FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving octane (spring break carvings) 3/26/06
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
octane (spring break carvings) 3/26/06
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-21 06:13 am   Permalink

Octane, these latest are really looking good, Excellent. Yes you should step up production you will be surprised at how Good your pieces are.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-22 01:04 am   Permalink

Octane, alright braddah! nice! That sword is Bad Ass!!! good job.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-22 7:34 pm   Permalink

thanks DogBytes, Benzart and Gecko for the kind words.

here is various shots of the same tiki just farther in the process. most of it is done except some cleaning up and adding the tatu to the body and face.

sorry for so many pictures but have to take advatage when the camera is avaiable

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-22 8:20 pm   Permalink

You don't Ever have to apologize for taking too many pictures, only for not enough. This one looks kool. NewZealand type tiki. Love it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-06-22 10:13 pm   Permalink

Tiki's Got Back!

Awesome octane...your carvings are simply awesome. Someone get this guy some palms!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 12:27 am   Permalink

Awesome work as usual, Octane!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 12:42 am   Permalink

flippin' gorgeous stuff!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Saint-Thomas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-24 10:14 am   Permalink

Awesome!

View Profile of Saint-Thomas Send a personal message to Saint-Thomas  Email Saint-Thomas Goto the website of Saint-Thomas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 3:34 pm   Permalink

Thank you everyone for your nice comments.
here are some new shots of that same old tiki but this time there is tatuing on his face and body. i tried to get some pictures that showed them but i'm not sure how well they showed up. most of the tatu is drangons tooth, and a few spirals mixed in here and there. this is the first time i'v tried dragons tooth, it turned out ok. i still have to figure out what i'm going to do with this guys eyes, either put shells in or not.

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2004-06-24 15:40 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 3:58 pm   Permalink

Be Careful, you are out-doing yourself. Boy, I can't wait to see this guy all Finished up.

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 8:40 pm   Permalink

well Ben you asked and i shall provide. the pictures aren't the greatest i might try again tomarrow. the stain is OK, i think, i'm terrible with picking stain colors. I got the Abalone shells cut some what circluar but not perfect. Cutting the shells are something i don't like to do, so i'm not the greatest at it. i worry about the dust so i try to do it the best i can but as fast as possible. all that is left is to cut it off the base, stain the bottom, clear coated a couple of times. I might make him the first tiki i sell, the first: O'Tiki

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 12:17 am   Permalink

Excellent work!

How does one go about carving the Dragon's Tooth? Which chisels work best? Where did you read/learn this method Octane? Love the spirals too... how did you do those?

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 3:12 pm   Permalink

Thank you Lake.

I got the dragon tooth and instructions how to do about 4 different types of Maori tatuing from a book called "the art of Maori carving" i found the book in my schools library (thanks to the help of TikiTony) not sure how widly avaible the book is. i photocopyed the pages that had the instructions, and i had some one try to scan them today so i could email them to you or any one else that wanted them, but the scanning did work right. i will keep trying and if or when i get them i will send you a personal message, so i can email them to you. any one else that wants them can send me a personal message as well.

here is just a picture of the page on the dragon tooth (with out the written explination)

here is another part with a few more styles (again with out written explination)

the siprals aren't that bad. there are kind two way to due them. first you have to draw it out, which if i could get you the scan would show you 3-4 varieties.

here is a picture of the page with the spirals, maybe this will work

the first technique (proper way i beleive)you just use the the chissel with the V shape, on a slight tilt, so the side (of the V chissel)closest to the center is almost striagt up, while the part of the chissel away from the center is out at an angle, then you just follow your lines.

another way that works is to draw out your spiral, use the V shaped chissel (normally, no tilit) and carve out your lines, the come back with another chisel (the one i have used isn't flat, but instead a really flat half round (mine is from a little palm carving set) you take this chisel and start on the outside of the curve and slant back down in towards the middle.

i hope this helps, its kind of hard to explain, if you have any questions let me know, and i will try to get those pages scanned for you.

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 6:06 pm   Permalink

well i started my next project today. It like the last one is Maori, except this one is a flat pannel. i didn't have alot of wood in the garage except a peice of poplar. i have never carved poplar, but it is nice and soft compared to the ash base ball bat blanks. the only problem is how well it will stain and hold detail.

net-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 6:39 pm   Permalink

Octane you are an animal with all the detail in the carvings you have done. I like all the stuff especially the moari, keep it up its really awsome work.

[ This Message was edited by: net-tiki on 2004-06-25 18:42 ]

View Profile of net-tiki Send a personal message to net-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation