FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Miss Kauai and the Mysterious Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Miss Kauai and the Mysterious Tiki
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-09-23 09:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-22 20:39, Atomic Cocktail wrote:

Bong, I believe you are mistaken. A number of scholars with even more arcane interests than ours have done research on the history of the Cheongsan. It appears that it is derived from the robes worn during the Manchu Dynasty.

Sorry AT,

But a recent Rand Corporation study conducted last week, definatively concluded that whatever Bong says is the absolute truth even if it is factually in error. So there!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 09:22 am   Permalink

Bong,

I stand corrected and bow before you magnificence. COMMAND ME GREAT ONE!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-09-23 10:23 ]

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 09:40 am   Permalink

Re: cheongsams

My father grew up in Tienstin,China (Army brat in the '30's) and to this day waxes nostalgic for his first pangs of adolescence (aka horniness) at the sight of slender Chinese women in cheongsams, the dress hugging their curves, revealing only the arms (no cleavage) and that mysterious, enticing peek of leg through the slit of the skirt.

It's a wonder I'm not half Chinese. But Dad ultimately went for pure white bread.

He loves the cheongsams I've bought, however!

And no, not in a creepy way, so shut up!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-10-05 8:31 pm   Permalink

Here you go Sabu.......

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-05 9:03 pm   Permalink

Those tropical livations look so beautiful......
And so do the ones at the bottom of the pics.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 5:18 pm   Permalink

Now that TRT2 is completely done, I hope to begin posting here more often again... at least until the assembly of my Hukilau presentation begins to suck up all of my available Tiki-time!

Well... here's a pic I dug up that will appear in Tiki Road Trip 2 in black and white - thought you all might enjoy the technicolor version.

Same girl (Elithe Aguiar)?, and you all know this Tiki she's posed next to...

TRT2:
http://www.tydirium.net/tiki/tikiroadtrip.html

http://www.tydirium.net
Big Stone Head / Tiki Road Trip / Left Orbit Temple

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-05-01 17:19 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 6:56 pm   Permalink

Bootyful! So where WAS this Tiki located in Hawaii? Some kinda fern forest or so, right? I still wanna find out the carver....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 7:51 pm   Permalink

OK, I can't believe I didn't see this post when it began. I've met Elithe Aguilar this past year. I'm on the organizing committee of the Miss Hawaii U.S.A. Pageant here, the state preliminary to Miss U.S.A. and Miss Universe. We organized a reunion of some past titleholders and were able to locate Elithe.
She was Miss Kauai in 1964, and 1st runner up to Miss Hawaii for the Miss America system. The next year, she competed and won the title of Miss Hawaii U.S.A. 1965. She then went on to place in the top 15 at the Miss U.S.A. Pageant in Miami Beach.
She has recently written a book about "Ha", the Hawaiian practice of healing using one's breath control. If I knew how to post pictures, I actually have her, myself, and several of the past Miss Hawaii U.S.A.s in a photo.
She's a lovely lady, very gracious, who doesn't take herself or her modeling/pageant past seriously at all and had a wonderful time of it.
I should add if any of you have the "101 Strings in a Hawaiian Paradise" lp from Alshire, I believe that is Elithe on the cover of that as well.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2007-05-01 20:07 ]

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-23 12:24 pm   Permalink

For those interested seeing Elithe "in action", I just finished watching the Brady Bunch episodes where they are in Hawaii (The famous "bad luck tiki" incident) and there are some great shots of Elithe as the hula instructor to the Brady ladies when they are getting lessons by the ocean in front of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Kaiwaza
"Hawaiian Leisure Hour" Youtube Hawaiian vinyl music
https://www.youtube.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-23 1:53 pm   Permalink

Cool! Yet, whenever this or one of the other posts where the above Trader Vic Tiki is mentiond come up again I am full of hope that someone may have found out who carved them.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 11:24 pm   Permalink

Here's another picture of Elithe from an Inter-Island Resorts brochure:

Kaiwaza - now that you know how to post photos to TC, would you be able to find and post those pics of you and Elithe from a few years ago?

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 11:56 pm   Permalink

Nice Sabu,

I am 99.9% sure this is another Miss Kauai postcard. She is hiding behind the frosty-chilly, but that has to be her.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-25 12:41 am   Permalink

Aloha,

That's from the Trader Vic's in the International Market Place. It's my uncle Mike's photograph circa 1968. From his notes I have, there is no more information.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2009-07-25 00:49 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-25 06:05 am   Permalink

Here's one of mine from 1965.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-26 11:33 pm   Permalink

I agree that DC's photo sure looks like Elithe Aguiar. Trav's... I'm not so sure - but I like it. Unless she's credited inside the brochure. After she was crowned Miss Kauai, her name was often credited on her photos.

Here's the 101 Strings lp photo that Kaiwaza mentioned:

And here's a photo from the cover of "This Week" In Hawaii, from 1967, promoting her hula dancing in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation