FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Pimento Liqueur
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-10-25 12:19 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-10-24 06:44, The Gnomon wrote:
Quote:

When are we gonna see AE Reserve in the US?

Good news: February!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-29 2:12 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-10-25 12:19, martiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-10-24 06:44, The Gnomon wrote:
Quote:

When are we gonna see AE Reserve in the US?

Good news: February!

I meant to say Master Blenders' Legacy. We already get Reserve. Is Legacy coming in February?

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-10-29 2:38 pm   Permalink

No word on Master Distillers. Reserve is not yet in the CA market, so Feb. for us on that.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drcocktail

Posted: 2007-12-24 2:28 pm   Permalink

Ladies & Gents! Murray Xmas to you all! I'm writing a Pimento Dram column for the Feb/March issue of Imbibe, and how could I do that without one of my infrequent but always pleasurable sojourns to Tiki Central!?

Just a little something by way of HOPE for your Christmas stockings....not only will the aforementioned fine rum be available in February, but also a new commercially made pimento dram which, in a nod to all of our concerns over the marketability of the name, will be termed "Allspice Dram." It will hit CA & NY stores mid-month according to our benefactor, Eric Seed. Martin is in on this too, so he may have more guidance, but having just had an 30 minute conversation with Eric about it, I just wanted to share the cheer!

Peace & goodwill,
--Doc.

View Profile of drcocktail Send a personal message to drcocktail  Goto the website of drcocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-24 3:49 pm   Permalink

That's excellent news Dr Haigh. If I had to name one ingredient that's had the most dramatic impact on tiki drinks I've made over the last year, it would have to be my homemade pimento dram (using your recipe). Can you tell us who is making it so we can be on the lookout and pester our local liquor stores to stock it?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-12-26 3:13 pm   Permalink

Here's what to look for:

"From its origins in the tropical hills and valleys of Jamaica, the allspice berry has for generations been prized for its exceptional tastes of clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg and a pepper note that dazzles the palate. The allspice liqueur, known in classic cocktails as "Pimento Dram," brings together the fine pot-still rum and classic allspice berries of Jamaica. Enjoy St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram in classic cocktails, Wassail and other punches, mulled wine, continental and island cuisine. 22.5% Alc./Vol. 375ml. "

Made by Haus Alpenz.

[ This Message was edited by: martiki 2007-12-26 15:14 ]

jazzman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-27 08:20 am   Permalink

Martin do you know who's gonna sell it in the Bay Area?

View Profile of jazzman Send a personal message to jazzman  Email jazzman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Camano Mermaid

Posted: 2007-12-27 09:03 am   Permalink

I've been to Jamaica many times. Now that you can't bring back booze on plane I came up with my own recipe for Pimento Dram. Email me and I'll forward it to you. SSOINTOYOU@msn.com

View Profile of Camano Mermaid Send a personal message to Camano Mermaid  Email Camano Mermaid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-12-27 09:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-27 09:03, Camano Mermaid wrote:
I've been to Jamaica many times. Now that you can't bring back booze on plane I came up with my own recipe for Pimento Dram. Email me and I'll forward it to you. SSOINTOYOU@msn.com

Why not just post it here?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Camano Mermaid

Posted: 2007-12-27 09:27 am   Permalink

Because I keep lots of Jamaican/ Caribbean recipes on my computer. Much easier than typing out. You may get lucky and get more you'll love. I can cook as well as drink hardy.

View Profile of Camano Mermaid Send a personal message to Camano Mermaid  Email Camano Mermaid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-12-27 09:41 am   Permalink

Why make more work for yourself? Don't email it multiple times when you can just post it once.

If it's really on your computer, you can just copy and paste it, right here.

Or if that's too difficult to figure out, just send me a PM with the recipe and I'll do the posting.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Camano Mermaid

Posted: 2007-12-27 10:16 am   Permalink

Pimento Dram

1 cup allspice berries *
freshly ground nutmeg to taste *
2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice - Not bottled!
1 quart Appleton white rum
1/4 pound cinnamon sticks *
2 quarts water
4 pounds sugar

Place allspice berries, grated nutmeg, fresh lime juice and rum in a crock and let stand for 3 days in a cool dark space. Crack the cinnamon sticks and boil in the 2 quarts of water. Remove the sticks and bring water back to a full boil over medium heat. Add the sugar and continue to boil for about 10 minutes to produce a cinnamon sugar syrup. Let cool on stove top.
Meanwhile remove the allspice berries from the rum mixture. Add the cooled cinnamon syrup and strain into a large glass decanter with spigot if possible. (I got one at Target). Cover and store in a cool place for at least a month an preferably longer before using. Serve as you would a fine cordial. Gets better with age. Enjoy!

**** I ORDER ALL THE SPICES FROM PENZEYS ONLINE. MUCH FRESHER AND CHEAPER TOO!

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-12-27 11:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for the recipe Camano! This looks great!

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-12-27 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-27 08:20, jazzman wrote:
Martin do you know who's gonna sell it in the Bay Area?

Look for it at the usual suspects:

Ledgers Liquors - Berkeley
John Walker & Sons - San Francisco
Plumpjack (Noe Valley) - San Francisco
Beltramos - Menlo Park
Weimax - Burlingame

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-01-28 10:18 am   Permalink

On track for the end of February.

I think you're really going to like this spirit- it's much different than Berry Hill. Let's just call it more "pure". I'll get into more later when it comes on line.

As an aside, look for the Dr. Cocktail himself in a cameo in the movie Superbad. Playing a bartender, natch.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation