FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Beyond Tiki Finds
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )
Beyond Tiki Finds
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 8:20 pm   Permalink

This thread has gone to crap

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 8:58 pm   Permalink

It's Craptacular!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 10:20 pm   Permalink

I've had enough crap so I'll give you a gem found inside.
This under "Restricted Security Information" an excerpt by James Michener from the book "The Tale Of South Pacific", a book I found in an antique store.

"Toward the end of World War II. I got one of the best breaks of my life. I was stationed on a rear-area South Pacific island where the commander, a good guy, was determined to make an extra stripe. To insure his promotion, he kept his roster as crowded as possible, so that even though I had nothing to do I was reported as absolutely essential. I complained, but it didn't do any good because my commander's boss was trying to make admiral--and he needed all the people under him, too.

The system left me free to do pretty much as I wished, on a remarkably savage yet lovely island. I had as my assistants a wonderful Tennessee shoemaker named Jim, a cocky little Los Angeles Mexican named Garcia, and a worldly-wise Maine storekeeper named Morrison. To them I turned over all my naval responsibilities and the use of my jeep at night. It was little Garcia who thought up the idea that kept me out of trouble. Whenever anyone asked for me, he replied, "Mr. Michener is on the other side of the island...on important business."

Actually, my days were invariable. After handling all business routines in fifteen minutes, I got into the jeep and explored my island. I traveled with the medical man who cared for the native children. I spent long hours in the bar at the submarine base. I flew with hot-shot pilots from the airfields. I became good friends with the Catholic priest who looked after a noticeably free-living and free-loving French community. And I took long trips both into the jungle and across South Pacific seas to remote islands.

On one such trip I happened to stumble upon the idyllic set-up that some naval officers at CASU-10 had built in the heart of the jungle, on the property of Madame Gardel. Through the simple process of stealing everything that wasn't nailed down--refrigerators, generators, canned food, beer, soda fountains, and plush furniture intended for officers' clubs--CASU-10 had constructed a magnificent night club, complete with orchestra, catering service, and gushing bar. And all within a few miles of the war.

In later years, after I had written a book about this island called "Tales of the South Pacific", a lot of military people gave me hell for having described some aspects of a pretty exciting and sometimes delightful life. They called me, among other things, a damned liar. But nobody from CASU-10 ever made such charges, because they knew better. They knew I had tracked down their jungle hideout at Madame Gardel's.

The book, from which the play and motion picture SOUTH PACIFIC were taken, was born one night at the CASU-10 hideaway. A Navy nurse, whose name I never knew, was married to an Army pilot, whose name I have forgotten. To celebrate the nuptials, we had assembled a pretty substantial wedding feast; the best, in fact, that could be stolen from closely guarded naval stores. Madame Gardel had invited to her plantation an entire tribe of jungle dancers. French planters had brought in jeeploads of wine and cognac. And we killed about half a dozen steers for a barbecue. There, in the depths of the jungle, the wedding was performed by a military chaplain who alternately read from the Service and stared at the tons of government gear around him.

Nothing that I have ever written about the South Pacific could equal, in inventiveness, the facts that occured there, and I have often wished that self-appointed critics, who dismiss my report of the Pacific as 'made-up romancing,' could have seen that 'improbable' weddding.

In the evenings, while Jim and Garcia and Morrison made their tours of the island in my jeep and made their own discoveries--Garcia ferreted out Madame Gardel's, too, and muscled in on the joint--I sat in the long, drafty tin hut and typed out my recollections of what I had seen and heard. Next morning the touring trio would read what I had written and tear it apart.

With the division of labor we proceeded to fight our war. In time I suppose I came to know my island as well as any man could, and from this knowledge I tried to compose a report of what life was actually like on a Pacific backwater. The fighting part I had experienced earlier at the front; and my mid-night notes became a fusion of these two aspects of war.

The book, when published, bore no dedication page. Today, if I were writing it, I would surely dedicate it to Jim and Garcia and Morrison, and to the navy nurse whose wedding I attended. (I was invited because I had found a way to hijack nearly a half truckload of beer.)

My commander made admiral. Little Garcia won a commendation for one of thwe bravest acts I have ever known a man to perform, and the Navy nurse and her pilot husband lived happily ever after...I hope.
Signed, James A. Michener

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-10 5:28 pm   Permalink

ArRrrRrRRrRRrrgghhH! Looksee what washed ashore on ol crapTOMics beach, aye?! Tis' a Bloom'n Dubloon from the land of Disney. A fine catch indeed, but I cheated, er' found it on seabay, Yarrghh...Unstamped, and is a fine specimen, indeed.
Yea, my pirate accent sucks, whatever! I was surprised to find one of these personalized dubloons un-struck, or in other words not stamped with someones message. I used to love the machine that made these, and too bad it was always out of order when I went...I did get to make one coin, when i was a youngin', but I lost it somehow!

[ This Message was edited by: Ol' Salty Dog Slick 2009-06-10 17:29 ]
and again for picture add!

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2009-06-10 17:32 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-13 04:33 am   Permalink

" Hello, my name is Uncle Trav and I'm a Crapaholic. I have been dealing with Crapitus for years." An excerpt from the last C.R.A.P. meeting. (Crapaholic Recovery And Prevention). Just kidding around because I don't have any good crap to post. Great finds everyone.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 07:03 am   Permalink

Trav, send me all your crap & I will send you a complete set of my Crapaholic 12-step program on 8-Track! We'll cure you yet!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 7:41 pm   Permalink

Count Crapula has crapped again!
I love Vegas! Funny how stuff from Vegas migrates to New England!

Way kool Jonah Jones LP. Time to dim the lights in the lounge!

I'll keep lookin' for more crap to brighten your days!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 1:19 pm   Permalink

Picked this marvelous fan up at a yard sale for 2 bucks. And found the perfect place for it....until football season starts....

KK

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 8:30 pm   Permalink

Not that I needed another collection, but it always bothers me when I see pics of servicemen for sale at fleas & antique stores. I decided I was gonna create a little wall of fame for them in the hallway, leading into my lounge. I figured this was a good place to start:

Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 07:38 am   Permalink

BK, Thats a cool pic, since it incorporates a veteran and his car...It has always bothered me when I'm out and find family photos and albums for sale...I mean, wasn't there anybody in their own family to carry the torch, and hold onto the family history?! Or is it that the estate nowadays is all about blood money, and since family pictures aren't worth much to others.....
That always sends a chill down my spine, and I happen to stumble upon that all the time. Really sad to see personal items like that left behind.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 07:54 am   Permalink

That's exactly why I bought it,Tom. Nobody had room in their house for this pic? He may have been going off to war, never to return! Well, he found a home with me. That's a '41 Chev Master Deluxe, by the way.

Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 4:24 pm   Permalink

Very cool Big Kahuna....I hope you don't mind if I also start a similar collection...perhaps a new thread showing off our "finds". As a 20 year navy vet I would hope that if the pictures of my past ended up in a thrift store someone like you would come along and give me a place of honor in their tiki bar.

Thank you for a great idea from an obvious big heart.

KK

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 7:59 pm   Permalink

KK, I would be hoored if you "stole" my idea & started your own wall of fame. I took the pic out of the frame, hoping there would be a name or some sort of ID on it, but there was nothing. I will continue to post these pics as I find them.

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 12:21 pm   Permalink

right outta the 60's ,a table 8 chairs ,aqua /pearl and orange and 2 orange bar stools.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 12:29 pm   Permalink

Those aqua/pearl colored chairs are ones I have never seen before.

Great set !

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation