FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
KAMAKOONGA
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-02 09:45 am   Permalink

Ooooh a whole lotta pirates came in last Saturday! Arrrgggh. They left a gun and a patch, but no booty! Too bad you missed the pirate party, Hopefully you won't miss our next party...

See you there TC folks!

Mahalo,
Kamakoonga

View Profile of KAMAKOONGA Send a personal message to KAMAKOONGA  Goto the website of KAMAKOONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAMAKOONGA
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-11 11:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-02 18:40, Surfinannie wrote:
Just to let you all know a few things about the Tonga Hut. It used to be called "The Brothers Three". The man who bought my parents house in Van Nuys, loved my fathers Tikis and huge Polynesian hut. He bought the "Brothers Three" and changed the name to the "Tonga Hut" and had my father carve all the Tikis, and did all the decorating. My father was Richard M. Ellis. He was taught to carve Tikis in the late 50's by Andy Bumatai (or Andre as most people call him).
My father also carved EVERY Tiki at EVERY Restaurant of Hop Louie's. Including Latitude 20, the "Trade Winds" in Ventura, and MANY others all over the country, AND a fabulous huge carved bar for Hop Louie at his personal residence. Hop Louie, I remember , also had him do many in Las Vegas and other parts of the country. His tikis can be seen also on page 250 of Sven's book "The Book of Tiki". The mug was made after one of his tiki's also, even though we have seen it on ebay as an Andre Bumatai Mug...NO, it is a Richard Ellis mug!!. My mother still has the Tiki on the left of the three pictures on that page, at her house in Malibu, CA. He was dad's FIRST big Tiki, and his name is "The Silent Man", and is still in perfect condition. I have the original artical that Sven got those pictures from but he mistakingly thought they were Bumatai's.(Sven and I have talked about this, and he says in his next book, he will get a section on my dad) The gate with the half Logs Tikis, as they called them, were actually the gates of our old house and our front yard, which brings us back to the guy who bought the "Three Brothers" and changed it to "The Tonga Hut", as he bought that house from my parents! I was lucky enough to get two large tikis of my dad's, that some one had bought from the "Trade Winds" when it closed. I bought them from the guy 3 years ago, and they are home in Malibu again, and in perfect condition!Others we had were not so lucky, like the big one I got back from the "Tonga Lei"(Malibu) when they tore it down. The termites got that one quick. As soon as I get more time I will write you all some great stories about Andy Bumatai, and my father Richard M. Ellis. I am getting more and more info. from my mom. I also will figure out how to send you all photos, so you can see more of his tiki's. My father passed away in 99.My mom has now visited Tiki Central, and has remarked how she would love for people to know who carved all these huge Tikis all around California. I am now on a mission to get the info. together, as I have had many people interested in my father's story. The LATimes did a huge 2 page article on him in the early 60's. Thank you all for your interest, he was a fabulous man!!!Annie Ellis

Wow! That is a great story! I'd love for you to stop by the Tonga for a drink, I'll buy you one...

View Profile of KAMAKOONGA Send a personal message to KAMAKOONGA  Goto the website of KAMAKOONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAMAKOONGA
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-15 09:04 am   Permalink

Angel City Derby Girls will be having their Freaky Tiki Throwdown this Saturday come check it out!

AFTER PARTY @ the TONGA HUT

Angel City Derby Girls vs. Central Coast Roller Girls AUG.19

SATURDAY, AUGUST 19TH!

FREAKY TIKI THROWDOWN!

7:00pm
Gates at 6:00 pm

North Hollywood YMCA Hockey Rink

5142 Tujunga Ave. North Hollyood, 91601

**PLEASE NOTE: The rink is in the park, enter just off I-170 and Magnolia exit,
around the corner from the YMCA address***Going North on the 170 exit Magnolia make a RIGHT then a Quick LEFT into the 1st Park Parkiing Lot!!! If you passe the LIBRARY on the corner of Magnolia and Tujunga you WENT TOO FAR. (extra parking on the Chandler Blvd side of the park)

Google Maps is your friend (not exact due to location in PARK)
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=5142+Tujunga+Ave,+North+Hollywood,+CA+91601

Price: $10

Kids under 10 get in free

BUY YOUR TICKETS EARLY!

Click on this link to purchase NOW!
http://www.angelcityderby.com/

*Ticket aslo available at the TONGA HUT (where the after party will be going on)

BOUT AFTER PARTY 9:30pm-2am
at the
TONGA HUT

Saturday Night Exotic Lounge FREAKY TIKI After Party

LIVE @

The TONGA HUT
12808 Victory Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
(818) 769-0708

Trader Rick will be spinning sweet sounds from Tropical Places...exotica, surf, lounge, and more! Splash of Punk, Rock, and Rockabilly will also be enjoyed!

MAP:
http://maps.citysearch.com/location/325813?

http://myspace.com/tongahut

[ This Message was edited by: KAMAKOONGA 2006-08-15 09:07 ]

KamiKoonga

Posted: 2006-08-19 09:16 am   Permalink

The Freaky Tiki Throwdown is TODAY, Aug. 19th! Don't miss it!!!

View Profile of KamiKoonga Send a personal message to KamiKoonga  Goto the website of KamiKoonga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-10 06:53 am   Permalink

Mahalo, Jeremy, for the incredible changes you have brought to the Tonga Hut.
I am astounded at the night and day transformation:

1. the sublime beauty of water running from the fountains and the sound of the water.
2. the lighting of the outrigger boat, behind the bar.
3. The dramatic tapa cloth in its frame.
4. The rightful rehanging of the Map of the Kingdom of Tonga.
5. The display cases featuring tiki artifacts
6. The hawaiian and mayan masks.
7. The framed bamboo and tropical foilage prints, again nicely framed and nicely lit.
8. The absence of the numerous televisions.
9. The placement of the dartboard in a tiki hut.
10. Tiki mugs.
11. The palapa over the back entrance.
12. The expanded tiki drink menu.
13. The tiki grotto.

Mahalo for your investment in our tiki happiness!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 3:26 pm   Permalink

Checked out the Angel City Derby Girls scrim in North Hollywood yesterday. Unlike the original roller derby, this sport is real competition. The theme was trailer park. It was a blast to watch them scrim and then onto the Tonga Hut to party. The Angels want to invite TC members to the meet this November in LA, I will get the details and post them.
The photos are of of the miniature next door at the Roundhouse model train store (notice the shoot out taking place)approriate for LA don't you think?. Jeremy the owner of the Tonga Hut, filled me in on some of his future plans for the place. He and Ana have some interesting ideas. He is open to advice and wants to hear from everyone in TC especially. He wanted me to say hi to Hanford but I never met you myself, so hi from Jeremy and Ana and me. Its nice that the Tonga map is up again and the waterfall looks cool. Nice vibes in the place but the music still needs help. Then again, maybe I'm too old to appreciate what they had on. A good time was had by all. Thanks Angels for a great scrim.
Ojaitimo

Here are a few pics from yesterday.

[ This Message was edited by: ojaitimo 2006-09-20 10:27 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-03 8:11 pm   Permalink

Tonite was our first time in the tonga hut, what a suprise!. Great drinks, cool folks and awesome decore. I think the tikibar review guy painted such a sad picture of the place that we never bothered to check it out......I am such a dumbass!.

[ This Message was edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-01-08 04:27 ]

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 4:10 pm   Permalink

Get the whole story before you call someone a dumbass on a public forum.

The Tonga Hut was indeed a complete dump when I visited years ago, and when I composed the opinion you have read. I stand by it.

The current owners, Ana Reyes and Jeremy Fleener, have only had the Tonga Hut since November of 2005, and have done very, very good things with it since then. I visited Tonga Hut less than a month ago and spoke with Jeremy and Ana for quite a while.

My updated take on the place (which will be in print in April of 2007) will fully reflect the new owner's enthusiasm and hard work.

Don't blame me for the fact that it WAS a shithole five years ago when I last visited.
I call 'em as I see 'em.
Get in your time machine, go back to 2001, and tell me I was wrong about what Tonga Hut was like *at that time*.

I wish I could update my writings in real time, but once things are in print, I can't change 'em. Life goes on, things evolve. Presumably you've read the rest of this thread, and have noted all the changes this place went through, changing owners several times in the past few years.

Didn't that cross your mind before you decided to call me a dumbass?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 12:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2006-12-06 16:10, tikibars wrote:

My updated take on the place (which will be in print in April of 2007) will fully reflect the new owner's enthusiasm and hard work.

EXCELLENT.

2WT: Tikibars is a revered tiki expert and is deserving of utmost respect.
However, such words are not what this board is about - and you should know that.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-27 11:18 am   Permalink

The Tonga Hut is getting better and better. Atomikitty and GROG have organized a few art shows
that were great fun with good friends, and great drinks. Photos by Fank Tiki from Oslo, Norway.

[ This Message was edited by: grog 2007-01-08 09:18 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2006-12-27 11:23 am   Permalink

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2006-12-27 11:30 am   Permalink

And here's the links to see more photos and all the fun that was had.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21873&forum=17&329

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21541&forum=17&91

Atomiktty Coconut Monkey project

Tiki Ice

The Bosko corner

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2006-12-27 11:32 ]

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 7:30 pm   Permalink

Great pictures Grog! Way to go

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2007-01-06 6:37 pm   Permalink

GROG, Kirby, Polly, Squid, Susan, and Cheeky Girl going to Tonga Hut tonight(Saturday, Jan6) for some drinks after dinner about8-8:30 if anybody is out and about and would like to join us.

Ojaitimo-----Not GROG's photos. Stole them off another thread.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2007-01-06 18:39 ]

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 7:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-06 18:37, GROG wrote:
GROG, Kirby, Polly, Squid, Susan, and Cheeky Girl going to Tonga Hut tonight(Saturday, Jan6) for some drinks after dinner about8-8:30 if anybody is out and about and would like to join us.

Ojaitimo-----Not GROG's photos. Stole them off another thread.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2007-01-06 18:39 ]

Is This "GROG'S Coming Out Party???!!!"

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation