FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Enchanted Tiki Room Anniverary Official Press Release
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Enchanted Tiki Room Anniverary Official Press Release
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 2:41 pm   Permalink

Just returned from a D-land trip this a.m. to see what was left after the dust settled. They still have about 2 dozen Shag aloha shirts (sizes s, med, a large in the display window, and a few XXL), womens t-shirts, a small supply of pendants, notecards, puzzles, and small prints left as reported by TikiGoon. The mugs and bowls were gone.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jax Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 2:46 pm   Permalink

My brother and me scoped out the arrangements on Friday and parked at the Disney Californian Resort at 5:30...made it to the gates by 5:45 where a crowd of 12-15 were there already. As fortune would have it...I was one of those idiots who ran as the gates opened and scored the Original Tiki room painting. My brother followed with the "Waking Jose" painting. I guess at least a TC'er has it instead of someone in Japan.
Regards to Hal...a fellow TC'er from Tampa whom I met while Shag signed items. We both travelled from Florida just for the event.

View Profile of Jax Tiki Send a personal message to Jax Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 2:58 pm   Permalink

Nice score JaxTiki. I was there at 7:00 am and was only four back from one of the entrances. I had no intention of buying the original but did want a signed print. I managed to score one plus mugs thanks to the speed walking of Mrs. RockaTiki. Could you buy more than one original? I heard they were limiting the original to one per person.
What an event. Nice to finally meet some of the TC'ers and great chatting in line with HotLava & RockaTiki.

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jax Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 3:08 pm   Permalink

Yes...only one original per person. I also bought two of the serigraphs which were #1 and #2. Seems almost unfair but that's the system they had set up. My brother bought two prints also..#3 and #4.

View Profile of Jax Tiki Send a personal message to Jax Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 4:08 pm   Permalink

How many "originals" were there?

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 4:14 pm   Permalink

4 Different originals.

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 4:25 pm   Permalink

The originals were:

"Tangaroa"

"One Enchanted Evening"

"Tiki Room Aviary"

"Waking Jose"

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 4:28 pm   Permalink

Winner takes all!!!

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 4:41 pm   Permalink

I can't believe that we were in line at the Disney gates at 5:30 AM and there was already a restless crowd. The time passed quickly though as we exchanged stories with some very enthusiastic Shag/Tiki/Disney fans. By 8:00, when the gates were set to open there was a huge crowd. I thought it was all going to be orderly and everyone was going to play nice. However, when the gates opened, all hell broke loose! People were falling over each other, running like there was no tomorrow, and jockeying for position in the next line. I was 2nd through my turnstile, got there as quickly as possibly and was still about 40th in line at the Disneyana store.

Waited about 2 more hours just to get in to buy a print, mugs, and anything else we could get our paws on. Once inside we found out why it was so slow. To me they seemed pretty unprepared for the event. Many things could have been done to move things along faster (I'll spare you those details). I felt very sorry for the people that were 200/300/400+ deep in the line. They probably spent the entire day waiting without knowing if there would even be anything left when they got in.

On a positive note, all of the merchandise was incredibly cool! As we waited, I was wondering if it was really worth all this trouble...but now that I can sit back and admire our new treasures...yea, it was worth it.

It was an extremely unfair system that they had set up for the event. Disney dropped the ball in regards to organiziation and many people ended up getting screwed over. In the end, the final order of the line was determined by a combination of luck and ruthless behavior. I heard that Disney was used to dealing with fanatical crowds for other events. Apparently they underestimated this time.

It would also be nice if Disney might get a clue from this event's popularity and put a little TLC (a major refurbishment) into the Tiki Room itself. Anyway, it was nice spending time with quite a few new Tiki Central friends. Hope to see you all again at the next event!

ModMana

[ This Message was edited by: modmana on 2003-09-24 13:21 ]

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 5:48 pm   Permalink

Anyone get an extra Tiki Pole Mug or Goblet they'd like to trade for a Huki Huki 2003 Hukilau mug or a Mondo Tiki 2003 Mug (green or yellow)?? Just send me a private message if interested - Thanks!

When I called Disney DelivEARS, they said they'd be getting more stock in of the mugs that we'd be able to to order by calling Disney DelivEARS. Hope that's true! They didn't know timing, so weren't taking Wish List orders, yet.

Holden - any idea of timing??? Will it be more of both the Goblet & the Tiki Pole BOTH??

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 6:14 pm   Permalink

I beleive that the "mugs" DelivEars spoke of would be the coffee mugs not the pole or goblet.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-09-22 18:15 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rock-A-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-22 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-22 14:58, BONBONVIC wrote:
Nice to finally meet some of the TC'ers and great chatting in line with HotLava & RockaTiki.

BONBONVIC is was nice meeting you and HOTLAVA, the wife and I never made it back, we ended up lounging by the pool. I hope we cross paths again, ALOHA.

View Profile of Rock-A-Tiki Send a personal message to Rock-A-Tiki  Email Rock-A-Tiki Goto the website of Rock-A-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 10:39 pm   Permalink

Hi,
Disney sold out of the Enchanted Tiki Pole Mug & have 21 of the Goblet mugs up for grabs through their Ears Service.
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 11:48 pm   Permalink

Ditto on how the system was unfair. Only 300 prints and they let people buy two? I tried to tell the Disney lady outside but she was like a brainwashed zombie. Like many others have posted it was great to meet other TC members and others with like interests. Truth be told, I surveyed the crowd outside and thought to myself "damn, it's like a star trek convention" I meet a local lady in line and she was a damn fruitloop, pissing and bitching about the people who showed up late and ended up with the originals. Mark, if you read this thanks again for the ride to my car. Stop in for dinner sometime.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SallyandJay
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 08:59 am   Permalink

Wow,

What a weekend. It was great to meet so many people around the gates for those 2 hours before opening. After the rush we got split up and spent 3 hours chatting with new folks.
It would have been so much nicer to have had wristband distribution before the gates opened. I suspect the crowd would have been much more socialable once they were assured they could buy a serigraph.
We are back in Chicago and trying to catch up on work. Tonight I will post some of our crowd pictures with some narration

View Profile of SallyandJay Send a personal message to SallyandJay  Email SallyandJay     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation