for them to be moved to another place long before they closed up.

The present owner bought the restaurant, which included the "decor". Rufus was part of that. Rufus and the others are his property. Everyday he's sitting waiting around for someone to do something with this fish is keeping him from remodeling and opening his new business. It's costing him money. It was pretty decent of him to feed and hold on as long as he did for someone to do something.

Somewhere in the 14 pages of this someone used the phrase, and I'm paraphrasing because I'm not looking for it...."murdered this fish". Sorry, but you cannot murder a fish. Shoot a human and he dies, it's murder. Kill a dog and it's animal cruelty. Catch a fish, cut his head off, gut and scale him and pan fry him and it's lunchtime.


howlinowl


 
View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 19, 2009
Posts: 5859
From: Costa Misery
Posted: 2014-05-18 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-18 14:01, ErichTroudt wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-05-18 13:17, THOR's wrote:
I will comment in full when I get back to the laptop Erich. You missed many facts...



Theres no need. Responding to me is just going to deflect the purpose of "your" thread. I've said my 2 cents.

To me, a few others, and what looks like the press too, see this a closed chapter.
Good luck with your mission and "your" thread. I apologize if I disrupted "your thread". Besides I don't wanna get banned over this like SandraDee did.

Quote:
If you are inclined to not be onboard, start another thread or head to the Bilge and let out your frustrations!!



Actually, since this is not a tiki thread.. I purpose everyone who is sick of this being in general use the "Umod" and suggest it be moved to "beyond tiki"....







Well Sandra Dee was only banned because she threatened a few people (Do you condone this kind of behavior?)
and not for her criticisms of this thread or the Rufus situation.

Also it is not a "closed chapter" until we know what happened to Rufus, you are free to not care
just as some of us are to care, but it is not up to you to decide when it is over
so your sentiments are essentially meaningless.


 
View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 30, 2004
Posts: 594
Posted: 2014-05-18 2:29 pm   Permalink

"Howlinow"… Again, Respect the purpose of the thread or refrain from not respecting the motivations of those driving this. Your statements were addressed pages ago, regarding "property rights" VS Moral rights and that Rufus was a pet…a pet tot this community. Again, I have discussed with several friends here who are Moderators over this year about Tiki Central and how this happens to threads. You get those that are "pissing match passionate". lol Some people seem to take joy in pissing on other peoples sand castles. Go make your own castle…and talk about it! I won't piss on it..or kick it over because I prefer more shells or a kelp flag. Just contribute or pass over the thread heading…. Ok? Really, I am asking with best spirit! This thread is to pursue answers and again, closure we are not getting…if you aren't down with helping..GO DO SOMETHING or make something ….please~

_________________

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link:
https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3
OR Search on Facebook for : THOR ART

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2014-05-18 14:30 ]


 View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 27, 2002
Posts: 412
From: SoCal
Posted: 2014-05-18 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

so your sentiments are essentially meaningless.



Yet you bothered to reply to them.... Therefore deflecting Thors purpose of this thread...which he just asked people not to do.

Quote:

but it is not up to you to decide when it is over



but its up to you to decide its not over? huh...I didn't realized you opinion should be valued more than mine.

Bottom line here is, I gave my opinion, some liked it some didn't. I apologized for deflecting the thread. It was done.
Then along comes you to kick the hornets nest again...

Some people just aren't gracious in victory I guess.

So before you hit reply, maybe do like Thor says and keep the focus....

I got no problems stop posting on this thread, unless people keep provoking me saying offensive stuff, telling me my opinions don't matter and I'm related to the owner....



 
View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 30, 2004
Posts: 594
Posted: 2014-05-18 2:38 pm   Permalink

"Editrix" I apologize….meant to get right back to you and got distracted here. Shared your site/video on FB! Thanks buddy for caring! Yes, I do have another idea/s for more cartoons on this saga. I just might sketch a few up. I need to read back here…there were others with great ideas for social network energy! Again, thanks!!



_________________

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link:
https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3
OR Search on Facebook for : THOR ART

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2014-05-18 14:38 ]


 View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 20, 2013
Posts: 168
From: Los Angeles via Brooklyn NYC
Posted: 2014-05-18 2:40 pm   Permalink

Rufus may have been property, but isn't preservation of all things Tiki especially those things associated with historical spots an important facet of this movement (correct me if I'm wrong). If it's okay to put tons of energy into preserving lamps, plastic parrots and wooden idols (all of which I love and am grateful for the lengths people go to find and preserve) isn't it worth it to try and put some energy into a living creature that represented a beloved restaurant? Even if you don't have empathy for Rufus as a living creature (because he was"property") doesn't his place in the history of the Bahooka (I've got mugs with his visage on them) count for something.

 
View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 221
Posted: 2014-05-18 4:47 pm   Permalink

I don't think anyone is peeing in your sand Thor.

I'm sure everyone hopes for a good outcome for the fish. I only wish I had been to the Bahooka once!

I don't think it's the good sentiment that is bothering some, it's the bad. The fish cause is great, but some might see these threads as 14 + pages of conjecture & slander. Wasn't it the negativity that caused the first thread to shut down?

But what do I know? Best of luck with the press Thor!


 
View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 19, 2009
Posts: 5859
From: Costa Misery
Posted: 2014-05-18 4:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-18 14:36, ErichTroudt wrote:
Quote:

so your sentiments are essentially meaningless.



Yet you bothered to reply to them.... Therefore deflecting Thors purpose of this thread...which he just asked people not to do.

Quote:

but it is not up to you to decide when it is over



but its up to you to decide its not over? huh...I didn't realized you opinion should be valued more than mine.

Bottom line here is, I gave my opinion, some liked it some didn't. I apologized for deflecting the thread. It was done.
Then along comes you to kick the hornets nest again...

Some people just aren't gracious in victory I guess.

So before you hit reply, maybe do like Thor says and keep the focus....

I got no problems stop posting on this thread, unless people keep provoking me saying offensive stuff, telling me my opinions don't matter and I'm related to the owner....





Just to add some clarity since your post is all over the place contextually
And you have a penchant for misinterpretation & inaccuracy

I am assuming that you are addressing my comment and someone else's with a blanket reply?
Just what "victory" are you referring to?
Just whom, said you are not entitiled to your opinion?
Just whom is kicking the proverbial hornets nest?

As a matter of fact it was you whom posted a declaration for us to stop pursuing this matter
which is much more then simply stating an opinion, then you seem surprised & indignant of a rebuttal, seriously?

"This is beating a dead horse. It has to stop...people calling for "justice" and saying the owner needs to be held accountable for actions....its gone to far.
people keep demanding an answer that has been already given... Rufus is alive according to his owner.
Its done.
Just because he didn't end up where "you" wanted is no reason to keep dragging this out.
Its over."

But you then use nonfactual and inaccurate statements to make your point, so of course your sentiments are essentially meaningless
since they are not based on fact, I also surmise your true intention was the debasement of our activities
also to devalue our concerns, which again is more then just an opinion.







Quote:

On 2014-05-18 12:44, ErichTroudt wrote:
Actually, that summary is missing a lot of what has transpired.

Lets all take a moment and look at this from a distance, I know some you you have "skin in the game" but just for a second lets review and consider some thoughts....

If the owner didn't care about rufus why would he have kept him around as long as he did? We know for a Fact he left rufus there and did construction around him because it he knew it would be harmful to move him.
We know for a fact he paid someone (jorge) to take care of him.

Why would he do this if he didn't care? He would have thrown him in the dumpster and continued on.


He gave a deadline of wanting to sell rufus. Tiki central and newspaper and fundraisers went to work...but if you review old threads, by the time damons agreed and measurements were made it was way past the deadline...
There was even possibilities of private owners but people on this website kept saying he should go somewhere public..

moving rufus safely became less important than moving him safely to a place "you" wanted.

The owner then changes his mind because the deadline was missed. Says he will build a tank. Says you can donate to the transport and tank.... people balk at that idea...why? because rufus isn't going where "they" want..... people come on here and say horrible rude things about him, his character, his business etc.

Why? because he changed his mind? Because you all missed the deadline? Because rufus didn't go where "you" wanted?

Rufus disappears...rumors abound.....is he in a tank? is he in the long beach river? is he in the pond?

People automatically assume the worst and call him more names....

the owner finally replies to the press, "rufus is alive and well in a pond"

a pond is better than the dumpster..... so obviously he still must care about the fish

people call him more names, say its not appropriate living space (even though internet video proves otherwise) and demand a picture... they discuss breaking into his property

They make demands after calling him more horrible names, a liar and threatening to perform illegal acts against him... then everyone sits back and wonders and complains why he won't come up with a picture?

In the chinese culture, "face" is a big thing. Once the owner said "he's alive and well", the press calling back and asking him to prove it is the owner losing face....you politely called him a liar, and I would be surprised if he ever speaks about it again...

That all said, the biggest thing here is... Rufus is a fish. Few different turns in life and hes on a south american dinner plate. Fish die every day being transported to pet stores, peoples houses,...we've all flushed a dead one down the toilet. He could die in the pond, he could have died at damons, he could just die for any reason, everything does..

This is beating a dead horse. It has to stop...people calling for "justice" and saying the owner needs to be held accountable for actions....its gone to far.

people keep demanding an answer that has been already given... Rufus is alive according to his owner.

Its done.

Just because he didn't end up where "you" wanted is no reason to keep dragging this out.

Its over.





[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-05-18 16:52 ]


 
View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3811
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2014-05-18 8:16 pm   Permalink

First and foremost, I hope Rufus is alive and thriving. I still have hopes in seeing him at Damon's, where I occasionally stop in for happy hour.

Of course, if Rufus were alive and thriving, it is far more likely than not confirmation of this fact would exist. There has been far more than enough time for any corroboration to have been posted.

Furthermore, if one were an business owner, one would attempt to positively market the business, including Rufus, to my likely customer base, not hide and dodge obvious questions.





 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Feb 24, 2007
Posts: 380
From: los angeles
Posted: 2014-05-18 8:41 pm   Permalink

Where's Fez?? Simple question since he supposedly has the answer.. So he says.. Has he gone into hiding? Maybe the tiki community should treat him by ignoring him and disrespecting him like he has done to us time and time again? Just saying… Or maybe that doesn't matter now that he has sold his wares?? Not ohana





[ This Message was edited by: ron-tiki 2014-05-18 20:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ron-tiki 2014-05-18 21:10 ]


 
View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3811
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2014-05-18 8:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-18 20:41, ron-tiki wrote:
Where's Fez?? Simple question since he supposedly has the answer.. So he says.. Has he gone in hiding? Maybe the tiki community should treat him by ignoring him and disrespecting him like he has done to us time and time again? Just saying… Or maybe that doesn't matter now that he has sold his wares?? Not ohana



I had hoped to see Fez' photos of Rufus, although I am not surprised that they have not materialized, particularly after THOR's post appropriately raising the issue of possible photoshopped photos.


 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 30, 2004
Posts: 594
Posted: 2014-05-18 9:23 pm   Permalink

I have to say, this has been one of the strangest things in my experiences on T.C. Yes, the Rufus stuff, but also my wanting desperately to understand you, Fez. I just don't get the constant "tease" throughout this whole thing. I want to understand, truly, and my only feeling is not one of dislike or judgement, but just question as to your intent. Especially when you have expressed that you feel very victimized here.
The recent Rufus photo claims really sent me over the top. I cannot imagine why one would claim such a thing and vanish. kinna cruel. As I mentioned, it just was "begging" for attention..and not good attention, if not anger. In keeping with the focus of this thread to share as a community, information and passion for this cause, the photos WOULD have been at least a welcome glint of hope, IF real.

This entire saga has been exhausting to keep a positive heading into the wind. I have to say, I have experienced nothing like this! it's been a TOTAL MIND F…K! To say the least lol



 
View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 30, 2004
Posts: 594
Posted: 2014-05-19 08:57 am   Permalink



 
View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation