FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Art Swap 2018 - Dream Tiki - Results Posted!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Art Swap 2018 - Dream Tiki - Results Posted!!!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-06-28 10:22 pm   Permalink

We moved into the new house this past weekend (don't ask me about Home Depot screwing up our tile order TWICE and the fact that we are moving into a half tiled house ) Welcome to the "Mud Room" it's a double entendre since it's clay studio with lots of storage on one end and laundry room on the other end, one of the things we really liked about this house. It is also a dumping place for things we haven't figured a place for yet Now to get it cleaned out and set up in time for a dream project.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-29 06:38 am   Permalink

CY- sweet, more Frog Island floats in the making
MDM- that’s a huge room
Or is it?

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-06-30 4:08 pm   Permalink

MadDogMike, which one of you likes Roosevelt? I've never hung a presidents photon in my home.

It's wonderful to see you have a home where your creative nature will take off running. This will be fun to watch. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-07-01 10:02 am   Permalink

Cool idea, CY! I love repurposing vintage/distressed items into art!

Mike, hope you get settled in soon and get that tile project out of the way!

Cheers,

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-07-01 10:31 am   Permalink

I've been super busy lately with other projects, but had some time to work on my weird Attenborough tiki foetus. I studied some pictures here and there, and here's what I've come up with:

I like the idea of this tiki being birthed by the sea, in the same way that Pacific islands are born by volcano. Soooo, I'm feeling inspired by this antique plate of the "Crater of Kilauea" and I'm thinking of incorporating something similar into the design. Maybe my foetus is inside a crater, percolating until he's ripe and ready? Oh, and that's not blood flowing through the umbilical, but lava.

Cheers, Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-02 09:24 am   Permalink

Jon - Actually that room is about 10x20 feet, it's AWESOME!!!!

Wendy - Sorry, no Roosevelt. Jon was referencing an old April Fools prank I pulled several years ago

Quote:

On 2009-04-01 06:36, MadDogMike wrote:
Thank you Sam and Queen KamehamAMY

I have always admired the work of the TC Micro-Masters like Bowana & Benzart - I decided to give it a shot myself. I wanted to make a little Marquesan Tiki Ivi Po'o, so I started with a chicken bone (KFC)

Next, I got a hold of a pair of surgical binocular loupes and a Dremell

After some carving, some wiped-off stain, and some varnish, here's the result, about 1/2 inch diameter and 3/4 inch tall

This was the real piece, I used an oversized dime

Jeff - Looks very cool, your imagination is running overtime!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-02 11:12 am   Permalink

TikiTube- up from the lava tube he comes

Mike

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-02 6:37 pm   Permalink

tikitube that one eye staring at me is made of nightmares. I recognized the umbilical cord so I was happy when you said that was what it is.

MadDogMike you had the Roosevelt Dime from your wall shrunk! Love the bone carving. You totally got me.

It's all looking good. Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2018-07-02 18:38 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-16 5:42 pm   Permalink

About 2 more weeks to the end of the Swap!!! How is it going?

Good news on my end, house tile is FINISHED!!! 1800 square feet of it

Now on to some fun stuff! Leaving this week to go out of the country for a week, hopefully will be able to get'er done before the deadline

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-16 7:13 pm   Permalink

Tile looks good mike
Can’t believe you are giving away a newly tiled dream tiki house for the swap
Very nice of you

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-16 7:28 pm   Permalink

MadDogMike that floor is beautiful.

hang10tiki I love your countdowns, it really builds up the excitement.

Wendy

TravelingJones

Posted: 2018-07-22 10:17 am   Permalink

Regrettably, I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I had a design, tools, and materials, but unfortunately no time. So, I'll be watching from outside the looking glass at your wonderful creations presented at the end of July.

Kindest regards and best wishes to everyone participating in the swap. I look forward to seeing your art!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-22 11:22 am   Permalink

I'm also, sadly, bailing from this one. Too much going on, including a vacation, new dog, work travel, kitchen remodel... and building out a proper tiki bar! (Pics to come on an appropriate thread some day.)

My idea was to build a PNG-style "dream mask" with wooden frame and paper, but it didn't get past the concept stage.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-22 3:43 pm   Permalink

Jeez, well I have some progress, almost finished with my take on Dream Tiki. Instead of catcher eater digester, it's sleeper, dreamer, awoke.
I used cedar floats that have never been in the water.

After some fine tuning I torched them. Something about this ritual is satisfying and I find myself looking forward to it.

The middle one shows what happens after you wire brush them.

Still more to do but getting close.

The backs have a T, C, and 18

Sleeper looks like his is snoring.

I cut the Dreamer all the way through in the eyes.

The wide awake guy.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-22 9:30 pm   Permalink

Wow guys by dropping out you just made it easier on the rest of us to snag art by hang10tiki, CY and all the rest. So while sad it's also going to be OK. I hope you get all your honey dos and project finished soon.

CY that's a wonderful piece. I love seeing the steps. That's a lot of work and it's very much appreciated.

Hugs, Wendy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation