FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Fassionola?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Fassionola?
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-17 11:51 am   Permalink

I have not tried the green yet. the red is "fruity", punch like. It makes some real tasty drinks out of the DTB book.
Mahalo,
Al

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely 2006-12-21 06:55 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-17 1:12 pm   Permalink

A bit off topic...but, I remember having Hawaiian Punch as a syrup. It also started as a ice cream topping.

In a search to see if they still make it in syrup form I came across a brief history of Hawaiian Punch and was shocked to find out it was born in a garage in Fullerton CA, my home town!
http://www.dpsu.com/hawaiian_punch.html

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teddy-bear2003

Posted: 2004-12-29 10:07 am   Permalink

We have an (empty) bottle of the Original Passinola South Seas Mix Base (since 1916). The ingredients are: sugar, artifical coloring, blend of reconstitued citrus fruits, citric acid, orginal blend of passion fruit and other fruit flavors. Contains 1/10 of 1% benoate of soda. The address of the company is Fassionola Products P.O. Box 2354 Van Nuys, CA 91494. We have tried calling but no answer. We are looking for a source too.

View Profile of teddy-bear2003 Send a personal message to teddy-bear2003      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-29 4:31 pm   Permalink

Well, the current Fassionola situation on my end is as follows:

Use Hawaiian Punch concentrate until I find some Fassionola or somebody sends me a small sample which I can try to replicate.

Or as mentioned above, if someone who actually has some on hand could do a side by side taste test of Hawaiian Punch syrup and Fassionola...

If the HP frozen concentrate were mixed to the same syrup consistency as the Fassionola, and the taste test proved to be positive, it might just solve the whole issue for everyone.

I have a gut feeling that the HP syrup would be a very close match.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teddy-bear2003

Posted: 2004-12-30 12:16 pm   Permalink

We just got a bottle of Trader Vic's Passion Fruit mixture (double strength). It seems to be the same as Fassionola.

View Profile of teddy-bear2003 Send a personal message to teddy-bear2003      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 09:32 am   Permalink

Do you think Fassionola was a rip-off of Passionola? See entry in CoctailDB: http://cocktaildb.com/ingr_detail?id=345

I'm guessing yes and will quit my search for Fassionola and just use TV's passion fruit syrup.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 09:53 am   Permalink

Well done, JTD. Happy to see this question put to rest. Cheers!

Wouldn't it be twisted if it turned out to be mis-spelling of Passionola all this time?

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 5:27 pm   Permalink

I have a hard time thinking that Fassionola is simply colored passion fruit syrup. At least one recipe in the Don the Beachcomber book (Pi-Yi, and I swear there's another but cannot find it) has both Fassionola and passion fruit juice. Realizing that syrup and juice are not the same it would still seem odd to have a drink with some of both. For what it's worth, there is also a recipe (Cherry Blossom Punch) in the DtheB that has Hawaiian Punch and Fassionola as ingredients.

The name "Fassionola" suggests that passion fruit juice or flavoring is likely a central component of Fassionola but I'd think there would be other flavors as well or else it wouldn't be described as a "fruit flavored blend" when passionfruit syrup was already being used in other recipes.

The unfortunate thing is that this could probably be solved very quickly if the TC brain trust could get it together. We have members who are very good at reverse engineering (or at least replicating) drinks and we have members who own bottles of Fassionola.

Can someone mail an ounce or two to KK Ahu or Pablus and see what they come up with? In the name of SCIENCE!! this needs to be settled.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-31 5:41 pm   Permalink

Hey, there's a wikipedia entry on Fassionola! OK, who on TC wrote it? Anyway, it says to substitute hawaiian punch syrup.

http://www.answers.com/topic/fassionola

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-31 5:53 pm   Permalink

The Passionola bottle shown on CocktailDB shows the ingredients as: Sugar, Water, Juices of Passion Fruit, Apricot, Peach, enhanced by True Fruit and Artificial Flavors, Fruit Acid, Pectin, Certified Food Color, and Benzoate of Soda. Sounds like more different flavors then Passion Fruit Syrup has. I would guess that Passionola was one popular brand, and Fassionola was another popular brand for the same type of mixer.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 04:54 am   Permalink

I have found another substitute for Fassionola that is common and works perfectly.

Pat O'Briens Hurricane mix. It comes as a powder so you can order it cheaply from the internet if your local grocery or liquor store does not stock it. A liquid mix and concentrate are also available but not very common outside New Orleans.

Have Fun

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 09:36 am   Permalink

BK is good at reverse engineering, too.

Al-ii, send me an ounce of the green fassionola and I'll have a recipe for it in 4 days.

Corn syrup. Blecch.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 2:14 pm   Permalink

Yes, reverse engineering it would not be difficult with an ingredient list and a sample. Hell, that's all it took for me to copy Sazerac Falernum.

I agree that Pablus or BK could easily do the same. I'd love to get a hold of a sample, and I'd be willing to trade a sample of one of the homemade versions of items I produce for it, as well as the recipe for said samples from both (my recipe for the sample I send, and the recipe I generate for Fassionola).

I make a La Grenade style nutmeg liqueur that gets good reviews and is a fine exotic for having on hand (and is near impossible to acquire outside of Grenada).

I make true pommegranate grenadine, Sazerac style Falernum, pimento, a strong clove liqueur (not like becherovka, more suited to tropicals) that is key to constructing Sazerac easily, as well as some uncommon exotics for the truly adventurous (and completist or obsessive compulsive) experimental bartender.

Sorrel liqueur
Hibiscus liqueur
Nutmeg liqueur
Cardamom liqueur
Rosemary rum liqueur (a sweetened ninnie basically)

Anyway, yes Kono, we need to put this to bed and get a solid recipe for this stuff. There is no reason to keep hunting for NOS ingredients when a recipe can be had that all of us could use. Especially when we can make a version that tastes and acts the same, but contains no unnatural bullsh*t.

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

[ This Message was edited by: KuKuAhu 2006-04-02 18:53 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 5:04 pm   Permalink

Hibiscus?
What the heck does that taste like?

And why haven't you made Okolehao?

hunh?
hunh?
hunh?

why?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 6:51 pm   Permalink

I do not... uh.. distill spirits at home.. er.. because that.. well, that would be illegal.

Actually I have looked into making okolehao, and the process for growing ti and making the mash would be easy. And while the equipment to distill the result would be easy to acquire, and the raw liquor relatively simple to make, there is a problem.

Aging.

I really don't have the patience to sit on a barrel of oke for a year or two. I mean, maybe I could do it, but... I just don't know. And the unaged stuff would be like white lightning. Not exactly good for cocktails.

Now if we assume that the okolehao used in old recipes is the moonshine-like young stuff, then it is doable. But I'm guessing it isn't.

Hibiscus liqueur is bright blood red and very fruity, almost citrusy. Looks a lot like proper grenadine, and the flavor is reminiscent of rosehip tea. I make mine with hawaiian sugar and organic hibiscus flowers.

Some recipes call for lemon zest or even vanilla beans, but I prefer to keep it purely hibiscus flavored. I use an alcohol steep followed by a spring water steep to extract as much from the flowers as possible. Then I use the water steep in the sugaring process. It makes for a thick syrup if you leave it in concentrate form as the hibiscus seems to have a sort of pectin property. It even "crystalizes" a bit of jelly at the top of the rest bottle. I have used it in place of grenadine in drinks and it really shines.

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: KuKuAhu 2006-04-02 18:57 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation