FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Sven Kirsten's book: Tiki Pop
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Sven Kirsten's book: Tiki Pop
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 08:55 am   Permalink

===================================

TIKI POP I hope that it's OK I'm going to post a few photos here from the book. We love the book.
Talk about pounds of History. My scale goes between 5.5 and 6 pounds of Tiki goodness. Every page is covered with photos.
Sven has done it again, he's a master. He'll keep Tiki on everyone's radar. Thank you SVEN.

Off facebook today I borrowed this photo that shows the size.

I'm showing a tiny amount of photos that made my year if not more.

We love Gecko'z art and what a thrill to see he's holding one of my Bloody Maori heads that he had altered.

This is my own photo.

He's in the photo with kingstiedye aka Bullet.

Another page shows work by GROG and Bosko.

Another page shows Doug Horne, Derek Yanger, Tiki Art Shark and little lost tiki.

I'm so happy to fine one of Roge's Tiki Chunk Lamps. I did the sculpt for the tikis on the sides. That's an Eric October on the right.

The ultimate for me was the page with my Zombie's Torch mug.

I didn't show much of the book. The last image of my torch is on page 377.

Over and over I say a huge THANK YOU Sven. Love the book. (I'm such a ham.) Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2014-07-26 08:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2014-07-26 09:31 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 09:03 am   Permalink

Wendy, you and all of the artists have unquestionably earned your place in that book!

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 10:37 am   Permalink

And there are STILL many more who I could not get in again! It was only on chapter on the revival, and there's only so much room.

I tried to get in folks that had not been in the previous two, like Crazy Al, Buzzy, Ken Ruzic, Doug Horne…

But still, I failed getting in Tiki Tony, Michael Uhlencott, Cass, Kirby…

It all will be taken care of in the "Big Book of the Tiki Revival"…. just wait another 7 years

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-26 10:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
And there are STILL many more who I could not get in again! It was only on chapter on the revival, and there's only so much room.

I think the big miss was Benzart who spans both the semi old days and the revival times.
Still love the book.

Just got my copy of Tiki Pop today and it is GREAT!
On page 185 there is a table lamp “table lamp for unknown restaurant”
By Frank Brajevic collection.

This is the first table lamp for the Kahiki restaurant in Columbus Ohio
made by Bill Sapps wife in the basement of the Kahiki, they were oil lamps as told by
Herman Leitwien and would be filled with coconut scented oil when lit.

And on page 249 the “Quiet Village” sign was missing from the Kahiki, would love to find the story
on how it made it’s way to Hawaii?

Also Wendy you and the others should be proud of getting in this book as it is a winner.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-26 13:37, tikiskip wrote:

I think the big miss was Benzart who spans both the semi old days and the revival times.

He's in there. page 375 or something like that. You must have missed it because you couldn't look away from the drum picture on the same page
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-26 4:36 pm   Permalink

My copy came today. It is a rare instance when something exceeds your expectations so greatly. I did not anticipate that TIKI POP would match (or surpass) the scope and high quality of Sven's previous books -- but it really does. It's an indispensable reference guide -- and the thing is HUGE and heavy, dwarfing BOT and TIKI MODERN.

And as much as there is in TIKI POP, at a first glance I came away both satisfied with the TON of info in the book and also hopeful that there is still room for Sven to mine even further (and that this is not the last book from Sven, after he catches his breath). After all, there's still more to dig out and document out there!

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 5:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-26 16:08, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Quote:

He's in there. page 375 or something like that. You must have missed it because you couldn't look away from the drum picture on the same page
Buzzy Out!

I must have missed it after a quick skim, AND gazing at your drum.
Your drum is very cool never saw that one.
Plus, good for Benzart! TC was gittin to the point where they did not remember the old skool,
And Benzart is the real deal old skool.

Dam was that light even from Kahiki?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 7:42 pm   Permalink

Boy, I hope mine shows up soon! The suspense is killing me!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-27 06:59 am   Permalink

My copy is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Can't wait to see it!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-27 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-26 16:08, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Quote:

Buzzy Out!

A case of beating your own drum, I say
looking good!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-27 5:31 pm   Permalink

the big miss was ME !!!

but there is a picture of three nautical style lamps in there that sven bought from me so i'll take what i can get.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-27 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-27 17:31, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
the big miss was ME !!!
but there is a picture of three nautical style lamps in there that sven bought from me so i'll take what i can get.

Dave have you even been in the mag of Tiki?
What is it you do again?:-)

We have some DSK in our home.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-28 10:19 am   Permalink

Sven!

MAhalos for having Mrs Boo and I at the Egyptian yesterday. Wow, this book is HUGE!!!

As per the Eli Hedley part, one of these days we'll get it right

Name- Correct Spelling wooo hooo!!!!

"Real Beachcomber" - You get off for forewarning me Eli Hedley was the "Original Beachcomber" named by the Wall Street Journal.

Paradise Cove- Incorrect. Paradise Cove is in Malibu. The driftwood beach house was in White Point/Royal Palms, end of Western Ave. San Pedro, Ca. Family nickname... The Cove"

1 out of 3 is not bad!! Baby steps. Next one we'll nail it!!

Aloha! Bamboo Ben

p.s. This is a running joke between Sven and I. The editors/fact checkers mess with us everytime!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-28 12:59 pm   Permalink

Ho boy!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-28 2:08 pm   Permalink

Thumbs up to Sven for this new book, its a bloody monster!

Now to get to work on a TikiG PolyPop artwork icon so I may earn a place/photo in "Big Book of the Tiki Revival" !!

Mahalo!! G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation