FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts rvictor's tiki lab
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
rvictor's tiki lab
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-21 6:17 pm   Permalink

Robert I really like the circles on the back of #7, very interesting look. Sketches are good too, it's nice to see the evolution from the concept to finished mug.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-24 08:54 am   Permalink

Just getting started in ceramics, and in making tiki mugs, I don't have allot of work...I appreciate your visits and kind words as I post the work to date. Having shared this with my family, friends and others in the sculptors workshop, I have received allot of great comments and feedback. Please feel free to leave your comments if you so choose. Any advice, guidance, tips, etc. that I can get will only help me progress faster.

Today I am posting a mug that I am planning on making a mold of. It's one that I promised to make as a gift for the owner of a local tiki bar. I took pictures of the interior of the bar and used a photo of one of the tikis in the bar to do a one-off. The mugs name is Taki Tiki 1. My ceramics instructor saw the mug when I brought it in for firing and she said I should leave it green so that I could make a mold of it. So the plan is to make a mold in January and do 10 artists proofs in different colors. I am really looking forward to it.

First a couple progress photos...the first one is while drying after I hand molded the barrel mug using the picture as a guide. I did a small build up for the frame of the mouth.

After drying I started carving...I have a long way to go to be able to carve with good symmetry. I struggled with this a bit on this one. Of course I didn't want to do an exact replica so I shortened the head and body, elongated the mouth and eyes, and changed the wanky, dinosaur arms. I also wanted the leaves to look more like a skirt. I like the way it came out after making the modifications.

And here are the front and back views after I was done with carving.

Once we get closer to the time we will make the mold, I plan on doing some more finish work. For the time being it is being stored in a plastic bag with a small basin of water in it. Hopefully it doesn't dry out too much. Otherwise I will have to moisten it up and work on it some more to restore the detail.

View Profile of RVICTOR Send a personal message to RVICTOR  Email RVICTOR     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-24 12:12 pm   Permalink

Wow
Very cool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rockydog101
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-25 06:02 am   Permalink

Your mugs are awesome I would buy half of those in a heart beat.

View Profile of rockydog101 Send a personal message to rockydog101      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-25 06:57 am   Permalink

Well done. Check to make sure you have no undercuts. That is where the mold plaster gets in behind clay and then either the mug or the mold breaks when you put them apart. On page one of my thread shows a simple two piece mold. Best wishes, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-02 12:02 pm   Permalink

The second week of November I sculpted a few things outside of class. Short story is my daughter had a jazz concert the day of my weekly sculptors workshop so I took home some clay and worked on my hand sculpting. The following are the rough sculpts of a few things...I took some time to play around and I didn't have a plan to start with like most of the other mugs.

First, a shrunken head mug...

Next, a few skull cups...

And finally, a moai tealight holder...

And another maoi tealight holder, different design...

I will try to post more follow up photos.

View Profile of RVICTOR Send a personal message to RVICTOR  Email RVICTOR     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-12-05 11:20 am   Permalink

Keep those photos coming. You have now taken away my title of "The Machine". I really like that we can recognize classic tikis in your work. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-07 10:05 pm   Permalink

Photos of the fired skull cups...

And some of the fired shrunken head mug....post carving

Got some glazes for home now...so I can glaze outside of the sculptors workshop class hours.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-08 08:41 am   Permalink

Very kool......

Love da Moai

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-08 11:20 am   Permalink

Hang10 - thanks, I wasn't sure if anyone would like the moai or not. I can't wait until I get some more techniques under my belt as I have allot of moai drawings that I would love to turn into mugs.

Here are a few photos of one of the moai tealight holders after carving was done...

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-08 12:07 pm   Permalink

Killer.....

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-12-09 7:33 pm   Permalink

Very cool, Wendy

RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-10 06:19 am   Permalink

Mug #5 - I applied two more coats of the glaze and fired it again. The glaze was a Duncan Carribean Blue IN 1015 and I think it has a thin appearance. If I were doing this again, I would probably use 5 coats to start with.

I could probably go through the effort of one more round of glazing...what do you think? Reapply or stop flogging a dead horse and move on?

Mug #6 (I made a mistake and called it #7 earlier...If I just stuck to naming them I probably wouldn't get as confused)
I did the spots and interior in a pumpkin orange and then did a wipe-off technique with clear black. I like the direction this one took so I think that I am done with it unless someone advises me otherwise.

Wendy and Hang10 - thanks for your encouragement. I do appreciate it.

Wendy - You will always hold the title of "the Machine"...I can't keep up with you. You and Dan have the system...I've seen your posts. I am just another newbee learning the skills. I also finally put two and two together on "Dan's" mug collection (read tiki magazine article and didn't realize it was the collection featured-duh moment). At some point your collection will need a museum built in it's honor. Love it.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-12-10 07:18 am   Permalink

RVICTOR thank you for the comments. The house is a museum because everything has been displayed and perfectly arraigned by Dan. I don't touch his tikis! We have fun having an open house at the Sacramento Tiki Crawl aka Cap City Crawl. It's always fun getting together with all the tiki peeps.

I would glaze the Caribbean Blue mug again but you don't have to glaze the entire mug. To do a flat surface without texture using a Duncan Concepts glaze works well. It is an underglaze (which means it will not run) but it is special in that it also fires to a gloss finish. Other underglazes have to have a couple of layers of gloss put over them. The best is Duncan's Brilliant. The other clear glaze they have which is pale blue green in the jar makes underglazes run. I ruined some Bob's when it made the black eyes run down the white face. The Brilliant clear has never done that.

Cheers, Wendy

RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-11 08:26 am   Permalink

Wendy - Tell Dan that he's got an amazing collection and that he shouldn't be surprised if someone approaches him some day about doing an exhibit. Who knows, they may build a museum in it's honor. A very impressive collection that we can all appreciate.

I appreciate the advice and will make another run down to Seattle Pottery Supply over the Christmas break for the Concepts glazes. I am hoping to have some down time then and be able to get to some more carving and glazing. My wife Tammy built two more barrels for me in class last night, so I will be able to complete the series of 10 barrel mugs (my goal) and move onto the volcano bowl that we have been designing/planning.

While I am responding, I figure that I might as well post pictures of what I had in mind for the WISH LIST mug...

So my wife and I are into midcentury modern and she commented about a tiki bob that she liked that was made by bosko. Something like this would be nice if you can do it...

I recognize that you will be working from a mold, so there may be some challenges. If you don't feel comfortable going in this direction, we can come up with another idea easy enough.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation