Honor thy Spam
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 09:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

suzywong wrote:
http://www.polyjoes.com/
Polynesian Joe's - 869 Magazine Street - New Orleans
Have only driven by, but perhaps they have a tiki or 2, or not.....

Suzy~
I would guess probably not...

Yeah, they do have "Polynesian" in the name, and after looking at their Photo Gallery, it looks like they have a nicely stacked....er...um...I mean stocked bar, but the bar doesn't seem to look very Polynesian or tropical to me.

Their calendar of events for August & September are only filled with "LA Hardbodies" contests and "Martini Madness"...hardly, or I should say, not very Polynesian to me.

I'm sure the owners won't change anything if they are getting the constant crowd that is pictured in their gallery. It's probably a good Mardi Gras/Girls Gone Wild location.

Stop by next time if you can. Maybe there are some hidden tikis? See if they can mix a Mai Tai. You can report on it in the Locating Tiki Forum. Even a psuedo-tiki location needs a report so any of us traveling know whether or not it's worth the stop.

Good eye though in catching the sign and name while driving by.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 09:44 am   Permalink

What kind of heathen place is this? Drinks served out of plastic cups. Eeee Gads!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 2:21 pm   Permalink

Hi SugarCaddyDaddy,
I noticed those pictures in the photo gallery. I didn't check the schedule, but must confess, I read somewhere they had a a "lingerie night" Shudder.....

Perhaps I will break my Puritanical code and go in one day. Actually, I have heard their ads on the radio. And considering they are in the "Warehou$e District, well, they have sand!!!

Maybe there is a tiny tiki with it's eyes tightly closed facing the wall in protest, waiting to be rescued?

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-04 07:01, suzywong wrote:
http://www.polyjoes.com/
Polynesian Joe's - 869 Magazine Street - New Orleans

You know, between this, Aloha Sharkeez, and that new Tiki Bob's chain, I am going to have to come up with a new ranking on the Tiki Bar Review Pages or future editions of Tiki Road Trip just for these places (get ready for another 80's movie reference) - THE FINGER!

What do we call these places?

Fratiki (Frat - Tiki)?
No, I don't want to sully the holy word Tiki mixing it with the anti-Tiki itself: Frat.

Knuckhead Luau? Too clunky.

Any ideas for a convinient word to clearly classify these places?

Constants:

Girls who shout "woooooooo"! a lot, especially when doing a mostly booze-free shot.

Pineapple and grendine "mai-tais".

Lack of Tikis, few that exist afre colorful and cartoony.
Worse: a "party-animal" tiki mascot.

Techno, hip hop, or classic rock DJ.
dB level above 100 (technical term for: TOO LOUD!).

Bikini contests.

Sticky concrete floors, easily hosed down.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 2:12 pm   Permalink

How about:
Tropnoxious Saloons
Luaud Venues
Hurricane Hell Holes
Imitation Crap Shacks

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 2:16 pm   Permalink

Loser Luaus!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 2:22 pm   Permalink

Since they seem to be populated with the Tappa Tappa Kegga crowd, how about "Griki"?

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 2:53 pm   Permalink

WABETIES
(wah-bee-tees)

"WAnna-BE-TIki-EStablishment"

The sound of this word sounds more like an African word rather than Hawaiian~Polynesian word, but all the more reason why it would be a good name...

African is to Hawaiian~Polynesian as Polynesian Joe's is to The Mai Kai. Each is very distant and non-comparative to one another in every aspect. And one will NEVER be like the other!

Say it with me now...
"WABETIES...WABETIES...WABETIES...WABETIES..."

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation