FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki -Ti, Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki -Ti, Hollywood, CA (bar)
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 10:51 am   Permalink

That is a good point. There are a few areas in and around Milwaukee that are starting to see non-smoking places. But there is no ordinance against it yet, although I believe a few communities are talking about it.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kukoae
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-13 03:30 am   Permalink

On 2004-11-10 10:42, TikiMaxton wrote:
Quote:
It's a shame that so much of the clutter a decoration is permanently discolored by tar and nicotine.

Yeah, I agree. :/

Quote:
One of the many reasons we like to travel back to our home state is its enlightened attitude towards smoking (Oregon only banned smoking in restaurants a few years ago, and you'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple of smoke-free bars in Portland), and Tiki Ti loses many charm points in my book because it doesn't share that attitude.

In California, smoking is banned in all restaurants and bars, but there is apparently a loophole I didn't realise existed which allows the Tiki-Ti to allow smoking there.

I voted for the law's passage back in 95 or 96 when it was up for consideration as a Proposition. The rollout for bars was staggered by a year or two, but a complete ban on smoking in bars took effect Jan 1, 1998.

As a generally non-interventionist "Libertarian" sort, I am aware of the fine line between tolerating differences and setting a standard which hurts the least number of people. I'm also well aware of the relationship one addictive substance has on another, especially in the grand tradition of bars whose images are burned into our collective consciousness.

But still, the reek of smoke so lingers in my clothes, that I end up having to put them straight into the washer since even putting them in the hamper causes a bad smell to seep out into the hallway.

Yuck.

Given a place the size of Tiki-Ti, and the relatively casual environment where there'd be no problem with people ducking out for a suck on their cancerstick-du-choix, but then that would make it hard for Mike (the elder) to take a ciggie-break behind the bar, I guess.

Ah well. It's a lovely place though, and Mike mixes some mean drinks. (Great White Shark - ouch.)

=Kukoae=

View Profile of Kukoae Send a personal message to Kukoae      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spycygrl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-08 04:27 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-05-13 03:30, Kukoae wrote:
On 2004-11-10 10:42, TikiMaxton wrote:

Quote:

In California, smoking is banned in all restaurants and bars, but there is apparently a loophole I didn't realise existed which allows the Tiki-Ti to allow smoking there.

I voted for the law's passage back in 95 or 96 when it was up for consideration as a Proposition. The rollout for bars was staggered by a year or two, but a complete ban on smoking in bars took effect Jan 1, 1998.

As a generally non-interventionist "Libertarian" sort, I am aware of the fine line between tolerating differences and setting a standard which hurts the least number of people. I'm also well aware of the relationship one addictive substance has on another, especially in the grand tradition of bars whose images are burned into our collective consciousness.
=Kukoae=

Just an FYI: The ban was an OSHA ban for the protection of EMPLOYEES working in the food and beverage industry. It was not a ban for the protection of customers. That was just a bonus.

Thus, any owner-operated bar/restaurant is exempt not because of a "loophole," but because they don't need the state to protect them from themselves. This only applies to bars in which only owners of the business work there. They cannot "employ" anyone.

The Tiki Ti is very tiny and gets extremely crowded. There are no "ins & outs" when it's busy because it's all about getting in early and staying. Once you're out, you're out. There are a million other bars to go to in this town which are smoke-free. The few that aren't are nowhere near the norm.

And remember: when Tiki culture first began, EVERYONE smoked liked chimneys. To be true to tiki culture, smoking is included.

p.s. I quit smoking 5 years ago, so I'm not sticking up for the smokers. Just giving some background to the Tiki Ti policy (I live around the corner and hit there about once a week).

View Profile of spycygrl Send a personal message to spycygrl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 8:12 pm   Permalink

I was in LA on 10/15 and finally had a chance to check out the tiki mecca known as the Tiki Ti...

This place totally lives up to the hype. The bar area was packed so I never got a chance to chat with Mike and Mike - wanted to thank them for keeping the place alive!

I did manage to knock out three drinks courtesy of the younger Mike. Ray's Mistake to start things out - 10/10 in my book. I only wish I knew how to mix these up. Next up, Uga Booga (say Uga Booga, Uga Booga) - mmm, love that dark rum and there was plenty of it - another killer drink. Lastly a Zombie to round out the night - not as strong as I expected but very tasty.

Before I left I heard the legendary Blood and Sand chant - ahh, how I miss LA and mostly the Tiki Ti. In the words of the governator, "I'll be back".

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 11:30 pm   Permalink

Johnman, I'm so glad you got to experience Tiki-Ti -- it is indeed a true classic, and I've been missing it mightily. Sounds like you had a great time.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-21 1:32 pm   Permalink

We were able to pop into Tiki-Ti for a short bit on Friday, and the Ray's Mistakes & 151 Swizzles are as good as ever. The soft glow in the room seemed warmer than usual, but that could have been the heat, or it could have just been that it felt like coming home. Whatever it was, the place looked great. The music was worlds better than it's been in the past, too -- Exotica all the way. Man, I miss that place.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 5:08 pm   Permalink

After reading that, Humuhumu... there's a tear in my beer (Which means I'm definitely NOT at Tiki Ti). It's been way too long. Thanks for conjuring up the vibe.

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-19 4:59 pm   Permalink

On the eve of International Tiki day I traveled to Tiki Ti after leaving Trader Vic's. I spotted this and knew it was a good sign.

And then I was off to the Purple Orchid.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-08-19 17:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-08-19 17:05 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 1:22 pm   Permalink

I've been to the Tiki-Ti many, many times, but I happend to drive by the other day in the afternoon and saw something I had never noticed before-- tiki torches on the top left-hand corner of the TIki-Ti building. Do they every light those anymore, do they even still work?

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-04-01 1:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-01 13:22, Digitiki wrote:
I've been to the Tiki-Ti many, many times, but I happend to drive by the other day in the afternoon and saw something I had never noticed before-- tiki torches on the top left-hand corner of the TIki-Ti building. Do they every light those anymore, do they even still work?

One possible answer here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24006&forum=1&vpost=304609

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-04-01 2:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-01 13:22, Digitiki wrote:

This past Halloween and New Year's Eve they were lit.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 5:16 pm   Permalink

quite the site to see,
made me very happy to see them lit.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-02 02:34 am   Permalink

New Years Eve 2008. Good times and fire.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-15 1:43 pm   Permalink

I found this really cool old photos of the Tiki-Ti with the old door still out front and the Tiki on the roof.

Also thought I should add the matchbooks to this thread as well.

First style

Second kind.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-02-15 13:58 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 09:43 am   Permalink

My girlfriend and I went to Tiki-Ti for the first time last month. Although I'd read lots about it, I was still surprised at how small it is. It's actually about the same size as our homebar that we built in our garage!

We arrived on a Saturday at 3:50 p.m. and Mike looked a bit surprised to see us waiting outside when he opened the door. "Hmmmmm, someone thirsty?" he asked. We were. I had a Ray's Mistake, Rum Barrel and a Navy Grog. The significant other had a Princess Pupuli and a Bayanihan. Great drinks, great atmosphere, a great time was had by all.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation