FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts rvictor's tiki lab
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
rvictor's tiki lab
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-22 05:54 am   Permalink

Wanna see something cool?

Finally...some additional mug and art supply storage...thanks to craigslist.

Hang10 - thanks for the compliment.

View Profile of RVICTOR Send a personal message to RVICTOR  Email RVICTOR     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-28 6:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha. Been a few days since I posted last...and right now we are working on making clay faces in the potters workshop. At this point my face is looking something like either Zeus or Christopher Walken. I'm not sure...but either way its starting to creep me out. Maybe if I tweak it a bit it'll look a little less serious.

I am exploring doing small scene carvings...I eventually would like to get to the point where I do something like Crazy Al's Kona Club mug. I think that one is one of the best ever made.

So I made a few small carvings based on a series of sketches I had in my sketchbook...nothing too fancy cause they would be too hard for me to carve.

The first couple look like this....

View Profile of RVICTOR Send a personal message to RVICTOR  Email RVICTOR     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-28 6:10 pm   Permalink

Same picture twice...oops.

The other like this...

The idea is to make little pendants to wear that have beach scenes...so you can take the beach with you wherever you go.

Mahalo.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-28 6:15 pm   Permalink

I can see that in an eight by ten wall hanging. Very nice.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-28 7:42 pm   Permalink

I just did almost the exact same thing last week.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-28 8:40 pm   Permalink

We have our first collaboration coming up when I glaze the mug you made for Dan.

Everything you do turns out so well. I've done a whole series of life size heads from different countries. I'll be really interested in seeing yours. C. W. did grow into a scary man.

The necklaces are great. I'll have to check out Dawn's creations too.

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-30 11:08 am   Permalink

Hiltiki - Thank you. I will definitely think about trying it out on a larger scale.

Sophistatiki - Love to see what you are referring to. BTW - My wife is the one who ordered the Kauai Riviera in blue ciracao around Christmas time. We live local in Lynnwood. Thanks for the painting...I found a really cool frame for it and it's displayed on the new hutch in the dining room. I'll post a photo sometime soon.

Wendy Bird - I guess your right about our first collaboration. At your request I'm posting the pictures of the head carving. I took some artistic license in class on Wednesday after the teacher started talking about making hair...I turned Christopher Walken into a Mid-40's farm-to-table small business owner...something like you would see in Portlandia.

Actually...I think the most interesting part of making the face was how we stabilized it so that we could shape it. There was a half moon brow piece, two balls under the eyeballs and a bridge down the middle between the brow and the chin. This was all covered with plastic before laying the skin over the top and building up the facial areas. Interesting process...I wonder if it will work for tiki masks?

Also, I figured I could post some progress photos of some mugs...

Here are progress photos of the Shrunken Skull Tribute Mug...It's just underglazes and I am currently planning to cover it with clear gloss so that the orange and yellows stand out a little more.

...and the Bosko Tribute Mug after the second layer of glaze was applied. I decided to do this in Moonstone grey with black wipe-off. Not sure exactly why but I like this color combination.

Again, Mahalo for looking.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-30 11:32 am   Permalink

Really like the Bosko mug.
Great job!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-30 11:51 am   Permalink

I sent you a PM

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-02-05 10:40 am   Permalink

Wow you've been busy. I didn't know you were taking a class. When I made all my life sized masks I found a vintage Fostoria Americana bowl that was the perfect shape. I covered it with paper towels that I rolled for a basic face shape and then taped them down and kept a layer of plastic wrap on it that help to keep the clay from sticking to this base. We all have our learned techniques.

Good job on all your projects. I give you a "like" a thumbs up and a Cheer to continue, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-06 05:21 am   Permalink

Wendy--the mask support you spoke about seems like a better idea if you were to produce several. I like it. I also appreciate your support. BTW-I may have called it a class but it's somewhat informal (no curriculum, no start/end, but we do get assignments if we want to learn) so they call it a "workshop"...but for me it's like a class cause there is someone there advising me as I go. Here name is Janet Stills and she's a pretty great ceramics artist in Edmonds, WA.

The mask was on of those assignments...next is mold making. Can you tell I can't wait?

I also have a few projects I will be working on after the mold making. I've agreed with someone to make a custom mug...you'll figure out who it is once I get started....it'll be a dead give away. I've come up with a few sketches and have figured out what i'm going to use as a mold so far. Need to refine my working drawing...looking forward to it.

I have been going off on the diorama beach scenes lately....just kind of and off-shoot of my drawing studies...I'm really focusing on the drawing allot lately as it seems to be getting much better much faster than I expected it too. Allot can be said about practicing every day but it just can't be stressed enough...the daily practice has sort of an accelerating effect I think...

I'm also currently developing an idea for some pendants (to wear) that I am really having fun with right now. Sometimes the ideas flow too fast and I can't keep up with all of it. Sometimes I'm structured in my work and sometimes I go all organic to see what comes out. I think that I could really be an artist full time because I would work at it really hard.

Well...enough talking "pontificus"...I will promise to post more photos soon.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-02-06 10:40 am   Permalink

Wonderful projects. I'm going to have fun thinking about who that person could be. Enjoy the clay life, Wendy

RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-07 11:41 am   Permalink

Wendy--the mask support you spoke about seems like a better idea if you were to produce several. I like it. I also appreciate your support. BTW-I may have called it a class but it's somewhat informal (no curriculum, no start/end, but we do get assignments if we want to learn) so they call it a "workshop"...but for me it's like a class cause there is someone there advising me as I go. Here name is Janet Stills and she's a pretty great ceramics artist in Edmonds, WA.

The mask was on of those assignments...next is mold making. Can you tell I can't wait?

I also have a few projects I will be working on after the mold making. I've agreed with someone to make a custom mug...you'll figure out who it is once I get started....it'll be a dead give away. I've come up with a few sketches and have figured out what i'm going to use as a mold so far. Need to refine my working drawing...looking forward to it.

I have been going off on the diorama beach scenes lately....just kind of and off-shoot of my drawing studies...I'm really focusing on the drawing allot lately as it seems to be getting much better much faster than I expected it too. Allot can be said about practicing every day but it just can't be stressed enough...the daily practice has sort of an accelerating effect I think...

I'm also currently developing an idea for some pendants (to wear) that I am really having fun with right now. Sometimes the ideas flow too fast and I can't keep up with all of it. Sometimes I'm structured in my work and sometimes I go all organic to see what comes out. I think that I could really be an artist full time because I would work at it really hard.

Well...enough talking "pontificus"...I will promise to post more photos soon.

RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-09 04:33 am   Permalink

Aloha once again...it's been a while since I have posted any photos...been working on my sketchbook...and figured I would post some more photos from that today.

A few from my practice of village scenes...I've been working on these allot lately.

A few tiki sketches...almost to the end of book 3...Next time I should use a bigger sketchbook...but I am pretty attached to the small travel size (take with me). This is a drawing that I did when I was listening to a music program at school (when my kids weren't the one's playing that is).

A couple quick sketches...searching for my own individual style.

Working on tikis and scene composition right now...need to work on drawing plants. Please feel free to post photos of or links to other peoples work that you may like...where you feel they have either good composition, or similar style, or draw something in particular really well (for example plants, huts, backgrounds, etc.). I think that an important part of studying is what tips you can learn from others, so whatever you can add is much appreciated.

Oh, and I apologize for the duplicate post...does anyone know how to erase them?

Will post more as time allows...life is getting in the way of art...but I still l carve out the time.

Mahalo.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-09 05:15 am   Permalink

awesome sketches, rvictor! I think you have a distinctive style already. Love the tropical plants you did. those are really cool.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation