FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts rvictor's tiki lab
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
rvictor's tiki lab
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-02 8:52 pm   Permalink

Super cool photo. Nice to be able to picture you as we correspond. How long did it take to drive from the base to the top of the volcano? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-02 11:54 pm   Permalink

CY & VampiressRN-Thanks, glad you like it. I'm really liking this and feel like I'm continually improving which is good.

Wendy-I think the drive was at least an hour...maybe more like 1-1/2 hours. It doesn't seem like it would be that long but there were so many switchbacks. I will never forget the mad dash up the mountain to see the sunrise. People say its great...and it's hard to imagine that it would live up to all the "you have to do this" hype. However, I was blown away. It was much better than I could have imagined it to be. It's just a surreal place.

We stayed in Pa'ia when we made the trip up...I think that was a really good call in hindsight.

Maui is golden. Can't wait to see the Big Island though.

Much love....RObert

View Profile of RVICTOR Send a personal message to RVICTOR  Email RVICTOR     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-03 08:22 am   Permalink

Great skull
Kool photo havin fun
Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-07 10:03 pm   Permalink

So I got a few things back from the kiln today...Have a lot left in the workflow being processed...but any finished product is cool.

First I want to post some photos of a mug that I posted earlier. This was mug #5 (the Hukilau double sided mug) which i was having some issues glazing. After multiple applications of a glaze that broke too much for my liking, I asked for advice. We suggested that I try the Concepts glazes, so I went and got a color that was very close and applied 3 coats.

Well Wendy, it worked really well and I am really happy with the results. The glaze is now thick and even like I was hoping for. Great advice, your such a pro.

Cool. I'm happy with it now.

Next up was mug #8, the Maori Man mug...I did an undercoat glaze with a black undercoat wipe off for the exterior. The interior is a "Outer Space" Duncan crystal glaze (no pictures of the interior). This was my first attempt at the black wipe off and I like what it looks like. I may end up doing this effect allot as it really enhances the details.

Its funny when I think about it but I can already see my carving changing even as I finish some of these mugs...and how I want to clean up allot of the imperfections as I move along. This is such a hands-on, iterative, learning process...and it's both fun and relaxing, I am starting to wonder why I didn't think of this sooner?

Oh, and I did the wipe off on the shrunken head mug...it came out cool. Cant wait to post pictures when its done....well, time for bed. I guess I have a day job.

View Profile of RVICTOR Send a personal message to RVICTOR  Email RVICTOR     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-08 06:24 am   Permalink

At some point, somewhere I mentioned putting up pictures of my sketchbook...I was drawing using some tiki matchbooks this morning and I thought that I might as well post some stuff from my current sketchbook. Most of my sketchbook is a jumble of studies and original.

Practicing the three Cannibals...

And some moai...

A gecko study...but I removed the big toe.

The Palm Tree...

Random...

Concept for a Tiki Bar Sign...

So...there are some examples...most of the sketches are messy...I don't like erasing for some reason.

RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-15 07:47 am   Permalink

Aloha...hope all is well. Been keeping busy. Currently have one new piece in the works and trying to close out some things in the work flow. Our class is going to be giving us assignments for the new year like masks and mold making (can't wait). I just can't wait to make my first mold. Any suggestions of important things / key tips to remember that will save me pain and heartache with regards to mold making???

Wendy - I have looked over your posts and appreciate all that I have been able to gleam from them, which was surprisingly quite allot. You take impressively good notes and I bet you were a great student.

Last night I picked up all work I did over Christmas break from firing. There was allot of bisque...but a few glazed pieces arrived at the end of the line (well...IMHO anyways). I logged on this morning to share them with you...I'll have to be brief as I have to make my way to work soon.

First up...the skull cups.

Then mug #9. I have been calling this one the "Zelda" mug as my kids think it looks like one of the video game characters. I did this one in a Duncan Courtyard Mediterranean Olive color. I like the way that the glaze looks...breaks and all and it feels really good in your hand. Not too smooth and not rough at all.

The shrunken head mug came out really cool I think. One of the artists in my class liked it allot, and there were a few people checking out my work going in for firing that said they liked it allot too. Hope you all like it as well. It came out better than I imagined it would when I carved it. It also has a reservoir within the mug to hold 151 so that you can light the front of it on fire. I can't wait to put a drink in it and take some photos.

One last thing...the work in progress I mentioned...here is the rough sculpt. I will be working on more over the coming days to practice better finish work.

Thanks for taking the time to view the post. Suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Aloha!

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-15 08:10 am   Permalink

Very cool work RVICTOR!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-15 09:29 am   Permalink

You do both clay and drawing exceptionally well. I'm impressed. I'm glad to help but already I can't remember what I told you. I did just post a message on the Swap page about your glaze skip. You are progressing so fast with so much style. I think it will be fun when you come up with your own cannibal mugs.

I could just tell that as Joniece Frank of Frankoma Pottery says, you have the joy of clay within you. It never goes away.

I really enjoy watching your work, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-16 08:27 am   Permalink

CY-Thanks...glad you like it and I appreciate your words. Keeps me going.

Wendy - Cannibal mugs? Your referring to the standard three Tahitian Cannibals (Mai-Kai, Bosko, Geckoz, etc.) right?

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-16 08:38 am   Permalink

Wow
Great stuff
Dig the cannibal drawings and shrunken head looks sweet......

Keep it up bruddah

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-17 9:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks hang10...

Logging on to post some updated Volcano Mug Photos.

Taking this one to work...I mean who has anything like this at work? No one in my office.

I'm right handed and drink my coffee pretty fast...so, as you can kind of see from the second photo, I made it like a pitcher so I can throw down the java. We'll see if it works as intended.

kind of played around with the trees. I think I will sketch them out a bit between now and the next time I carve them so that they look more natural.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-21 10:51 am   Permalink

RVICTOR I feel this odd connection to you. Dan asks me to make a mug with a handle and before I even consider it you have done it to perfection. This has happened a couple of times now. Weird.

The box with the mug and goodies came and I gave all but the mug to Dan. He's worked them into his collection.

I didn't let him see the mug because that will be a special gift for him when it arrives. Thank you so very much. You are a terrific artist and our mug is perfect. One day when it's glazed in his favorite colors I'll post it. Months off right now.

Cheers, Wendy

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-21 12:34 pm   Permalink

I like that volcano beer stein (or coffee cup), very cool! And the shrunken head turned out great too

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-21 10:23 pm   Permalink

Wendy & Dan - Thanks for posting and letting me know you got the mug. It was nice to see the pictures. You both are very caring people and I am glad to have run into you. Maybe the connection was supposed to happen for some reason. Maybe we can collaborate on something in the future? Sounds like fun to me.

Maddog-glad you like it!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-21 10:36 pm   Permalink

Killer mug
Cheers

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation