FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Lanai at Windsong
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Lanai at Windsong
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-05-17 7:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-05-17 13:59, Prikli Pear wrote:
Quote:
I know some folks frown at the inclusion of surfboards in tiki rooms, but we spotted these neat little bamboo cutting boards for cheap, and knew we'd find a use for them.

Surfing was invented by, and practiced throughout Polynesia. Mark Twain watched Hawaiians surfing when he visited the islands. Apologize for nothing, Jeff!

Thanks! That was my understanding, as well. It's also why I've got this picture framed in the tiki bathroom:

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-06-13 10:45 pm   Permalink

Part of the ceiling in our tiki room has been sitting unfinished while I've been tied up with other projects. I had started covering it in random pieces of scrap 2x, but I wanted a little more eye candy up there and I've been waiting for just the right materials.

I really liked the idea of old tin ceiling tiles and was hoping to find some with maybe a pineapple pattern or some other appropriate design. I kept watching eBay but no luck... until I found these!

They're from an old drug store ceiling in Tennessee, and they're full of corrosion:

What you can't see too clearly is the pattern, which resembles a four leaf floral pattern that I've seen in tapa designs. The other side of the tile shows it better:

I gave them the wire brush treatment and sprayed the bad side with rust inhibitor.
And while I like the raw tin finish, I thought it would be worth experimenting with some patina liquid that I had leftover from a copper project. I had no idea what it would do to other types of metals, so I tested it by soaking one of the tiles for a few minutes:

And here's what it looked like afterwards...wow!

The finish was unpredictable, and the liquid seemed to lose its strength as I treated all 18 tiles. But I had just enough liquid to treat them all, and it looked like some sort of funky mining discharge when I was done:

When they were done drying, I gave them a few sprays of clear coat. All in all, I had enough tin tiles to run a double row down the center of the room. The opening you see in the middle is for a wood stove pipe installation that I've been procrastinating for longer than I'd like to admit. (Before next winter, I swear!)

I may fill in the rest of the ceiling with the aforementioned 2x wood scrap pattern and some more bamboo strips, or maybe something else. Not sure just yet...!

Cheers,

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cutcarefullyplayloud
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-14 06:50 am   Permalink

Those tiles are a killer touch!

My girlfriend and I almost bought a similar size home recently with the thought of doing a tiki lanai or shed out back. This is inspiring.

View Profile of Cutcarefullyplayloud Send a personal message to Cutcarefullyplayloud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-14 09:50 am   Permalink

Oh man are those cool. I've always loved tin ceilings. An excellent example of "tiki-adjacent" that works very well in context.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-16 10:21 pm   Permalink

Agree with the sentiments above--those tin tiles are fantastic! The patina came out amazing! It's just astounding how much variation and creativity is alive on this home tiki bar forum!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-06-18 12:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks, tiki friends!

Tin tiles in a tiki room...who knew?

Cheers,

Jeff

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-18 9:02 pm   Permalink

Looks great, nice work.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-18 9:02 pm   Permalink

Looks great, nice work.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation