FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Sven Kirsten's book: Tiki Pop
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Sven Kirsten's book: Tiki Pop
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-01 9:38 pm   Permalink

Nice video clip Sven. I agree with above. I was getting into it too then it ended too quickly. But long live the Tiki-Ti.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 4:06 pm   Permalink

We've made it, folks! :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/01/taschen-tiki-pop-sven-kirsten_n_5640183.html

I don't own any shares in any companies, BUT this link got me 45 shares on Facebook

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-08-03 09:06 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-02 4:20 pm   Permalink

Congratulations, nice article. I am still surfing through the pictures in Tiki Pop...just amazing.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 4:36 pm   Permalink

Alright, alright, alright!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-03 08:34 am   Permalink

Great book Sven. I will have to dig into it after Tiki Oasis. Visually stunning.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-03 09:04 am   Permalink

It was a challenge (after two size-able Tiki tomes) to please the neophyte as well as the discerning, experienced Tikiphile such as you, my friend. I am happy if I succeeded.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-04 03:56 am   Permalink

Just got my copy a few days ago. Halfway through, and gotta say it is incredible! I think it is one of the best so far, and love that the pictures are much larger. There are certain elements to tiki I never really quite grasped, things that were touched on in Sven's other books, but not really fully explained. For instance the Hollywood connection and how tiki temples were basically movie sets, it never occurred to me just how true that was and how deep that connection went. I really love how there is more about the pre-tiki poly pop scene, and especially the pictures of the ephemera and memorabilia from those days, personally I'd love to see an entire book on just the early poly pop stuff as it is my personal favorite. I only see a few examples so far of art deco style poly pop, but as I said I am only half through the book.

Thank you Sven for such a treasure of a tome. I am finally able to start putting some of the history together into a more cohesive picture through your thoughtful prose and wonderful photos. This has really enhanced my fascination of tiki and poly pop, and made me fall in love with it all over again.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-04 07:16 am   Permalink

Thank you for that nice and thoughtful review, tigertail. That really makes me feel like I accomplished my mission.

RyanTheTerrible
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-05 07:52 am   Permalink

This book is INCREDIBLE

View Profile of RyanTheTerrible Send a personal message to RyanTheTerrible      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Journey

Posted: 2014-08-06 09:16 am   Permalink

Received our copy Monday. Cannot wait to sit down and give it my undivided attention.

View Profile of Rum Journey Send a personal message to Rum Journey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-06 09:32 am   Permalink

Its HUGE !! A true Coffee Table Book.

Lots of familiar images and lots of new ones as well.

I like the matte print. Makes it a lot easier to look at the pictures without a glare.

Thanks for your ongoing efforts to keep us entertained and informed Sven.

I still remember the day and location where I found my Book of Tiki. I was on a business trip to San Francisco and was walking around the town after my meetings near Fishermans wharf. Stopped in to a local bookstore and found it on a shelf in 2003. It was the beginning of the end for me....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-11 2:59 pm   Permalink

Sven,
Thanks for coming to sell n sign you new book at the
Surf Guitar 101.com convention.
I really didn't know how sales would be for you.
When you told me you sold out,
I was really shocked and happy.

Did you stay and see the German band?

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-11 6:28 pm   Permalink

I'll see them at Oasis. It was fun to sit with Dom and Jim, and I got a lot of compliments on my work. Even this 12 year old girl told me "I really like your books"

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-08-11 18:29 ]

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-08-11 6:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-06 09:32, Monkeyman wrote:
Its HUGE !! A true Coffee Table Book.

GROG going to put legs on it and use it AS a coffee table.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-11 7:58 pm   Permalink

I saw it at this cute little bookstore.

http://youtu.be/-rlgk3Vd0ZY

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation