FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-17 09:58 am   Permalink

I was only there once, but I agree that the market could do better. Instead of the "International" (Made in China) goods, it could promote local Hawaiian artists and craftspeople. I would love to buy a muu-muu that was actually made in Hawai'i. (that goes for the tikis too!)
M C

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-02 2:46 pm   Permalink

I spent the first 12 years of my life living in Honolulu and never once set foot in the IMP - too many tourists, of course - but I am saddened by this news.

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 7:59 pm   Permalink

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/13/business/index1.html

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-08-13 13:20 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 4:52 pm   Permalink

I have mixed feelings on the latest news. On the one hand, the wife, kids and I always wandered through the IMP when we were staying on Waikiki.

On the other hand, I've seen pictures of the original IMP, and seen the mock-ups of the restoration, and that looked pretty good, too.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 6:30 pm   Permalink

Considering that Waikiki has potentially the most upscale shopping on Earth with multiple malls, Gucci and 2 Coach outlets on Ala Moana, there should be some balance by keeping the more modest, open air International Market Place in its current form.

Last summer, it was mobbed with shoppers and there did
not appear to be any lack of tenants.

However, the Queen Emma Foundation has scaled back its plans not because of love of the current status quo, but because they did not want to invest the $150 million. There may be other financial institutions willing to make that investment. After all, Waikiki is one of the most touristy areas in the world and the IMP is ground zero.

We should be glad it stays in its present form for as long as it does.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 12:51 pm   Permalink

Renovating IMP will be bad no matter what the plan is. Lovingly restoring what is there should be the only socially acceptable plan.
Termites? I'm sure Iolani palace was full of them in its former days of decay. Did the state tear it down and put up a hotel? No way.
If the state gave a darn about Hawaii's mid-20th century history the way they care for ancient Hawaiian and Hawaiian monarchy period cultural sites, they would take the time to catalog all of the "tiki period" artifacts and architecture that still exists at IMP, declare it a protected state landmark (kind of like St. Petersburg did with Sunken Gardens), and charge big leases to operate shops and restaurants there.
The Royal Hawaiian shops across the street from IMP is a perfectly ugly example of how old Waikiki is being destroyed and replaced by "up-to-date" mega-tourist-revenue-producing structures similar to those found in every other major tourist destination on the planet. Ugh!
There are two reasons for this, the almighty dollar of course, and locals who reject "tiki" culture as some kind of cultural embarrassment. I can't believe how narrow Hawaii's vision of itself can be sometimes. I guess it comes from living on an island.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2005-08-17 12:54 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 2:15 pm   Permalink

The last thing I want to do is be contentious on any matter, nor political, but I generally think that those who want to preserve architectural landmarks and geographical settings as they are, prohibiting that they change with the times, should join together with like-minded people and purchase them.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 6:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-17 12:51, Kailuageoff wrote:

Renovating IMP will be bad no matter what the plan is. Lovingly restoring what is there should be the only socially acceptable plan.
Termites? I'm sure Iolani palace was full of them in its former days of decay. Did the state tear it down and put up a hotel? No way.
. . .
There are two reasons for this, the almighty dollar of course, and locals who reject "tiki" culture as some kind of cultural embarrassment. I can't believe how narrow Hawaii's vision of itself can be sometimes. I guess it comes from living on an island.

Excellent association.

However, I think the problem is that the primary trusts who own the vast majority of private Hawaiian land think like land developers who happen to be in Hawaii, not like Hawaiians, who happen to own land.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 12:44 am   Permalink

Vintage postcard

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-05 11:22 am   Permalink

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 | Modified: Wednesday, September 24, 2008
New plan for International Market Place announced
Pacific Business News (Honolulu) - by Janis L. Magin

For the second time in five years, the Queen Emma Land Co. on Tuesday unveiled plans to redevelop the 50-year-old International Market Place in the center of Waikiki.

The nonprofit landowner, which was created to provide funding for The Queen’s Medical Center, is seeking a master developer to redevelop 6.48 acres along Kalakaua and Kuhio avenues into a “contemporary mixed-use resort destination that includes shopping, dining and entertainment.”

The organization hopes to generate funds to continue and expand operations at The Queen’s Medical Center, the largest private hospital in the state. The company is the real estate arm of The Queen's Health Systems, which owns some 12,000 acres statewide, including 18 acres beneath hotels and the International Market Place in Waikiki.

In September 2003, Queen Emma announced plans for a $100 million renovation of the International Market Place with construction to begin in 2005.

But there were internal disagreements over the scope of the plans and their cost, as well as changes in management of the then-Queen Emma Foundation.

The latest plans call for the redevelopment of the 2.9-acre International Market Place, the 75,000-square-foot Waikiki Town Center retail building on Kuhio Avenue, as well as the Perry’s Smorgy Restaurant and Food Pantry on the mauka side of Kuhio.

The plans may also include the Miramar Hotel property on Kuhio Avenue.
Retail ground leases at the properties expire in 2010

“You want to create a thriving center where future generations will be able to enjoy the rich heritage of these properties while maintaining a Hawaiian sense of place,” said Mark Yamakawa, president of Queen Emma Land Co., in a statement. “We recognize that we have a responsibility to do our part to help enhance Waikiki for both locals and visitors, not only for the obvious benefits to the community, but also to enhance Waikiki as a destination and strengthen Hawaii’s economy.”

The Queen Emma properties are next door to Kyo-ya Ltd.’s Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel, which is slated for redevelopment in the next several years.

Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-05 3:26 pm   Permalink

Sad news. I love the IMP. Perhaps the current financial climate will give us a little bit longer to visit and pay our last respects.

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-05 4:27 pm   Permalink

I honestly think this will be just like the previous plan, and never actually materialize.

I am partially involved with a business located inside the International Market. We got a letter about this new plan back in August or September, but haven't heard anything about it since. With our tourism hurting so bad because of the economy, there is no way any bank around here would finance such a project. There have been a lot of big projects announced for Oahu in the past few years, and almost all of them have been canceled.

The market itself is also hurting, too. They have lost a lot of tenants recently, with even more not able to pay their rent.

I think it will be quite a while before the market makes big changes.

However, in the long run, I don't have much hope for the International Market. I have recently dealt with Queen Emma and the people who run the market, and I have little hope for its care. They do not have any concern about its history or saving any part of its legacy. Their only concerns are what will make the most money, and to make sure everything is done by the book using their antiquated ways of management. They would rather make sure that the proper forms are filled out than to actually make sure things are being done correctly. Their office runs like it is directly out of 1965. That is why so much of the tikiness of the place has already disappeared so quickly.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-05 7:28 pm   Permalink

The IMP is a pathetic shadow of it's former self, with virtually nothing of value to be had in it's intirety. And the cachophony of annoying sidewalk 'performers' in front and along Kalakaua Ave. doesn't help.
I heard Jimmy Buffet's new 'rant is great in Don Ho's old digs, but it'll take much more than that to make the place better, like it used to be. It'd be great to see it actually happen!
Waikiki has shot itself in both feet long ago by driving out the Hawaiian's for soul-less view blocking concrete and Prada-esque junk. It's essentially to be avoided on any visit to the isles.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-05 10:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-05 16:27, Mo-Eye wrote:
I honestly think this will be just like the previous plan, and never actually materialize.
. . . With our tourism hurting so bad because of the economy, there is no way any bank around here would finance such a project.
. . .
However, in the long run, I don't have much hope for the International Market. I have recently dealt with Queen Emma and the people who run the market, and I have little hope for its care. They do not have any concern about its history or saving any part of its legacy. Their only concerns are what will make the most money . . .

Mo-Eye, your words offer both relief (no changes in the short term due to economic downturn), but dread in the long term (the owner will raze the entirety for another hotel or any other more lucrative venture).

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-05 11:20 pm   Permalink

Maybe this flagrant misuse of "money-that-no-one-had-but-wanted-to spend-anyway" economics of the last 8 years will possibly help derail the Prada/Gucci label infatuation that America and the world has become so horribly addicted to. Maybe it will make people realize that there is more to life than overpriced luxury crap, so that a place like Waikiki can actually reconsider it's desire to turn itself into a big mall for label whores....

Maybe not, but this bad economy is certainly putting some of this stuff in check for the time being.

Doesn't the Ala Moana center have that shit covered already ? Can't they just make Waikiki about the beach and the beauty of Hawaii ?
When I think of Waikiki, SHOPPING is the last thing I think about doing, with that beautiful beach and view of Diamond Head right there.

Hopefully this economic downturn will slow some of this "progress" down for the time being, and people will get to check out what's left of the marketplace.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation