FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)
BryanDeanMartin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-08 9:36 pm   Permalink

Well, damn. I had my hopes up when I drove by and saw the renovation sign, but none of this is sounding positive.

At least there's light at the end of the tunnel for Sam's Seafood.

View Profile of BryanDeanMartin Send a personal message to BryanDeanMartin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-09 1:30 pm   Permalink

Has ANYONE got any updates to this--is it COMPLETELY defunct? That was one of my ALL-TIME FAVES --and the lapu-lapu is a LEGENDARY intoxicant --what has replaced it? or did they DOZE it and put in some new craptastic kind of CA trough?

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-11 9:05 pm   Permalink

You Asked for It You Got It.....

Lapu Lapu's: Too Much OJ & Passion Fruit Mix
Only Remaining Tiki's: 2 Infront by the Sign and on the Inside/Outside of the Door
Food: Mediocre/Increased Prices $$
Music: Traditional Hawaiian until 7pm then Hip Hop Beebop

CAUTION: Not for the WEAK at Heart

It's time to pull the cord and let the Memory and Spirit of The Royal Hawaiian R.I.P

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 05:49 am   Permalink

Ohhhhh the agony!

Glad I made it out there before this travesty. On the bright side at least there something left, they could have put up another damn Walgreens instead.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 1:10 pm   Permalink

Good Lord.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 1:47 pm   Permalink

The little tiki garden is gone! I can't believe it! Arrrrgh!
At least Sam's is coming back!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 4:40 pm   Permalink

I give it six months.

Bastards

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-14 9:29 pm   Permalink

Here's what's left of the Diorama:

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:16 pm   Permalink

THAT'S FUCKED UP!!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 2:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-14 22:16, RevBambooBen wrote:
THAT'S FUCKED UP!!!!

Damn straight!
I remember the first time I ever went in there. I saw the little tiki garden out there and thought hey, this is a nice place. Just what I've been looking for. The Missus and I went back a couple of times. Good times. Sniff.......

[ This Message was edited by: TikiJosh 2007-03-15 14:48 ]

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 9:48 pm   Permalink

Look again at the before and after photos.
I'm still pissed off!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 10:17 pm   Permalink

Every summer it was our ritual to go see the Laguna Sawdust Festival, the Koi Pond store (a really cool place) and end up at the beach right below the Royal Hawaiian. We'd go snorkling at the cove, shell hunting, make a sand castle, and get generally famished by sunset.

Then we'd just go up to the RH in our bathing suits and sometimes change in the bathrooms upstairs, sometimes just sit there drying off at the tables. And we'd pig out at unbelievably cheap prices. We've taken friends from Canada there, sat swilling blue drinks in soaking wet clothes and waiting for the shrimp and ribs to arrive.

Every single person around us was a return customer, the older ones had been coming since the '60s. Elizabeth Taylor's parents ran an art gallery a block away. Wyland got started a half block from that. Some of the really old customers remembered their parents (!) going surfing there in the 1920's. We honeymooned at the Eiler Inn, 5 minutes away.

So I'm really really sad, but we knew that special places are here for a very short time. The Royal Hawaiian lasted longer than any, but better that it's really screwed up than just watered down. Better dead than wheezing.

So bid goodbye, or rather Aloha, to our friends and golden memories at the Royal. That island has sunk slowly to the horizon, the oceans of change have finally washed it away.

I'm gonna have a drink. Hey, why doesn't somebody invent a new drink called the ROYAL HAWAIIAN????

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ForedeckApe

Posted: 2007-04-21 11:22 am   Permalink

We made our annual stop at RH last night. Reading this forum, I was a bit worried of what we would find, but we gave it a try. I am not sure that all is lost.

First, it is a construction zone. With the cold weather, it was a tad chilly inside. From an engineer and former brewpub owner's eye, it looks like the new owners are having to update to meet some of the building and fire codes that have come into place since the original structure was opened. The wheelchair ramp out front for the ADA is changing the front. It looks like the brick wall coverings are brick to meet the flame spread code that the Station fire showed us the importance of. I imagine UL listed palm mat wallpaper is dear to be found. Given that they are operating during construction, I'd say they are working on a shoestring budget and are doing the best they can given they are at the mercy of the city officials who have to work within national safety codes that where written to turn the world into malls mini-marts and TGIFrigdays. The non-fire rated doors are the originals. I know that having restrooms upstairs can be a problem.

The menu changes removed the lamb chops and the teriyaki steak is now a fillet. Considering the lamb chops were my spouse's destination meal, she grilled the server to make up for it's disappearance. We were assured, the kitchen staff is the same. The veggies on ice are gone, but the salad and dressing are the same. The french onion soup is good, but I can't remember it from before. The ribs are as good as ever.

Bar wise, the Mai Tai are tasty, but weak which I don't think is a change. The lapu-lapu tasted much the same as the Mai Tai. They are of the fruity variety, and didn't seem to have any orgeat in them. At about 8:15, a loud PA system came on in the bar and a voice making an attempt at being a DJ filled the building. The dance music started.

The interesting thing I noticed was the bar was busy with a younger crowd. Some were wearing bits of pyrate clothing. I think pyrate people are close enough to tiki people that this is a good thing and may keep this land mark alive while the building codes take their toll.

View Profile of ForedeckApe Send a personal message to ForedeckApe  Goto the website of ForedeckApe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 9:55 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah...... It's much better now.....
Jerks.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 08:58 am   Permalink

Everytime somebody posts something new to this thread.
I think of the new owner, and say what the Dad on That 70's show says,
"DUMBASSES"

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation