FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 05:01 am   Permalink

Hi Dan. Nice find. I don't think it was from The Mauna Loa Detroit though. The design looks like North West area Native American to me also. I did some digging on Mayer China and the number "261" is a date code. 2 being the second quarter of the year and 61 being 1961. The Mauna Loa opened in 1967. As far as I know they marked every thing with their name. Anything to do with the Mauna Loa is always worth checking out. Here's a plate posted by Sabu in the colecting tiki thread. Thanks for posting the plate.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-01-03 05:10 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 05:39 am   Permalink

And I see the same pattern plate is out on Ebay right now also from the estate of a former cook.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-03 05:39, uncle trav wrote:
And I see the same pattern plate is out on Ebay right now also from the estate of a former cook.

Hey Uncletrav, yeh, that's where I saw this one. I did not purchase one. I just thought it was an interesting piece.
I did email the seller and he said it was from the estate of the cook and that he took "boxes" of items home from the restaurant and that this was with it. He is not sure if he will be selling the items locally (In Detriot) or if he will list the items. Sounds like alot of stuff may be in the market soon though.

Good research on the maker info! I was hoping someone would do this and with that information, I would say for sure it is not a plate that was actually used at the Mauna Loa.

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 2:24 pm   Permalink

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 2:37 pm   Permalink

Nice find Tiki David ! Looks like a close match. Do you have any info about the piece.

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-03 14:37, uncle trav wrote:
Nice find Tiki David ! Looks like a close match. Do you have any info about the piece.

no. other than i am pretty sure it came from the KON-TIKI in Cleveland.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 10:03 am   Permalink

not even close if you think this is from mauna loa....there are no carving details on it like the details on the mauna loa.....i count 4 swirl patterns on the blades in the mauna loa pic....none on the one from tiki david...probably from the O.A. tiki mill.....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-04 10:04 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 10:16 am   Permalink

Here is another image of the Mauna loa piece with some more detail pulled out. I mentioned it was a close match, not spot on. Tiki David said it was from the Kon-Tiki. Good for comparison in anyway.

Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 08:41 am   Permalink

I found an Aug. 1968 article with a couple of photos:

Not much in the article, mostly descriptions of the food, but here's what they had, cocktail wise:

"There's the Coco Aku, rums in a coconut milk base; the Polynesian Pigeon, the Tiger Shark, and, of course, the Zombie. Several of the drinks re flower kissed with gardenias or orchids, and a long list is divided for mild, medium, strong, or hot tastes. Under mild, there's the Banana Cow and the Missionary's Downfall. Under medium, Rain Killer and Hawaiian Sunset are billed. For those who can take it strong, Cobra's Fang is listed."

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-12 08:44 am   Permalink

Yo ! Post the food descriptions too. Tiki Food is Good Food !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 09:09 am   Permalink

Great post Mo-Eye. Fantastic picture of the interior. Where did you find the article? I'd like to get a copy of it for my Michigan archive. Anything new on the Mauna Loa is rare. Thanks.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-25 04:50 am   Permalink

This dinner menu just sold on eBay.Hope someone here on TC won it and will post some good scans.. I did save the auction pics to post here on the off-chance it ended up outside the collecting world..
Sorry about the image quality but it is what it is. Fantastic colors and graphics for this menu.

Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-25 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-12 09:09, uncle trav wrote:
Great post Mo-Eye. Fantastic picture of the interior. Where did you find the article? I'd like to get a copy of it for my Michigan archive. Anything new on the Mauna Loa is rare. Thanks.

I think it came from a Toledo Newspaper. I'll see if I can confirm and get back to you.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-27 11:54 am   Permalink

Picked up these four glasses today. Anything from the Mauna Loa is rare but four glasses at one stop is a treasure trove. Sorry about the milk cocktail but it shows off the name well. I also messed around with one of the pics on the thread and brought out some great background detail. Thanks.

Here is the before pic.

And the after. Note the large carving next to the woman seated in the background. And the large capiz shell globe lamp in the upper right.

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-27 12:07 pm   Permalink

Very nice Uncle Trav! I wish Wisconsin was as fruitful as Michigan, but more than likely your just better at digging.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation