FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Pimento Liqueur
gonegoannas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-03 09:42 am   Permalink

So last night I decided to experiment with the Navy Grog. Using my recipe which calls for 1/4 ounce of pimento liquor. I made one with Berry Hill and one with St. Elizabeth. The major difference between the two was the flavor of the spices was much more subdued with the St. Elizabeth. The Berry Hill was much more pronounced and more to my liking. Anybody else tried using both in a cocktail?

Jeff

View Profile of gonegoannas Send a personal message to gonegoannas  Email gonegoannas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-03 10:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-21 20:07, PiPhiRho wrote:
Velvet Falernum is available at Beverages and More (aka BevMo), or at least it was the lest time I checked. It is also available at Beverage Warehouse in Mar Vista, and I believe I also saw it at Green Jug in Woodland Hills.

I have not seen the Pimento Dram anywhere in the LA area so far. Hi Times is a bit of a haul. Perhaps I'll do it when I run out of my Berry Hill.

Hi-Times is well worth the drive, I made the trip out there from Long Beach (passing two BevMo's on the way!) to stock up. I did see the St. Elizabeth's on the shelf - I was already way past my self-imposed $50 limit for the evening however (I never seem to get out of there for under $75). I also picked up a bottle of John Taylor Velvet Falernum, a bottle of Herbsaint, and some creme de cacao and a bottle of blackberry brandy from the clearance shelf. Oh yeah, and I also got some bottles of Dublin Dr Pepper, the only Dr Pepper in the world still made with pure cane sugar. God, I love that store!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
van Oosten
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-04 7:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-03 09:42, gonegoannas wrote:
So last night I decided to experiment with the Navy Grog. Using my recipe which calls for 1/4 ounce of pimento liquor. I made one with Berry Hill and one with St. Elizabeth. The major difference between the two was the flavor of the spices was much more subdued with the St. Elizabeth. The Berry Hill was much more pronounced and more to my liking. Anybody else tried using both in a cocktail?

Jeff

Hi Jeff - the Berry Hill has a very strong molasses note, some love it, some don't. Out of curiosity, which rum/s do you prefer in your navy grog? Cheers, v.oosten

View Profile of van Oosten Send a personal message to van Oosten  Goto the website of van Oosten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonegoannas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-05 07:32 am   Permalink

I used 1 ounce Lemon Hart, 1 Ounce Appleton V/X, and 1 ounce Cruzan Light. I do not think the overall sweetness of the drink was altered between the two, if so it is very subtle as I only use 1/4 of an ounce of Pimento liquor, any more and it basically overpowers the entire cocktail.

Jeff

View Profile of gonegoannas Send a personal message to gonegoannas  Email gonegoannas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 08:55 am   Permalink

[/quote]

Hi-Times is well worth the drive, I made the trip out there from Long Beach (passing two BevMo's on the way!) to stock up.....God, I love that store!
[/quote]

+1 I live in northern Cal and make it a must stop when visiting the in-laws in Redondo. I can't get out of there for less than $100 though.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-09 11:40 am   Permalink

Other Pimento Dram Recipes

Now that Pimento Dram is more freely available than ever before. I thought it might be a good idea to post some personal favorites or new recipes or ideas people may have stumbled upon.
Here's one of my most used recipes, courtesy of Trader Vic's (old school).
This is a variation of it as the original recipe called for white rum, but if your a lover of Trader Vic's Navy Grog I suggest a more aged rum, or whatever you use when making your own TV Navy Grog.

Bermuda Swizzle.

1oz. Martinique Rum (J.Baly, St.James)
1oz. Jamaican Rum (Appleton VX/12yo)
3/4oz. Lime Juice.
1/2oz. Grapefruit Juice.
1/2oz. Sugar Syrup.
1/4oz. Pimento Allspice Dram (Berry Hill, St.Elizabeth)
1/2oz. Apricot Brandy (Marie Brizzard, Bols)

Mixed and shaken with at least a double old-fashioned (Mai Tai) glass of crushed ice,
and whatever extra crushed ice is needed to top up your glass.

A lot of you might recognize this as basically a TV Navy Grog with less Rum (for those who make it with 3oz) and a 1/2oz. of Apricot Brandy added, but it's well worth trying and was served back in Trader Vic's in days gone by, but goes unnoticed these days.

View Profile of Squad 701 Send a personal message to Squad 701      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-31 1:22 pm   Permalink

Is pimento liqueur available anywhere in Las Vegas?

Looking to stock up on ingredients which are hard to come by in England!

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-31 1:32 pm   Permalink

Just as hard to come by in the U.S.!!
Not sure about Vegas - I'm sure one of the locals can advise.

If you strike out, let me know, as I have a recipe I'd be happy to share with you

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 3:53 pm   Permalink

Has anybody tried the pimento dram by The Bitter Truth company? It seems like it's only sold in Europe.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-16 1:50 pm   Permalink

I lucked out and came across the St. Elizabeth's at Traverso's in Santa Rosa, CA during their 25% off moving sale. I paid $21, which is a steal. At their new location, they should still have it... regular price $27.99.
Anybody in NorCal should check Traverso's out... their rum selection is pretty damn good. The only place I can find Lemon Hart anywhere around here.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 1:36 pm   Permalink

I'm too lazy to make Pimento Liqueur, if I had my favorite liq. store (West Hills in the San Fernando Valley) order a case of whatever Pimento Liq. they can find would anyone be interested in a bottle?

I don't wnat them to be stuck with inventory they can't sell since it's a specialty item. (I think my options are Wray & Nephew, Berry Hill and St. Elizabeth). Otherwise, I'm going to order a bottle on-line.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 8:38 pm   Permalink

Cheekygirl,

St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram is the only Allspice Liqueur in wide spread distribution in the USA, at least as far as I'm aware. Most distributors will allow retailers to order 'split cases' (ie, one bottle of brand A, two bottles of brand b etc), however they will place upcharge on each bottle (5-10%) for trouble of splitting cases. This is how most restaurants and bars (on-premise) accounts purchase spirits-they rarely purchase full cases. Your store should be able to order a bottle for you, as long as there is a local distributor for Haus Alpenze (the importer of St E's) products servicing your area. In contrast, suppliers (importers, distillers, wineries) will not split cases to distributors. Distributors must buy full cases and sometimes have to buy a minimum of a pallet (45-70 cases depending on configuration), half pallet or one layer of a pallet from the supplier.

If there is a distributor for ST E servicing your area and your retailer won't order you a bottle then they are providing very poor service and you should find another store to support.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-05-20 8:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-20 13:36, CheekyGirl wrote:
I'm too lazy to make Pimento Liqueur, if I had my favorite liq. store (West Hills in the San Fernando Valley) order a case of whatever Pimento Liq. they can find would anyone be interested in a bottle?

I don't wnat them to be stuck with inventory they can't sell since it's a specialty item. (I think my options are Wray & Nephew, Berry Hill and St. Elizabeth). Otherwise, I'm going to order a bottle on-line.

Before you go doing either of those, check with your nearest BevMo. They carry the St.Elizabeth Allspice Dram for $26.99.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 11:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Before you go doing either of those, check with your nearest BevMo. They carry the St.Elizabeth Allspice Dram for $26.99.

Roger that! I've seen it in the Northridge & Van Nuys Bevmos as well as the one in Pasadena.

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-21 07:12 am   Permalink

The Woodland Hills store had this last time I was there, check it out on your way home.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation