FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Pimento Liqueur
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-11-10 1:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-09 22:45, zrongo wrote:
You can buy Pimento Liqueur from the link below. I bought several bottles from them a couple of years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/caribbeantreasures/rums.htm

Their website is a little flaky. Email them directly and tell them you want to buy some.

I emailed them a couple of years ago and they responded that they were out of stock and wouldn't be selling it anymore.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 7:23 pm   Permalink

Damn! I just got back from Jamaica Monday. I should have taken orders for Pimento liqueur - the stuff was cheap too $12.00. I'm kicking myself too because Cuban rum was abundant as well - I was afraid I'd get busted by customs and get the stuff taken away but of course they didn't even give my wife and I a second glance! I could have smuggled Cuban rum, Cuban cigars, not to mention other illegal items if I wanted to! All I wanted was a bottle of that Cuban white rum...one damn bottle!! Did pick up some Appleton Reserve and Wray & Nephew overproof rum (anyone know what I use that in??)...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-11-13 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2003-11-12 19:23, johntiki wrote:[/iDid pick up some Appleton Reserve and Wray & Nephew overproof rum (anyone know what I use that in??)...

Next time consult with Tiki Central first! You can buy Appleton Reserve and Wray and Nephew overproof in the U.S. (well, in California anyway). You got some good rum - the Reserve is great straight and the overproof is a fine substitute for 151 (or if you want an extra kick in any drink!).

Does anyone know the penalty for bringing in Cuban rum or cigars? I brought back several bottles through Tijuana recently. I would have second thoughts doing it again if I knew I may be fined or arrested! I assumed they would only confiscate it if I was caught (perhaps I'm naive).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-09 22:45, zrongo wrote:
You can buy Pimento Liqueur from the link below. I bought several bottles from them a couple of years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/caribbeantreasures/rums.htm

Their website is a little flaky. Email them directly and tell them you want to buy some.

I, too bought a bottle of pimento from them. There was a month or more lag time from when I ordered until it was delivered. They required a faxed copy of my drivers license. When it arrived, the package had an Oregon return address hand-written on it. Very interesting. Pimento is very tasty stuff. Thick and sweet, it has complex flavors with good spice. It's highly regarded for its "digestif" qualities. Try "Jasper's Jamaican" from the Grog Log. I believe the recipe calls for pimento, lime juice, sugar, and rum. Very nice! If you can get it, enjoy! Good luck to all.

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-11-13 12:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-13 11:49, weirduncletiki wrote:
I, too bought a bottle of pimento from them.

I'm so jealous! I've been trying to order from them for years and it's never been available when I inquired. I guess you have to go on their web site at the right time. Right now it's not available. aquarj said he ordered from them once and never got a bottle - did you ever get one Randy?

Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 2:27 pm   Permalink

I'm trying to get some bottles right now from them. I just sent them an email. I'm saying my prayers!

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-11-13 2:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-13 14:27, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I'm trying to get some bottles right now from them. I just sent them an email. I'm saying my prayers!

KT

Good luck. All my emails to them bounced back as Undeliverable.

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-18 5:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-13 11:17, thejab wrote:
Quote:

[i]On 2003-11-12 19:23, johntiki wrote:[/iDid pick up some Appleton Reserve and Wray & Nephew overproof rum (anyone know what I use that in??)...

Next time consult with Tiki Central first! You can buy Appleton Reserve and Wray and Nephew overproof in the U.S. (well, in California anyway).

I know we get the Appleton Reserve here in Maryland but at $28 a bottle I don't buy it too often. Never seen Wray and Nephew here!Also the Meyers's is the deal of the week - giant one litre bottle for $10.00!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 09:53 am   Permalink

It looks like I am a week away until I get my Wray & Nephews Pimento. I had a friend buy me a couple of bottles in Jamaica last week "they were only $10 each". I'll give a repost upon tasing!

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 10:13 pm   Permalink

I did receive my pimento! Two bottles, does any one have a great recipe? I know that there are a couple in the Grog log/Intoxica, but just thought that I would reach out for any experienced mixologists advise. BK, what do you know?

Cheers,

KT

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 10:57 pm   Permalink

I know BK made his own. As for bringing stuff back from Cuba, it's no problem in amounts for personal use. 10 cigars would be okay, a few boxes, no.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 12:21 am   Permalink

Please refer to Gunther Anderson's HomePage. Gunther appears to be a bit of a "Folk Music Singin' Hippy" kind of guy. He does, however, have a significant list of recipes of liqueurs that can be made at home. Each and every one that I have tried, so far, gave absolutely Perfect results.
I have yet to try the Pimento Liqueur but the recipe looks right! I'd suggest listening to Splitsville's cover of "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" while mixing this one up. That's just me, though.

Here it is:
http://www.guntheranderson.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-04-16 00:24 ]

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 10:04 pm   Permalink

Jasper's Jamaican is good! Truly a nice way to get started with my Pimento. I'll try something else tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

KT

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-21 12:43 am   Permalink

http://www.homedistiller.org/liqueurs.htm

Another pimento liqueur recipe that differs from the gunther version posted here as far as can tell.

>>Edit: Scratch the above statement...same as Gunther recipe upon closer inspection. Apologies<<

Also lot's of other unique concoctions (including marijuana infusion instructions).

Nice coupla pages, lots of links to Gunther.

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: ku ku ahu on 2004-11-22 00:18 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 4:24 pm   Permalink

Does anybody else have a recipe for this stuff, other than the Gunther one listed above?

I've tried several, with and without Cinnamon, some with lime, and some with molasses. Others use Brown sugar to make the syrup instead of white. But I figured that I can't be the only one experimenting with this out there...

I do have one that I particulary like, though I can't vouch for it's athuencity vs. the real stuff:

1/4 c. Crushed (Not Ground) Dried Allspice Berries
2-3 Cracked cinnamon Sticks
Zest from 1 Lime
2 c. Meyer’s Dark Jamaican Rum
1/2 c. High Proof Rum (I used Bacardi 151...)

I let this steep for 5 days Then filtered it and added it to a sugar syrup which I made by boilng together for 10 minutes:

3 c. Water
1 lb. Brown sugar
1/4 c. Molasses

I bottled it and let it set about a week. Pretty tasty all by itself...and I'm looking forward to test-driving it in a mixed drink very soon.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation