FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Resurrection of the Hawaiian Room (Sat., Sept. 20th)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Resurrection of the Hawaiian Room (Sat., Sept. 20th)
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-21 12:42 pm   Permalink

MTK!

A fine job, yes, a fine job indeed! I hope the owners of the Hawaiian Room do appreciate what you did to make everyone aware of its existence. I do believe that some of the regulars from the bar, that probably have never seen more than 10 people there at one time, actually had a good time!

I will say it now, before anyone tries to diss the bartender, (yeah, singular = bartender), that she made an honest effort to keep up with the drinks. She was probably just out of practice on keeping up with a large crowd, since like I said before, there were probably never more than 10 people at one time to handle, in addition to trying to learn a drink menu full of drinks she's never mixed before. It was a learning experience, and I'm sure that's the last of the single bartender for such an event. Kudos to the gentleman who voluntarily acted as barback for MOST OF THE NIGHT! Someone GIVE him a Hawaiian Room Mug!

The Smokin' Menehunes were great to have done 2 sets for the evening's entertainment, along with the hula girls doing their dances! Good job on turning off and hiding all the neon beer signs and games previously exposed. One great touch was keeping "The Claw" game operating, even decorating it with bamboo trim (thanks to TraderPup), and filling it with Coco Joe's souvenirs, Hawaiian Room cozies, packages of stir sticks, plastic crabs, lobsters, etc., for all to have a try at winning a prize! Poor Shelley...wonder if she ever got a prize after all those trys at the game!

The JohnnieVelour bowl display was incredible! Great work! Seamus's concrete tikis were a great addition, along with ChikiTiki's carved tikis. Octane's carved-from-baseball bat's tikis were awesome!

The original Hawaiian Room sign outside of the building said "Cocktails ~ Steaks", and the original grill (still works but isn't part of The Room's current offerings) would have been interesting to see in it's heyday. Does anyone have or know of a picture of this place from days gone by?

I hope to visit this hidden treasure again soon!

Keep me posted on The Hawaiian Room's future, as per our previous conversation.

Mahalo MTKahuna!

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
deadbeat

Posted: 2003-09-21 4:03 pm   Permalink

This was a very fun event. Tiki Central people are very friendly and nice. The turn out was great! This was my first Tiki Central event, and you guys really do a great job! The band was great and the decorations were incredible! Congratulations to all involved. Thanks for the list of Tiki places I should visit in Southern California and cluing me in to Hi Times in Costa Mesa. You guys really go all out! Very cool!

View Profile of deadbeat Send a personal message to deadbeat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-21 4:53 pm   Permalink

MT, the Hawaiian Room was a blast! What a cool place -- I hope to return many times. The Smokin' Menehunes were "smmmmmoooooooooookkkkkkkin'" as usual. Nice to see everyone again. Can't wait til the next shindig!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-09-21 7:38 pm   Permalink

A great time indeed! Mike et al did a fantastic job of dusting that little tiki jem off and dressing her all up for the evening.

We had a great time playing our sets for a very appreciative crowd. I can only wonder when the last time a hapa haole band played that house.

Was great to meet new TC'rs also (see Bong's not a complete a-hole, well... maybe)

Let's plan a gig at this tiki hut again, maybe sometime in the future, eh?

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-09-21 19:39 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-21 10:08 pm   Permalink

What a great place the Hawaiian Room is!! I liked it as much as Sam's. The place was packed with happy tiki people. The Menehunes were wonderful, as usual. Mike, a great idea and great execution.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTimbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-22 01:46 am   Permalink

What a great time we had! The place looked fabulous. Even though it was our first time there, my wife and I felt we could acurately determine the tremendous effort that went into the evening's "facelift". The TikiFarm mug looks great. There was such a concentration of Tiki Central personalities present, that it turned into a nice opportunity to put faces to a lot of names. This was the perfect counter to the long, hot, somewhat stressful day we had at D-land. Just what the (Witch)Doctor ordered. Frijolitos...Sabu, you are one hilarious coconut boy.
TikiTimbo

View Profile of TikiTimbo Send a personal message to TikiTimbo  Email TikiTimbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 4:44 pm   Permalink

How Many TC er's can one bar hold? Or should I say "build it and they will come".

What a night!
The event was packed. Standing, or leaning, room only was the atmosphere for the Kava ceremony/Tiki presentation. The event even had a front row heckler (Loco locals).

I don't think that the HR has had a packed house in years. The bartender tried very hard to accommodate everyone’s needs. Candi (Owner) even got behind the bar to make her own versions of Tropical Drinks (Rum, tequila, pineapple & grenadine = Scorpion).

Many thanks to the hula girls for being sports and performing behind the bar... At least they weren't on the bar... eh?

Tim: I owe you 101 Mai Tais for stepping up to the bar and aiding as a bar back. You da man.

A BIG Mahalo to the crew that helped with the face-lift.

Traderpup: Your handyman skills and tolerance for 30-year-old dust were greatly appreciated. My brother-in-law was very impressed with your kava making skills.

Utopian Dream: Both you and Dave are wonderful. I can't wait to sample the homemade tikibeer. Please keep in touch.

Smoken' Menehunes: To quote my sista's, "Do they have a CD. They are really good"
Good indeed! Thanks for breathing life back into the HR. I am a definite believer.
Bong, Your parents were very proud.

Artist: Crazy Al, Seamus, Octane, ChikiTiki Diablo, Bong Leach Crew & Johnny Velour. You should definitely have a rotating tiki exhibit. Thanks for entrusting me with your art. You are all true braddahs.

TikiFarm (Holden): Thanks for creating such a nice mug. The colors were exactly what I expected. Other than the 2 I have on reserve, We sold out.

TikiCentral Familia: You are the funest-est group of people that I have ever partied with. Thanks for supporting the event.

Hawaiian Room Owners, Candi & Monroe, were ecstatic about having TC er's visit the bar. Monroe told me that he originally bought the bar because he loved the decor.
He is happy to see that the appreciation of tiki is alive and thriving.

I recommended that he keep the front area as "Tikified" as possible, to always have a bottle of Passion Fruit Syrup on hand, and a mixture of Martin Denny & Petty Booka on the Juke. He agreed.

After we uncovered the video games and plugged in the dartboards. I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. The spirit of tiki has defiantly returned to the Hawaiian Room.

Monroe would like to have the group back once a year. He also wants to invite everyone over for Candi's famous Korean Barbeque and Kim Chi.

Needless to say, Tiki Central will always have a home at the Hawaiian Room.

Muy Many Mahalo's
MTKahuna

September 20, 2003 @ 8:00pm
9875 East Alondra
Bellflower, CA 90706

[ This Message was edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-09-22 16:51 ]

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 4:54 pm   Permalink

I feel like we really missed a cool event here. After a sleepless night before and a hectic day at Disney, Mrs. Modmana and I were already burnt out beyond belief. We reluctantly drove back to SD instead of going to the Hawaiian Room but knew we would probably end up regretting it. Even so, we still appreciate what was done there and applaude all who were involved! This is a true example of the spirit of Tiki!

MTKahuna, email me if you still want to work out that deal that we spoke of last week. I've got others who are asking for this stuff so let me know soon. Thanks.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 5:32 pm   Permalink

What a blast! The decor was great! I want to thank MT Kahuna for having our band play and for the free booze. Thank you all for the kind words.

Here are a couple of pics that my girlfriend took of the band and the decor at the Hawaiian Room.

Menehune bass player Miguel, Doctor Z, and the very elusive LAPU ROCKER / Skinny Jim

I think this is about the only wide shot where you can get a little bit of an idea about the inside of the Hawaiian Room featuring Vintage Girl. I was too busy playing to be able to shoot the whole place and all the people that showed up. Maybe someone else took some pics that they'll post.

Bong concentrating on the steel guitar.

Me & Shirley, our ultra talented uke/ guitar/ and conga player. She also plays like, piano, accordion, violin, french horn and all kinds of other instruments like the souzaphone.

Me and my big ol' Gretsch. Ain't she pretty.

What a bunch of fun and a cool idea. Where's the next resurection?

Post more pics.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 8:52 pm   Permalink

Mike, great job! not much else I can say-SCD already hit most of it!

What an amazing place! I'm ready to go back there anytime. Please tell Candi and Monroe we understand about the long wait for drinks, they're only used to sleepy, BEER drinking bar flies. But nest time I'm only waiting 15 minutes before I start crying!!!!
Oh yeah, I don't think Pup chewed the kava long enough, My tongue was only slightly numb? Thanks to everyone involved for the food, music (the Smoken' Menehunes even played my request!), atmosphere and the cheap feel of Floratina.

Spike, Nice shot of my ass- you da man!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 10:05 pm   Permalink

That was you?
I'll slap you later.

[ This Message was edited by: floratina on 2003-09-22 22:07 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 11:51 pm   Permalink

That's the reason I posted it.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-09-23 5:36 pm   Permalink

Menehune bass player Miguel, Doctor Z, and the very elusive LAPU ROCKER / Skinny Jim

Hey, doesn't Lapu Rocker aka Skinny Jim look like Eddie Haskle on 'Leave it To Beaver'?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 7:54 pm   Permalink

What a great little joint! Everyone involved with the resurrection did such a wonderful job. We should definintely bombard that place again. However, we should give them some advance notice, so they can get a little more help behind the bar. Having bartended in the past, my heart did go out to the lone bartender and the poor woman who helped out--wearing the high heels! Ouch!

Noticing the growing crowd around the bar, I’m embarrassed to say that I played it safe and ordered Salty dogs–figured, one type of alcohol, one type of juice, couldn’t go wrong. I think I had about 5 of them, so it might have been me grabbing a couple of asses. Sorry!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDude
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2003-09-23 11:57 pm   Permalink

It was my first Tiki Central event, and my wife and I had a great time.

View Profile of TikiDude Send a personal message to TikiDude  Email TikiDude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation