FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Pimento Liqueur
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-26 08:37 am   Permalink

And my 2 bottles of Berry Hill Pimento liqueur arrived in the post today.
Great to see them getting to Dublin in 2-weeks, as I was quoted at least 1-2 months,
as the only option to the UK/Ireland was surface mail.
So here's another endorsement for Reggae Treats, keep up the good work - brilliant service.
Anybody else out there thinking of getting this rare liqueur should make their move now,
while the chance is there.
All those Navy Grog's waiting to be revived

View Profile of Squad 701 Send a personal message to Squad 701      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-27 05:50 am   Permalink

Hi all,
Has anyone got a link or recipe for the original 'Navy Grog' with the Pimento in it ???
Thanks.

View Profile of Squad 701 Send a personal message to Squad 701      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-06-27 10:02 am   Permalink

If you have a Grog Log look up the Ancient Mariner. That is probably pretty close, although I believe that the Trader Vic's Navy Grog uses more grapefruit than that.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-27 11:28 am   Permalink

Thanks for that PiPhiRho,
I can remember it being discussed before, but everyone seemed to prefer variations with the Pimento.
Dr Cocktail mentioned he prefers his Don/Trader hybrid.
Anything in the old Trader Vics 1942 bartender guide ??

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 09:55 am   Permalink

Here's the Trader Vic's Navy Grog recipe courtesy of Jeff Berry (last paragraph on the page).

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 10:01 am   Permalink

Man, I love it here. Thanks, Rob!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-29 12:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks for that link GatorRob - much appreciated.
Time to break open a bottle of Berry Hill, looking forward to making up some of Don's Mix # 2,
and the recipes that call for it in the new Jeff Berry book 'Sippin Safari'

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 3:53 pm   Permalink

Don't thank me. Send an email to Jeff Berry and thank him.

I just made a couple of those by the way. First one was with Myers's for the dark rum, Lemon Hart and pimento (allspice) syrup. It was... okay. Second was with Appleton Extra for the dark, Lemon Hart again and pimento liqueur rather than syrup. I think I heard a choir singing on the second one. That's the keeper.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-29 4:53 pm   Permalink

Yes GatorRob, Jeff's the Man. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have the interest I have in Tiki drinks.
He really has given us all a good education, to be appreciated.
Like yourself, just tried the 'Navy Grog' with Appleton VX and El Dorado 12 yo.
It was quite a revelation, not what I expected, it took a while to get my taste buds around it, but the crushed ice made all the difference, and in no time I took to it, looking forward to giving it another try tomorrow night, it's one to be savored slowly.

jamaican_vibes

Posted: 2007-06-29 5:04 pm   Permalink

Kono and Squad701 thank you both for your endorsements and support.

View Profile of jamaican_vibes Send a personal message to jamaican_vibes  Email jamaican_vibes Goto the website of jamaican_vibes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2007-07-09 1:43 pm   Permalink

My bottle was waiting for me today after a week-and-a-half vacation. My order shipped surface mail on June 18th (the slowest and cheapest way), and reached the Northwest in less than three weeks time.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billbot
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-09 9:51 pm   Permalink

I just got my two bottles of Berry Hill Pimento Liqueur from reggaetreats.com !
They Rock! Finally a reliable source for the stuff! - Two words N A V Y G R O G !!

-BILLBOT
http://www.astrostation.com

View Profile of Billbot Send a personal message to Billbot  Email Billbot Goto the website of Billbot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-10 12:02 pm   Permalink

Another two word's 'Ancient Mariner'.
From the 'Grog Log' Jeff Berry's version of the Trader Vic 'Navy Grog',
and in my humble opinion a brilliant variation.
It will save you wasting your precious Pimento Liqueur, and still have all the flavors shining through,
as it only uses 1/4oz compared to the 'Navy Grogs' 3/4oz.
I've made them both in the last couple of days and my vote definitely goes to the 'Ancient Mariner'

PS - Follow it up with a 'Beachcombers Punch' (Grog Log) as you will have most of the ingredients still on your kitchen table.

Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-10 10:27 pm   Permalink

Another thumbs up for reggaetreats.com.
Just got my bottle today.
It should be a fun weekend!

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2007-07-10 11:38 pm   Permalink

In addition to Pimento Liqueur I also sprung for a bottle of the World's End Rum Cream. I got it in the Blue Mountain Coffee flavor (what else?) and I am not disappointed. This is some damn fine stuff. There are other flavors, too. Banana and something else. Mango perhaps? I can only recommend the coffee as that is all I have tried, but I absolutely DO recommend the blue mountain coffee rum cream. In fact, I think I am going to indulge in a sip right now!

The shipping was pretty fast, even considering that I chose the slowest shipping method. Forget that other place that takes months and you have to constantly bug them. This is a reliable source for a hard to get item, in addition to many other great Jamaican delights.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation