FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-28 7:44 pm   Permalink

Just got back from Tonga Hut, I don't know, a lot of work needs to be done. I almost felt like I should start doing it myself just to help out. It a great small neighborhood bar, a true tiki bar.Lots of luck to the owners.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-11 7:07 pm   Permalink

We poked our heads into the Tonga Hut on Tuesday to see for ourselves what's happened with the new ownership -- and we really liked what we saw!

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/lafeb2006/tongahut/

The new owner, Jeremy, happened to be there, and we spent the whole night chatting with him. He's very new to tiki -- only started learning about it after buying the bar in November 2005 -- but he's got the bug, big time. He really wants to restore the bar to vintage brilliance, and while the steps taken so far may seem small (he says it's only "an eighth" of what he wants to do) it felt like a night & day difference to me. With the beer posters gone and the lighting now much dimmer, it feels like a whole different place. More changes are on the way (the televisions have been turned off, a big sign of things to come), but he's being smart about it and taking his time, making sure he can do good work, and also not freak out the loyal regulars that keep the place afloat. He's also serving a Trader Vic's recipe Mai Tai! If you've never been to the Tonga Hut before, be sure to pop in and see it. And if you *have* been there before, go check it out again -- and be sure to update your Critiki ratings accordingly!

The regulars are *very* camera shy, which inhibited my ability to get good photos:

The new owner, Jeremy

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 10:15 am   Permalink

Nice photos!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cyd

Posted: 2006-02-13 1:52 pm   Permalink

Hi There - I'm CYD...
(Bartender at the TONGA HUT)

I just wanted to say Thank you to HumuHumu for your kind words and photo update of our new & improving....TONGA HUT!

In addition, I thought I would share with you just some of our new drink specials.

THE "NEW" TONGA HUT TROPICAL DRINKS...
* TONGA TEA
* TONGATINI
* RUMBOOGIE (my personal favorite)
* TONGA JUICE

and THE CLASSICS...
* ZOMBIE
* BLUE HAWAIIAN
* HURRICANE
* ....... MAI TAI of course

Each Tropical Drink is served in our New Tiki Mugs. (here is just one of the designs)

Well... Thanks to all of you that have been spreading the word about the new & improved TONGA HUT. It's greatly appreciated!

Also, please feel free to say Hello... I work every Saturday & Sunday Night... and let me know that your a TikiCentral member.

Thanks Again - CYD

Bartender/Tonga Hut
12808 Victory Blvd.,
North Hollywood

[ This Message was edited by: Cyd 2006-02-13 13:59 ]

View Profile of Cyd Send a personal message to Cyd  Email Cyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 7:12 pm   Permalink

Way to bring it, Cyd!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 5:08 pm   Permalink

I remember Cyd from my first visit to the Tonga Hut 3 years ago. I asked he what tropical drinks she liked to make and she made (I think) a Blue Hawaiian. I was very impressed with the skill and thought she put into the drink! She also had a very friendly attitude and made me feel like a regular. Glad she is still there.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 10:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-13 13:52, Cyd wrote:

Each Tropical Drink is served in our New Tiki Mugs. (here is just one of the designs)

Wow, I missed the reference to the tiki mug!

Now, Tonga Hut proudly takes its place with Trader Vics, Purple Orchid & Lucky Tiki as one of the LA area tiki bars which serve their libations in tiki mugs.

Netty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-15 10:29 pm   Permalink

Hubby and I are trying to get down to the LA area again soon. We will definitely be stopping by. I have passed by the place, but have never stopped. It's on the list now!

View Profile of Netty Send a personal message to Netty  Email Netty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-16 12:17 am   Permalink

Wow, Cyd, I remember you too! I'm so glad you're posting!! Folks, I've been to the Tonga Hut ONCE and this sweet, friendly lady made me feel like a lifelong regular! Not to mention, she made me a killer drink. Now THAT'S a fine bartender.

I dig the Tonga Hut and have been thrilled to hear of the wonderful developments.

No matter how many fascinating new tiki bars open, the nearest and dearest to my heart are always the old ones, especially a humble little neighborhood tiki bar like the Tonga Hut. So much history, so many stories...you can't just install that stuff.

Can't wait to visit again! Thanks for the pics, Humu--I should look for my old ones...

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cyd

Posted: 2006-02-16 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2006-02-14 17:08, mrsmiley wrote:
I remember Cyd...

On 2006-02-16 00:17, tikivixen wrote:[/i]
Wow, Cyd, I remember you too!

Glad It Was Memorable!

Bartender/Tonga Hut
12808 Victory Blvd.,
North Hollywood

View Profile of Cyd Send a personal message to Cyd  Email Cyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-02-17 4:21 pm   Permalink

Was there yesterday for a breakfast bloody mary and had a great visit. The place is looking great, and there's so much potential- can't wait to see the fountain running behind the bar. Really nice woman behind the bar as well- former owner I believe. The regulars were pretty chipper too, a pleasant surprise for a morning drinking crowd!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tongahut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-20 5:31 pm   Permalink

Thank you to everyone who is supporting Tonga Hut during its transition to its former glory. We appreciate your kind words and enthusiasm. Big Thanks to Hanford and Humuhumu for coming down and posting photos. We want to provide all of you with a comfortable and fun tiki bar that you can call your own. Let us know you're from Tiki Central when you come in. We'd love to meet all of you.

Ana and Jeremy
Tonga Hut Owners

View Profile of tongahut Send a personal message to tongahut  Email tongahut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 8:15 pm   Permalink

Did I hear a rumour of an anniversay party?

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 09:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-13 13:52, Cyd wrote:

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tongahut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-14 1:16 pm   Permalink

The Fountain Is Running!!!!!

Come Check It Out!!

Tonga Tom has had a face lift!!And along with new landscaping (the jasmine will bloom in July), a new paint job and our new neon cocktail sign, the Tonga Hut is on its way to ushering in a new era for tiki lovers in the Valley!!

Much thanks to Greg McKinney for all his hard work with the interior and exterior and to Glenn Aldridge at Spic & Span Fountain Cleaning.

There's more new music in the jukebox including exotica, vintage jazz and loungcore!!

Hope to see you soon!

Ana & Jeremy

View Profile of tongahut Send a personal message to tongahut  Email tongahut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation