FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Exotica 2003: pictures!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Exotica 2003: pictures!
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 12:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-27 22:10, tikivixen wrote:
Waahhh. There's a big sob story from me too, involving a sudden downturn in my mum's health, but what I feel worst about is messing up Cynful's plans for a road trip by having to pull out at the last moment.

So, as TC is my witness, I owe her a hell of a consolation present.

Tikivixen,

Don't worry about it too much; you had to take care of your mom! I ended up taking a few shorter roadtrips instead, got a nice long massage in Calistoga (what's the deal with those mud baths, anyway?) and made some great thrift store finds in L.A.

--cyn

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 12:41 am   Permalink

Friday @ the Kona Kai.

Mr and Mrs SuburbanHipster

Don't tell PoweroftheTiki you're out of Mai Tais.

Formikahini and Humuhumu dance away.

Saturday @ Hala Kahiki

The view from my seat @ Hala Kahiki

What I look like begging for a Witco fountain.

Tiki Bree @ the first ever Tiki Central/Exotica Antique Car and Hot Rod Show.

Capt. Dan get his groove on!?

Christopher, Formikahini & PoweroftheTiki pose for a Beatle-esque shot on the way back from Phyllis' Surf Rock Show.

This photo of the "mean" streets of Chicago pretty much sums up how I felt on the flight home.

Thanks again to all the hosts. It was great meeting all the nice people from TC finally. Randy nice talking to you. Alice send me a mailing address. Great show BigBro. Jab and Robin hope the ride home is a good one. Hope to see you all again someday!

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2003-08-28 00:44 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 10:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-27 22:10, tikivixen wrote:
James, if I can find my way to Chicago in the foreseeable future, I still want to see Hala Kahiki. I'm so sorry I couldn't make it!!!

Lisa, I was so bummed that you and Cindy had to bail out of this one.

As soon as you mum is feeling better, you and Cindy can have a raincheck - I'll give you guys the private Tiki tour of all the Chicago hot spots - minus the Kona Kai, of course... not much I can do about getting in there... unless you want to bring a couple of thousand clams with you to rent the room!

Exotica 2003 and a half!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-30 08:34 am   Permalink

I want to thank everyone for a wonderful time my wife and I had at Exotica 2003. The Kona Kai was a delight, the Hala Kahiki was truly incredible and Chef Shangri-La was very cool. Thanks Sven, James, Dave and Amy, Tristan and Bree for a wonderful time. If I knew how to post pictures up I would. They came out great!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
La Tiki Nostra
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-30 12:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha All,
We would like to extend our warmest thanx to all that were able to make Chef
Shangri-La on the final day of Exotica 2003. It was great meeting everyone
and also grand to see some old friends! We hope everyone had fun and came
away with some great memories of the Chicago Tiki Tour. We would especially
like to thank Dave Lawrence, for all his great work in getting the message
out to the masses about our great Tiki here in Chi-Town, (and actually spear
heading the whole Exotica Event). Special thanx to new Mom & Dave's wife
Cindy as well (she has been a Saint). We would also like to thank Duke & Amy
Carter for getting the Marriott to let people in to check out a wonderful
piece of Chicago Tiki history that is "Kona Kai". Also Kudos go out to Capt.
Dan, DSK, Scott, and the rest of the Exotica Guides for all your hard effort
& support!
Mahalo,
Dave & Coalbe Vasta
PS. Thanx also to all that made it out to the All Night Flea Market!

View Profile of La Tiki Nostra Send a personal message to La Tiki Nostra      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-08-30 4:09 pm   Permalink

More pics!

Going back through these some more today, it's fun to think of all the places and people, familiar (Sven, Naomi, Bruce, Dean, Robin, James, Alice, Humu) and new (Turbogod Chris, Duke and Amy, Dave Krys, Purple Jade, Suburban Hipster, and many more). Strange to go to a tiki event with SMALL attendance from CA!

These pics here are from Rockatiki. Coming up soon are my pics from Hala Kahiki and Chef Shangrila and Trader Vics!

Big moai just inside the entrance. I think that's Dave Krys dj-ing.

Mural that greets you on the way to the restroom

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-08-30 4:12 pm   Permalink

Pics from Vics!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-30 10:41 pm   Permalink

Hey Randy,

Great pictures. Keep 'em coming! It was nice to meet you at the Hala Kahiki on Saturday. That place was the absolute highlight of the entire weekend!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-31 10:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-30 22:41, Jeff Central wrote:
...at the Hala Kahiki on Saturday. That place was the absolute highlight of the entire weekend!

The people who run HK were initially a little resistant to the idea of us invading the place with a busload of aloha-shirted freaks, and it took a bit of doing to get Sven's slide show approved as well.

But afterwards, they were delighted, and couldn't wait for us to expand HKs role in Exotica 2004... look forward to it!

...and no one broke their leg there either!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-31 4:53 pm   Permalink

And that's why Hala Kahiki is my FIRST stop next year.

-JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-09-02 3:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jeff - it was fun meeting you too. Another great example of what happens at these tiki events - strike up a conversation with a friendly person at the next table, and learn that you've actually communicated before online!

Here are my photos from Hala Kahiki...

Just inside the entrance

Main bar

Dean and Robin

Naomi consults the menu

The Green Guy

Sven with Witco lamp

Mrsmiley with purplejade, next to the colossal United Air tiki (they had 3 of em)

On the back patio

In the gift shop - see the whole cocojoe shelf

-Randy

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-02 9:13 pm   Permalink

Did anyone take a pic of the rules and regs inside the front hall of the Hala Kahiki? As I recall they were pretty elaborate and worht documenting...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-03 12:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-02 21:13, tikifish wrote:
Did anyone take a pic of the rules and regs inside the front hall of the Hala Kahiki? As I recall they were pretty elaborate and worht documenting...

This is an older pic from Tiki Bar Review Pages.

"Hala Kahiki Rules" - indeed!

It is a bit hard to read, I'll have to rescan it some day (yeah, pre-digital!).

In the past few months, they have finally caved after 35-odd years of strictly serving Tropical Drinks only; they scratched the 'not' out of 'we do not serve beer and wine'.

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-09-04 6:32 pm   Permalink

For those who've been undoubtedly holding their breath, here are my last set of pics from the exotica weekend finally. These are from Chef Shangri-La.

Dave Krys, Laura, and... (I forgot) Gary Sinise?

The Enchanted Witco Shangri-La bar

The ceiling in the bar

Mrsmiley pours a soy sauce cocktail

Formikahini and tiki!

-Randy

boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-04 7:55 pm   Permalink

Damn Randy!
More outstanding photos! We should have asked you to be the official event photographer!
Thanks for taking the time and posting them.

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation