[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Need help: Unusual Christmas Music
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Need help: Unusual Christmas Music
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-17 3:59 pm   Permalink

As somebody who owns over 300 Christmas vinyl Christmas LPs, I will state that the coolest Christmas LP ever is....

The Three Suns: A Ding Dong Dandy Christmas.
I've heard one person describe this LP by saying "If Dr. Seuss had an ice skating rink with a jukebox, every selection would be from this album.
http://www.tothcorp.com/threesuns/LSera/dingdong.html

Other two really good ones are:
Ferrante and Teicher: Adventures in Carols
This is from the duos early experiemental period in the late 50's, when they plucked, strummed, and used avant-garde methods to create some real cool winter tunes.

Lenny Dee: Happy Holi-Dee
from the guy with the carzy organ stylings

All three of the above LPs are from the late 50's - right about the time that Martin Denny was recording 'Quiet Village' All of them would definitely qualify as being Devo-esque.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-09-17 4:16 pm   Permalink

Nothing weird or unusual, but I grew up with these and still like them.

The Herb Alpert Christmas Album (1968) - "Winter Wonderland" is a favorite on this.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002G9N/qid=1063835517/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9561909-7763158?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

The Andy Williams Christmas Album (1963) - the track "Happy Holidays/The Holiday Season" really swings.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000024RX/qid=1063835634/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-9561909-7763158

How about Elvis' "Santa Claus is Back in Town" or "Blue Christmas"?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002W8O/qid=1063836045/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-9561909-7763158

The Ronettes are a good choice, as are any of the tracks on the Phil Spector Christmas Album (1963):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003BD7/ref=pd_sim_music_1/104-9561909-7763158?v=glance&s=music

Booker T and the MGs' Christmas Album (1966) is on my turntable every year.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000034CL/qid%3D1063836262/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-9561909-7763158

There are some good songs on the Rhythm and Blues Christmas volumes (one and four are the best ones):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/36039/ref=m_art_dp/104-9561909-7763158

Finally, anything on Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas is good:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000046YM/qid=1063836798/sr=5-2/ref=cm_lm_asin/104-9561909-7763158?v=glance

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-17 4:25 pm   Permalink

Ikitnrev, I really dig "The Three Suns - A Ding Dong Dandy Christmas"! A must-have for every holiday music collection.
If it hasn't, it should be re-released as a CD. I burned my vinyl copy to CD, otherwise I would have worn out the album by now!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-17 4:56 pm   Permalink

2 ideas...

Bob Atcher and the Dinning Sisters - Christmas Island

Fat Daddy - Christmas Song
A song recorded in the late 50's by local radio DJ Paul "Fat Daddy" Johnson. It has been a local holiday favorite ever since and was only available on the super rare original 45 until a few years ago when it was finally put out as a CD single. A must hear holiday classic!

Goes a little like this...

I'm Fat Daddy (la la la la la)
I'm Santa Claus (wooah wo yeah)
I'm Fat Daddy
The Reindeer's boss
All the kids love me
simply because...
they know Fat Daddy
is really Santa Claus...

And so on and so forth.........

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-17 4:59 pm   Permalink

I too have about 300 Christmas lps and all of them are strange or swingin'. I produce a tape each year for friends and people I don't like.

While I doubt you'll be able to find my Japanese version of "Santa Claus is Coming To Town" or Topo Gigio singing "What Child Is This?" in Spanish, you may be able to find:

"Jolly Old St. Nicholas" by Maurice Chevalier

"Marshmallow World" by Dean Martin (he sounds wonderfully drunk).

Anything off the Ventures Christmas album - probably the best Christmas album of all time. "Sleigh Ride" is particulary good.

"Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" - The Partridge Family

"Deck The Halls" by the Mexicali Brass
"What Child Is This?" by the Border Brass

"Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto" - James Brown.

"The Christmas Waltz" by Frank Sinatra (my favorite nostalgic Christmas song)

"Home For The Holidays" - Lorne Greene

"From All of Us to All of You" - Jiminy Cricket

"Up On The Housetop" - The Jackson Five

"Mamacita, Donde Esta Santa Claus" - by Charo

"Winter Wonderland" - Alfred Apaka

"Christmas Island" - The Lennon Sisters

"What Will Santa Claus Say? (When He Finds Everybody Swingin'" Louis Prima & His New Orleans Gang

"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Mambo" Billy May

"Boogie Woogie Santa Claus" Sonny Parker

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-18 07:52 am   Permalink

Can't find Fat Daddy on Amazon (to hear a clip) but it sounds funny!

Now the client has asked me to explore 'non christmas music' because they want to 'zig when they zag'. I love it when clients try to talk 'hip' !

My patience is being severely tried.

I thank you all for ooooodles of help. Hopefully you had fun in the process too!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-19 11:32 am   Permalink

Los Straitjackets just put out a Christmas album last year. It's all instrumental surf style music. It's pretty cool stuff.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-19 7:23 pm   Permalink

We have a winner:
Blue Xmas by Leon Redbone. Not funny in itself, but funny when you see it with picture.

Thank you all for your help!

And now I have lots of great ideas to make a personal Christmas CD for myself!!!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation