FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Enchanted Tiki Room Anniverary Official Press Release
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Enchanted Tiki Room Anniverary Official Press Release
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-01 1:55 pm   Permalink

Interesting article! I must say those Disney enthusiasts remind me a lot of some of us when it comes to the passion they hold for their love of Disney. I know I'm a passionate enthusiast of tiki myself and can totally relate to the article when it described how the Disneyana's pointed out the parts of the park that weren't part of "Walt's vision." I certainly do the same thing with tiki "outsiders" when I take them to an old Polynesian restaurant.

I agree with Humuhumu when she says, "if I were to start judging who is "off" and who isn't, I'd have to look at myself first, and frankly, I wouldn't pass. I don't think a lot of folks here would, either, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

Funny coincidence -- them Disneyana's hate being compared to Trekkies too!!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-01 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-01 13:55, PolynesianPop wrote:

Funny coincidence -- them Disneyana's hate being compared to Trekkies too!!

ah, will my fellow Trekkies and I forever be shunned by other pop culture junkies?

Quote:

On 2003-10-01 13:55, PolynesianPop wrote:
I know I'm a passionate enthusiast of tiki myself and can totally relate to the article when it described how the Disneyana's pointed out the parts of the park that weren't part of "Walt's vision."

I can relate as well. I'm happy to point out how UPN's "Star Trek: Enterprise" has nothing whatsoever to do with "Gene's vision" for Star Trek.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makemake
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-01 6:56 pm   Permalink

Like they say, It's not polite to make fun of a subculture.

[ This Message was edited by: makemake on 2003-10-01 18:58 ]

View Profile of makemake Send a personal message to makemake      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-02 11:13 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:10 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-02 11:21 am   Permalink

Group hug!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Room Fan

Posted: 2003-10-04 11:31 am   Permalink

Sob...sob...sob...

That's me in the photo and article from the LA Weekly.

I'm not sobbing over anything you folks here are saying (and I already received a very nice apology from ONE of you--thanks!), but I am sobbing over how sad it is that some people cannot accept the idea that people have secret (and not-so-secret) passions in life.

My entire life does not revolve around Disneyland. Just as, I trust everyone here doesn't spend every waking moment in Tiki-land. And yes, I get a little overboard--WHEN I AM WITH FELLOW ENTHUSIASTS.

Tiki fans? Hey--I am happy to bring Tiki stuff to share. And I enjoy seeing what you have or learning something new (Humuhumu gave me some timely info).

As far as my "ordering around" the Disneyland staff--I was unhappy that they weren't as prepared as they shoulda been. You Shag fans were SO NICE about the whole thing, though. Also--the Disneyland staffers there that day were mostly known to me. So just think of it as if you were "ordering around" the staff at your favorite Tiki Bar.

AND...don't believe everything you read in the papers! Frixample, I would never have dissed Trek fans. The "quote" I gave at the end...I never said. The entire article is filled with stuff like that. I knew that this would probably happen if I talked to a reporter--but hope springs eternal.

View Profile of Tiki Room Fan Send a personal message to Tiki Room Fan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-04 1:06 pm   Permalink

that reporter was a jerk anyway - he says right off the bat he doesn't like disneyland.
never trust anyone who doesn't like disneyland.

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 12:20 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:11 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Room Fan

Posted: 2003-10-06 1:34 pm   Permalink

BAD NEWS!

I just saw the new shipment of Tiki mugs at the Disneyana Shop. These are the open stock mugs ($10.50). As you will recall, they had rope detail around the base and handle.

Well... The new mugs are plain tan mugs! The same graphic details are transfer printed around the circumference. But other than that, there ain't nothin' Tiki about 'em!

I asked if they would get any more of the "rope" style mugs, and they said they didn't think so.

Don't get me wrong--they are nice looking mugs (and heavy, too). But they're not the same.

So hang onto your rope style open stock mugs.

View Profile of Tiki Room Fan Send a personal message to Tiki Room Fan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 4:01 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 07:04 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gatorjwade
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-15 06:55 am   Permalink

Fellow TCers, If anyone is interested, I have two MEDIUM Shag Tiki Room 40th Anniv aloha shirts (brand new) that I will sell for what I paid for them ($58 + $11 ea. shipping from Disneyland) plus whatever it takes to ship to you. Pls email me directly if you're interested. Otherwise I will put on ebay this weekend. Thank you.

View Profile of gatorjwade Send a personal message to gatorjwade  Email gatorjwade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-15 11:29 pm   Permalink

1) I got one of my back ordered items (goblet) today direct from Tiki Farm so they're on their way in case anyone's interested.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 11:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for update, still waiting for my stuff. Hopefully get 2day.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Andrew
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-17 1:45 pm   Permalink

I got my two pole mugs yesterday.
A

View Profile of Andrew Send a personal message to Andrew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Larry Lava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-03 7:45 pm   Permalink

We were at Disneyland this weekend and saw that they still have some Shag Tiki Room stuff there. In the Adventureland Bazaar they had a table with the puzzles, boxed cards, neckcharms, mousepad, and the ropeless mug.

View Profile of Larry Lava Send a personal message to Larry Lava      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation