FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Pimento Liqueur
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-11 10:48 am   Permalink

Great to see you posting Dr. Cocktail! Your Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is one of my favorite, and most utilized, books of classic cocktails, along with the Beachbum's books, and the Esquire drink book. Wish I could attend Tales of the Cocktail, but Tiki Central will be well represented by Martiki's (long-time TC poster, tropical drink expert, and co-owner/manager of Forbidden Island) presence there.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 12:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-11 10:48, thejab wrote:
Great to see you posting Dr. Cocktail! Your Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is one of my favorite, and most utilized, books of classic cocktails, along with the Beachbum's books, and the Esquire drink book.

These books are also my specific favorites, along with the old Savoy Cocktail Book.

Thanks everyone who posted reports about Reggae Treats... time to finally score some of this stuff!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2007-07-12 06:49 am   Permalink

I've always assumed my surname "Pimentel" was derived from the "pimento" pepper, but now I'm going to go with the explanation that it's from "pimento" liqueur. "So what's your last name mean?" "Alcohol."

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-21 07:28 am   Permalink

In case anyone is on the fence about ordering the pimento liquor - here's another positive review for Reggae Treats. I just got 2 bottles of pimento and some jamaican ginger beer (love a good dark and stormy) within 3 weeks of ordering. Just passin' it on.

Joe

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-22 03:33 am   Permalink

I just made a batch from the recipe in the most recent Imbibe magazine (allspice berries, 151 rum, brown sugar syrup). I don't know if it tastes "right", but it sure tastes damn good.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-23 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-22 03:33, Koolau wrote:
I just made a batch from the recipe in the most recent Imbibe magazine (allspice berries, 151 rum, brown sugar syrup). I don't know if it tastes "right", but it sure tastes damn good.

Well, if you just made a batch, you need to let it rest about a month. Then it gets magical.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-07-23 6:14 pm   Permalink

I just had Chuck Taggart's from Imbibe, made by Chuck. Quite good.

Just between you, me, and the internet, it will soon be available again commercially in the US.

Can't say exactly when or tell you who's doing it, but it's coming.

In the meantime- keep making it!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-23 10:27 pm   Permalink

GatorRob - should the homemade Pimento Dram be refrigerated, or would it be better to leave it out on the counter to age for that month?

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 12:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-23 22:27, Koolau wrote:
GatorRob - should the homemade Pimento Dram be refrigerated, or would it be better to leave it out on the counter to age for that month?

I made a bottle months ago (a little of this goes a long way in a drink) and it's never been refrigerated and it's fine. It has what, a cup or so of 151 proof Demerara rum in it? That's enough alcohol to kill anything that might attempt to grow in it.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 12:32 pm   Permalink

Martin, you tease! That IS good news. Hope to see it on the store shelves before long. But I've got to say, it's never going to sell to an American market with a name like Pimento Dram. If you said to a roomful of people "Who wants to taste some Pimento Dram?", you'd get a roomful of scrunched up noses and few takers I bet. I'm thinking Allspice Liqueur would have a much better chance of selling. Or how about "Christmas In A Bottle".

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 12:36 pm   Permalink

Bottle of the Wray and Nephew come up on Ebay regularly if anyone wants to taste compare.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-07-25 09:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-24 12:32, GatorRob wrote:
Martin, you tease! That IS good news. Hope to see it on the store shelves before long. But I've got to say, it's never going to sell to an American market with a name like Pimento Dram. If you said to a roomful of people "Who wants to taste some Pimento Dram?", you'd get a roomful of scrunched up noses and few takers I bet. I'm thinking Allspice Liqueur would have a much better chance of selling. Or how about "Christmas In A Bottle".

I said exactly that to the manufacturers- one agreed, and one did not. I think Allspice Liqueur is the way to go as well.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem

Posted: 2007-07-31 10:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-25 09:39, martiki wrote:
I said exactly that to the manufacturers- one agreed, and one did not. I think Allspice Liqueur is the way to go as well.

Hope the manufacturers think it out a little more. When I was asking around for availability, people usually think pimento=the pepper used to stuff olives. The alternate name for the allspice isn't as widely known.

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 4:22 pm   Permalink

I personally like "English Pepper" as the nomenclature goes.

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
van Oosten
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-08 6:50 pm   Permalink

Consider that the Dram can also serve as a base for Wassail punch...

btw. very glad to join the discussion here.

View Profile of van Oosten Send a personal message to van Oosten  Goto the website of van Oosten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation