FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
tongahut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-24 8:47 pm   Permalink

Ok. The TC Party at Tonga Hut has been changed to Saturday, July 8th at 9pm due to the San Diego event. Hilltiki, thanks for the heads up. See you in San Diego!!!

Ana & Jeremy

View Profile of tongahut Send a personal message to tongahut  Email tongahut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-24 9:59 pm   Permalink

Hi Tongahut, you can post this in Tiki events under California as well.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-25 06:46 am   Permalink

See you tonight for Cyd's going away party.

GROG(Ernie)

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surfinannie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-02 6:40 pm   Permalink

Just to let you all know a few things about the Tonga Hut. It used to be called "The Brothers Three". The man who bought my parents house in Van Nuys, loved my fathers Tikis and huge Polynesian hut. He bought the "Brothers Three" and changed the name to the "Tonga Hut" and had my father carve all the Tikis, and did all the decorating. My father was Richard M. Ellis. He was taught to carve Tikis in the late 50's by Andy Bumatai (or Andre as most people call him).
My father also carved EVERY Tiki at EVERY Restaurant of Hop Louie's. Including Latitude 20, the "Trade Winds" in Ventura, and MANY others all over the country, AND a fabulous huge carved bar for Hop Louie at his personal residence. Hop Louie, I remember , also had him do many in Las Vegas and other parts of the country. His tikis can be seen also on page 250 of Sven's book "The Book of Tiki". The mug was made after one of his tiki's also, even though we have seen it on ebay as an Andre Bumatai Mug...NO, it is a Richard Ellis mug!!. My mother still has the Tiki on the left of the three pictures on that page, at her house in Malibu, CA. He was dad's FIRST big Tiki, and his name is "The Silent Man", and is still in perfect condition. I have the original artical that Sven got those pictures from but he mistakingly thought they were Bumatai's.(Sven and I have talked about this, and he says in his next book, he will get a section on my dad) The gate with the half Logs Tikis, as they called them, were actually the gates of our old house and our front yard, which brings us back to the guy who bought the "Three Brothers" and changed it to "The Tonga Hut", as he bought that house from my parents! I was lucky enough to get two large tikis of my dad's, that some one had bought from the "Trade Winds" when it closed. I bought them from the guy 3 years ago, and they are home in Malibu again, and in perfect condition!Others we had were not so lucky, like the big one I got back from the "Tonga Lei"(Malibu) when they tore it down. The termites got that one quick. As soon as I get more time I will write you all some great stories about Andy Bumatai, and my father Richard M. Ellis. I am getting more and more info. from my mom. I also will figure out how to send you all photos, so you can see more of his tiki's. My father passed away in 99.My mom has now visited Tiki Central, and has remarked how she would love for people to know who carved all these huge Tikis all around California. I am now on a mission to get the info. together, as I have had many people interested in my father's story. The LATimes did a huge 2 page article on him in the early 60's. Thank you all for your interest, he was a fabulous man!!!Annie Ellis

View Profile of Surfinannie Send a personal message to Surfinannie  Email Surfinannie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-02 10:01 pm   Permalink

Wonderful info.... WOW.

Glad that you found us and posted.

Looking forward to seeing the images you mention.

Exciting.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 8:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-24 21:59, hiltiki wrote:
Hi Tongahut, you can post this in Tiki events under California as well.

I've already done that for them. I am going to be deejaying that night and I hope a lot of people can make it!

PS: Annie, very cool story about your dad!

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAMAKOONGA
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-04 11:49 am   Permalink

Come visit me at the Tonga Hut!

I'll be your bartendress on this Exciting Occasion

Saturday Night Exotic Lounge Event
for
Tiki Central Folks and Friends

LIVE @

The TONGA HUT
12808 Victory Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
(818) 769-0708

July 8, 2006

Saturday Night

8pm-2am

Yes...Your Bartender Kamala will make your delicious exotic cocktails, Trader Rick will be spinning sweet sounds from Tropical Places...exotica, surf, lounge, and more! Wear your Hawaiian shirts, fresh flowers, Tiki necklaces, and "all things Tiki."

MAP:
http://maps.citysearch.com/location/325813?

http://myspace.com/tongahut

See you there.

Mahalo,
KAMAKOONGA

[ This Message was edited by: KAMAKOONGA 2006-07-04 11:50 ]

View Profile of KAMAKOONGA Send a personal message to KAMAKOONGA  Goto the website of KAMAKOONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tongahut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-04 8:53 pm   Permalink

Surfinannie,

We can't wait to hear more about your father and any other history you have about the Tonga Hut. So glad you found us. We'll stay tuned...

Ana & Jeremy
Tonga Hut Owners

View Profile of tongahut Send a personal message to tongahut  Email tongahut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tongahut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-09 1:54 pm   Permalink

Thank you to everyone who came out to the TC Party at Tonga Hut last night both lurkers and posters alike!! It was a very fun time and it was great meeting all of you. Thanks to Trader Rick for spinning such great music! He really helped set the tone for a great gathering. By the way, if anyone has a photo of Wolfe and the gang doing the "Tonga Line", I'd love to have a copy to post on our myspace page. I hope you all liked what we did with the place and we hope to see you back really soon!!

Mahalo!

Ana aka Mulatiki
Jeremy aka TikiHowlie

tongahut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-09 1:54 pm   Permalink

Thank you to everyone who came out to the TC Party at Tonga Hut last night both lurkers and posters alike!! It was a very fun time and it was great meeting all of you. Thanks to Trader Rick for spinning such great music! He really helped set the tone for a great gathering. By the way, if anyone has a photo of Wolfe and the gang doing the "Tonga Line", I'd love to have a copy to post on our myspace page. I hope you all liked what we did with the place and we hope to see you back really soon!!

Mahalo!

Ana aka Mulatiki
Jeremy aka TikiHowlie

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-09 7:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ana and Jeremy for a fun time and tasty drinks.
The DJ was most excellent playing some really nice
tunes. Looking forward to dropping by again, soon.

GROG

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tongahut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-15 9:38 pm   Permalink

Saturday Night~Exotica Lounge

9pm-2am

DJ TRADER RICK will spin exotic tunes from Surf, Exotica, Lounge, Rockabilly, and more...

Get yourself ready for a magical Mai Tai, a venturesome Voodoo Juice, a titillating Tonga Tea, or something straight up like a Kamala-Kazi!

http://myspace.com/tongahut

See you there.

Mahalo,
Ana aka Mulatiki
Jeremy aka TikiHowlie

TONGA HUT
12808 Victory Blvd at Coldwater Canyon Ave
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
(818) 769-0708

[ This Message was edited by: tongahut 2006-07-15 21:39 ]

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-16 11:40 am   Permalink

Nice Myspace page.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAMAKOONGA
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-22 09:40 am   Permalink

If you any of you are going to the Tiki Luau Night at the Egyptian Movie Palace July 23rd, 2006, then you should come on up Saturday Night (22nd) to the Tonga Hut, North Hollywood's oldest Tiki Bar (1958).

Have you heard DJ Trader Rick Spin his Exotic Lounge Set yet???? Well, he is shaken up the TIKI scene with his sweet Lounge, sultry Exotica, wailing Surf, and more...

See you there!!!

Your Bartendress,
Kamakoonga

View Profile of KAMAKOONGA Send a personal message to KAMAKOONGA  Goto the website of KAMAKOONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAMAKOONGA
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-27 11:18 am   Permalink

Calling all tiki freaks...where are you?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation