FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-07 02:21 am   Permalink

Aloha!

I just went to the TH this past Friday night where I finally met the other owner -- Jeremy -- a terrific chap who treated me to one of the only really good Blue Hawaiian's I've ever had; and properly garnished, too! (Maybe it's that dash of cream that makes the difference?)

Anyway, I'm happy to report that their OTHER fountain is now up and running at last!

This is the one --

-- though the greenery is currently absent. But various nice rocks are in place and I suggested, along with the needed foliage, that both a flourescent blacklight fixture be added above to complement some waterproof pond lighting shining up on the statue from below. And Jeremy loved the idea, so that may be happening soon, along with a possible blacklight mural to be painted on the (currently bamboo-covered) wall behind the statue.

But water now bubbles merrily from the stone tiki's mouth and runs into the (now water-tight!) basin below. So come and CHECK IT OUT! And while you're at it, take a look at the lovely cocktail menus Suzy Mosher created for them. Drinks haven't looked so tempting since the days of the vintage menus!

Lastly, Jeremy also really dug my idea of installing little pond-fogger misting units in each of the basins of the Tonga's main multi-tiered fountain behind the bar. Because, as lovely as that fountain is, the water cascades SO perfectly and placidly from one level to the next that Jeremy has sometimes been accused of having installed some sort of lucite SCULPTURE there instead of having real water!

But, with the addition of the foggers, they should get a nicely rolling cascade of mist that will follow the water from one level to the next and give the patrons something a bit more kinetic to stare at while they get happily plastered, not to mention enhancing the tropical atmosphere that much more!

I also suggested a bit more Oceanic Arts style bric a brac here and there -- some dried starfish to go in the netting they already have on one wall, some float-lights and/or tapa/seashell lamps, and perhaps a glowing puffer-lamp or two. And Jeremy was lovin' all of that as well, as he's a dude who has come to really appreciate the full spectrum of tiki.

So I think we can all look forward to continuing developments that will keep Tonga Hut going from strength to strength!

Cheers & Mahalos!

Castaway Clemens

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 6:10 pm   Permalink

I know this is short notice, but I'm going to the Tonga Hut tonight. Perhaps I'll see some TC'ers there.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 8:03 pm   Permalink

I just got back from Tonga Hut. I have been going there for the last ten years or so and I have to say it keeps on getting better and better. I like going there in the early afternoon when it is quiet. I had a Voodoo Juice that was out of this world and the bartender had just gotten the ingredients to make the Hibiscus Hula Cocktail, I tried one of those as well, a little too sweet for me but very good tasting. I have to say I feel real lucky to have Tonga Hut so close to my house, it is the perfect tiki bar. It is old, authentic, it has great music, it it is full of locals old and young, it has tropical drinks, it is dark, the TV shows old time movies and no sound, there are lots of tikis and artwork everywhere to enjoy and best of all, it doesn't pretend to be tiki because it is a real tiki bar from the 50's.....

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 7:31 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2009-09-08 19:32 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-28 10:13 pm   Permalink

More on the Grog log "Tonga Hut Elite"

We are ready to go at the Tonga Hut here is what you need to do to get started.

I will be featuring a Cocktail every Saturday & Sunday(unless noted) from 4-8pm at the Tonga Hut. Come in and fill out your "Tonga Hut Elite" Grog Log entry form. We will keep it at the Tonga Hut behind the bar in a note book and will be keeping count. You may try the "featured" drink that week of course BUT, you may come into the Tonga Hut anytime Sunday-Thursday 4pm-last call and Friday & Saturday 4pm-8pm and try any drink in the Grog Log have it credited to your "Elite" list (some exceptions see entry form for details). There are almost 90 drinks so let's see who gets done first.

We started last Sat. 9/26/09 In the lead is Iokona Ki'i (Jason) with 4 cocktails down 80 something to go! Tonga Tom right behind!

Good Luck everyone!!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 7:02 pm   Permalink

Here are some velvets that I recently painted for Tonga Hut.
Colors way off.

Mahalo Jeremy and MP!

www.jasonsallin.com

[ This Message was edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-10-25 18:25 ]

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 7:11 pm   Permalink

Iokona Ki'i

Those look great. My favorite is the palm leaf umbrella girl.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 09:50 am   Permalink

Mahalo DC! It was great working with Tonga Hut
on these. Might be putting a few more in there.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 05:15 am   Permalink

Looks great, and getting better. That fountain behind the bar is staggering. Extremely cool. So that has green lights below, and red and white in the ceiling cut-outs above? I second the notion of ultrasound foggers,. but be sure they're plain ones (which ARE available online, if you look). The more common ones have color-changing LEDs on top, which would totally spoil the look in here. Definitely don't want any light *in* the bowls.

Though I don't know if it'd look good in the bowl fountain, and might not in the tiki either, it's not difficult to make water in fountains react to UV (black light) - and I don't mean the yellow or green hi-liter trick, which looks more Halloween-y. It MIGHT look neat in the bowl fountain if the blacklight tube was placed below, alongside the green up-lights, so it affects only the falling water. Take "tonic water", let it go flat (any carbonation will consolidate in the pump and airlock it) and use it instead; the sulphate of quinine in it will fluoresce bright blue but, when the UV source is off, the water is still clear.

I'll be in LA for one day, in a few weeks, and I'm not sure where to go to get my tiki on. I definitely want to get a mug I can keep, eat something with my booze, and have a good Polynesian cocktail that a more seasoned tiki-phile would really enjoy - no sticky-sweet faux Mai Tais or anything-tinis. Sadly, what with all the chugging around the place I'll be doing (trying to show my very tiki-unknowing parents some stuff in LA, not that I know the area much better than they do) visiting San Pedro, Glendale and a few other areas, I'll have to be selective...

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-05 5:31 pm   Permalink

Be immortalized in Tonga Hut History forever!

Tonga Hut will be featuring a Cocktail every Saturday & Sunday(unless noted) from 4-8pm at the Tonga Hut. Come in and fill out your "Tonga Hut Elite" Grog Log entry form. We will keep it at the Tonga Hut behind the bar in a note book and will be keeping count. You may try the "featured" drink that week of course BUT, you may come into the Tonga Hut anytime Sunday-Thursday 4pm-last call and Friday & Saturday 4pm-8pm and try any drink in the Grog Log have it credited to your "Elite" list (some exceptions see entry form for details). There are almost 90 drinks so let's see who gets done first. A Tiki placard will be hung in the bar and on it will be the names of those who have bought and tried every drink in the Grog Log! Be immortalized in Tonga Hut History forever!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom

Posted: 2009-10-19 1:14 pm   Permalink

Wow! The list is a little intimidating. I've started my journey, though.

With Kelly as my faithful Sherpa, there's no mountain of ice I can't climb.

Thus far, I've had a Mai Tai, Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch, Pieces of Eight, Shark's Tooth, Sidewinder's Fang, Spindrift, Suffering Bastard, and a Tahitian.

Ordered a pizza too, and ate it at the bar! Mama's Pizza, if I remember correctly. Very tasty.

Long live the list!!!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 1:23 pm   Permalink

I, like Trader Tom before me, have started the Grog Log challenge at the Tonga Hut last Friday (10/16/09).

Thanks, Kelly for the cocktails and the company for the short time I was at the bar.

Til next time, Cheers!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-23 6:23 pm   Permalink

We are will on our way with the Grog Loggin' for sure!Kirby will have to get us that placard done soon! Tom had the best time by far last Sunday! lol... Yes it was Big Mama's pizza ha.... what fun we had HipHiPaHulA!!

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-25 04:45 am   Permalink

I am bartending Today Sun. Oct. 25 so come on down 4-8pm Happy Hour and lets not enjoy Sun. Football together! Let us enjoy Tiki Cocktails and party instead. Handcrafted Original Tiki Cocktail specials. See you at the Tonga Hut! 12808 Victory Bl. No. Hollywood, Ca.

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-29 02:27 am   Permalink

I am bartending Today Thurs, Sat & Sunday this week. Oct. 29 so come on down 4-8pm Happy Hour Handcrafted Original Tiki Cocktail specials. See you at the Tonga Hut! 12808 Victory Bl. No. Hollywood, Ca.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation