FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki "The Tikis," Monterey Park, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
"The Tikis," Monterey Park, CA
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-14 08:41 am   Permalink

From the out of print movie "Seven" filmed in Hawaii & The Tikis-Monterey Park. I thought the whole movie was shot in Hawaii until the credits rolled. After watching the movie again, I think that all or most of the dancing/luau scenes were the ones shot at the Tikis.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 9:16 pm   Permalink

For reals? Andy Sidaris was filming down at the bottom of the hill, and I didn't know it? (Well, I would've been about...seven or so!)

It's strange, because late one night in the mid-80's I happened to catch "Seven" on TV, and was agog at what a bizarre, hyper-violent film it was, while also featuring exotic and mysterious locations. I would have been surprised to learn that any scenes might have been shot at The Tikis, definitely.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 6:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-26 04:07, Futura Girl wrote:
The correct Address is 1975 N. Portero Grande Drive. Monterey Park. CA

Directions (taken directly from the matchbook): Off the Pomona Freeway.... From L.A. Take the Garfield Exit | Take the Paramount Blvd. Off ramp North to Arroyo St. Left on Arroyo St. to Portrero Grande to the tikis. (It is shown on the north side of the street on the little map)
the map also indicates it is East of Wilcox and West of Rosemead Blvd. It also indicates that the offramp from the San Bernadino Freeway would be the the San Gabriel Blvd. exit South.

Mahalo for the directions, Futura Girl.
What is there now?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 7:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-05 18:36, christiki295 wrote:
What is there now?

A
strip mall.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-05 19:48, LOL Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-05 18:36, christiki295 wrote:
What is there now?

A strip mall.

As yes, I should have checked the obvious.
At least there is a hula halau and an Ono Grill. I wonder if the hula school is operated by a former dancer at the Tikis, or if the Ono Grill has photos up?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-16 5:28 pm   Permalink

WOW!
Sorry for posting here with nothing substantial about The Tikis, I just wanted to say that this thread is awesome! I entered this thread because it seemed awkward for me that it was in the "general tiki" and not in the "locating tiki" now I understand why...
That place must have been a tiki dream (or nightmare)...
Where's Danny now?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-16 6:23 pm   Permalink

R.I.P. Danny, your dream lives on in the minds of many Tiki revelers.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 12:44 pm   Permalink

I just picked up this postcard from the Tikis that shows the extent of the jungle that enveloped the grounds.

Apparently there was a swan ride!

Close up of the festivities.

What a place.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 1:36 pm   Permalink

Nice, never seen that before! In this case, zooming in did not really provide greater clarity

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 1:50 pm   Permalink

I am blown away that this existed! Why must such amazing places be torn down! This would be such an amazing place if it was still there.. I'd probably go there once or twice a month just for the atmosphere!

DARK&TIKI

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 2:30 pm   Permalink

Wild photos! And here's another memory...not of the place itself (because I never got to actually go in the place) but of a party one of the neighborhood families threw in Monterey Park. I believe it was a birthday party for a kid down the street named Tim. This would have been around 1975-76. The kids in the family were allowed to decorate their backyard for this party, and having seen "The Tikis," they wanted to make their backyard like the nightclub. They had a couple of torches--good for a start. But they were smitten with the canals, the water aspect. So they dug trenches in the earthy areas and filled them with water, and the water quickly soaked into the soil and disappeared. Undaunted, they lined the trenches with aluminum foil to hold the water in. That didn't work either! But a few puddles of water did remain in the foil trenches, so they left those there. When the party guests arrived, the kids explained what they had attempted to do, and I was impressed by their ingenuity. Their decorations still looked cool.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 3:46 pm   Permalink

that's a rad story! sounds like something i wouldve done when i was kid.

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 4:44 pm   Permalink

Here are some more images I snagged from a brochure that sold on ebay a while back.

The description of the whole entry process is really amazing - the banana train, the jungle, the cave, the girls...

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 4:46 pm   Permalink

A-MA-ZING!!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 07:50 am   Permalink

Here is the album cover from Manny Lopez that was shot at the Tikis.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation