FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-27 1:37 pm   Permalink

Sorry Hakalugi, you are right, I have made my point and no need to continue to do so
I can use that vacation Tikicoma

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-27 2:11 pm   Permalink

Martian-tiki's tale of chinese woe reminds me of the Taino legend of Santiago. This myth was first encountered in 1492:

The Caribbean myth of Santiago is the story of a battle between an old, experienced fisherman and a large marlin. The mythical story opens with the explanation that the fisherman, who is named Santiago, has gone 84 days without catching a fish. Santiago is considered "salao", the worst form of unluckiness. In fact, he is so unlucky that his young apprentice, Manolin, has been forbidden by his parents to sail with the old man and been ordered to fish with more successful fishermen. Still dedicated to the old man, however, the boy visits Santiago's shack each night, hauling back his fishing gear, getting him food and discussing American baseball and his favorite player Joe DiMaggio. Santiago tells Manolin that on the next day, he will venture far out into the Gulf Stream, north of Cuba in the Straits of Florida to fish, confident that his unlucky streak is near its end. Thus on the eighty-fifth day, Santiago sets out alone, taking his skiff far onto the Gulf Stream. He sets his lines and, by noon of the first day, a big fish that he is sure is a marlin takes his bait. Unable to pull in the great marlin, Santiago instead finds the fish pulling his skiff. Two days and two nights pass in this manner, during which the old man bears the tension of the line with his body. Though he is wounded by the struggle and in pain, Santiago expresses a compassionate appreciation for his adversary, often referring to him as a brother. He also determines that because of the fish's great dignity, no one will be worthy of eating the marlin. On the third day of the ordeal, the fish begins to circle the skiff, indicating his tiredness to the old man. Santiago, now completely worn out and almost in delirium, uses all the strength he has left in him to pull the fish onto its side and stab the marlin with a harpoon, ending the long battle between the old man and the tenacious fish. Santiago straps the marlin to the side of his skiff and heads home, thinking about the high price the fish will bring him at the market and how many people he will feed. While Santiago continues his journey back to the shore, sharks are attracted to the trail of blood left by the marlin in the water. The first, a great mako shark, Santiago kills with his harpoon, losing that weapon in the process. He makes a new harpoon by strapping his knife to the end of an oar to help ward off the next line of sharks; in total, five sharks are slain and many others are driven away. But the sharks keep coming, and by nightfall the sharks have almost devoured the marlin's entire carcass, leaving a skeleton consisting mostly of its backbone, its tail and its head. Finally reaching the shore before dawn on the next day, Santiago struggles on the way to his shack, carrying the heavy mast on his shoulder. Once home, he slumps onto his bed and falls into a deep sleep. A group of fishermen gather the next day around the boat where the fish's skeleton is still attached. One of the fishermen measures it to be 18 feet (5.5 m) from nose to tail. Tourists at the nearby café mistakenly take it for a shark. Manolin, worried during the old man's endeavor, cries upon finding him safe asleep. The boy brings him newspapers and coffee. When the old man wakes, they promise to fish together once again. Upon his return to sleep, Santiago dreams of his youth—of lions on an African beach. When he finally awakens, he mixes and slams three 1934 zombies, made improperly on the rocks instead of with crushed ice blended in a top-down mixer, then takes out his wave-runner and drunkenly crashes into a pier, killing everyone on board.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-27 3:06 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-27 3:25 pm   Permalink

thePorpoise ftw!!

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-27 3:39 pm   Permalink

O.K. here's the deal. Stop disrespecting my thread.! Unless you have information that is useful and directly related to what I created this thread for, get off of here!! Go to the bilge or your local bar and tell fish stories and pee in each others mai tai's.!!! What a high school minded site this is becoming with some of you members! My LORD! Again, knock off the smart ass banter! I can't wait to see some of you in person to see if the faces I am imagining match the tweaked characters I am creating in my mind…man! Have some respect for the cause here guys!! or GET OFF MY THREAD!!

[ This Message was edited by: Thor's 2014-04-27 20:33 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-27 10:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-26 18:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Just got back from the Don's Marketplace today & talked to the "folks" in the know
And this was reported from several people, I will let them post themselves if they care to.

The first source is from the head of the kitchen staff at the former Bahooka
And two other folks confirmed the same story.

"Rufus was released into an outdoor Koi Pond in Long Beach at a friend of the current owner"

As Rufus is a warm water fish that has been kept in a single closed tank environment for 40 some years
There is just no way he can survive this change in habitat, The shock alone is enough to kill him
I am 100% sure he is dead & unless I see photos, proving otherwise I have no hope at this point that he is alive.
No one will confirm if he is dead or alive at this time and will offer no proof otherwise!

Fez had this information & choose to withhold it & even lie about it, I guess his fealty is to the new owner of the restaurant
Whom has given him the remaining remnants of the Bahooka.

This is the best information I have been able to get from mulitable sources.
sorry to be the one to bring the bad news to those following this situation.

So this is true?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 03:13 am   Permalink

Christiki...

Not certain...but This thread is serving the intended purpose. It's making the muck raise to to the top. All info this far is sourced to the claims of Mr. zhu, the current holder of the Bahooka property, including Rufus. I personally have ZERO trust in what he claims, based on his history and shady character. So we can only hope that maybe, more reliable info surfaces. There was a "moral obligation" for the former Bahooka owners to see that Rufus was properly cared for after the place was sold. They were lied to by an aggressive buyer who assured his safety and care and sold to this owner, Mr. zhu, who "passed" on the opportunity to have his fish taken off his hands and put in a loving home, (though we raised money to cover the expenses to safely do this) after he threatened a two week time frame before he would take care of the "burden" his way. You see how it all unfolded. Bad energy breeds more bad energy! I will suggest this thread stay open for the potential that this saga has a really good surprise ending! Lol. I am up painfully late prepping for a creative presentation to Sea World, ironically...lol unrelated to this topic. I just popped in for a moment here. Night all

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2014-04-28 10:49 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 11:35 am   Permalink

Hi all -- So going off of Thor's "weekend plan" I just got off the phone with Frank Syong the gentleman who wrote the article saying that the new owners were going to keep Rufus on.

After speaking to me Frank got in touch with the new owner and then called me back. Frank was able to speak with the new owner in Chinese and said that Rufus (and many other fish from the restaurant) are currently at his house alive and well. Frank was very concerned and I pressed him to make sure he believed the new owner. Frank said that he really thinks he's telling the truth and that speaking to him in his native tongue was a big help.

I have to say that I am still suspicious, since this guys behavior has been sketchy from the beginning, but Frank seems like a very nice guy who was genuinely concerned. I will say that if Fez or anyone else had this info and could have shared it here, then I don't see why they didn't, but as someone else said no one is obligated to do anything in this situation. It's all about what we're willing to do.

Frank asked me to keep him appraised of any new developments, as he is ready and willing to write a follow up article if it turns out that Rufus actually met an untimely end.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 11:41 am   Permalink

O.K. I think we do need some sort of proof. A suggestion is for this to be a story that IS continued by the press... They could take pics of Rufus ad the other fish and it be part of the article that follows the closure of this issue. We really need this part, since "word alone" is just not going to cut it here. I think the article follow up would be a GREAT way to raise our faith in Mr. Zhu as well. Everyone wins! ~~

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link: https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3
OR Search on Facebook for : THOR ART

SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-28 11:41, THOR's wrote:
O.K. I think we do need some sort of proof. A suggestion is for this to be a story that IS continued by the press... They could take pics of Rufus ad the other fish and it be part of the article that follows the closure of this issue. We really need this part, since "word alone" is just not going to cut it here. I think the article follow up would be a GREAT way to raise our faith in Mr. Zhu as well. Everyone wins! ~~

Tom I don't disagree with you and I asked Frank just that. For him it's not a story he can get printed until there's confirmation of something terrible or until Rufus (and the other fish) are in the new restaurant. An interim (the fish are still safe) piece, while important to us didn't seem like a possibility. Like I said he really believed Zhu on the phone. This would be a perfect opportunity for someone who has a personal relationship with Zhu and a connection to this community to be able to help out, since they may be able to take such a photo.

My GF wrote to Chris Nichols who was the guy she originally contacted months ago at LA magazine and this was his reply:

"I've been trying to contact Jorge for two weeks with no luck. A friend who donated to Hidden LA's fundraiser has asked those people for an update and were told the owners were not speaking to the press. I'm still hunting. Chris"

It seems like Franks ability to speak Chinese may be the only reason Zhu spoke with him.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 1:35 pm   Permalink

O.K. Interesting stuff! I think Jorge was in Mexico for a while I heard. Let's keep working on this though!! Thanks so much Myles! This is the type of open communication we have needed for some time!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 2:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks SoCal Savage! For getting the ball rolling on some real fact gathering efforts
Now I for one would be so happy to find out that what we know to date is wrong & Rufus is alive

But I'm just not the type to hold on to false hope & after so much subterfuge, I remain extremely skeptical
Of any remarks from Mr. Zhu or sources close to him, a simple press photo would be so easy to provide
And would be in Mr. Zhu's best interest as I am sure he would not want any bad press.

But if true! This would mean the information we now have was either fed to those sources or they
Are outright lying? But for what possible purpose?

Jorge has been the principal caretaker of Rufus, but he is now incommunicado & reportedly in Mexico
For some time now, which means he is not taking care of Rufus at this time or possibly anymore?

All of this to say the very least, raises eyebrows.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-28 2:47 pm   Permalink

"A friend who donated to Hidden LA's fundraiser has asked those people for an update and were told the owners were not speaking to the press. I'm still hunting. Chris"

I don't totally understand this.
The new owner would have no knowledge of the fund raiser funds, other than he's not getting them.
Are the people from Hidden LA talking to anyone?
When is Hidden LA going to give an update of their own?
Does Hidden LA have in mind a date that says, we are done, thanks for helping here's your refund?

Where's Kari/Lynn at? they were on this, now nothing.
Jobs not done really.

For now it's a wait and see on Rufus and we are at the mercy of the new owner and
what he wants us to know/see.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 3:09 pm   Permalink

Skip, I just saw & spoke with Kari on Saturday, she knows exactly what we all know
Mr. Zhu will not communicate with any of us & this so far is a dead end
Hopefully the press can find out the truth about all of this.

I am sure the Hidden L.A. Folks are just waiting for the facts or confirmation
of what we have heard so far, I am sure they will return the funds if they are not needed.

They are in the same boat as the rest of us, no solid proof of anything really.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-04-28 15:10 ]

SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 3:30 pm   Permalink

Worse case scenario ATP, what you heard is true and Zhu is lying and he's hoping this will all go away by the time he opens. If Zhu lied to Frank, the LA times reporter, then the truth will come out when he opens.

Im not sure how to get proof of Rufus being alive before then (barring a spy mission into Zhu's house), but if the restaurant opens and there's no Rufus, I do believe Frank (LA Times) would revisit the story. It may be a question of just staying on top of this until then, unless some other media outlet,that I haven't contacted, wants to push it. Chris, the LA mag guy, said he's looking into things, but it doesn't seem like they're going to go down there right now. Maybe the folks at hidden LA have some deeper connects they can work? Their FB page reaches a lot of people and is basically a media outlet itself in this day and age.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation