FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Jungle's Outpost
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
Jungle's Outpost
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 07:03 am   Permalink

Aloha JT!!!!
Nice carvings my friend . I really like the KU ! Keep posting your log slayings, Aloha , Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 09:14 am   Permalink

Aloha Bruddah!
Absolutely wonderful kine Tikis brah! You really do a great job at the coloration (burning?) process. They all look Pono and keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!!!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 2:48 pm   Permalink

AUWWWEEE! Thought I'd let you all know the inside on the Minnie's Mug controversy. Most of you didn't even know there is a scandal. When I first started the whole process from idea to finished product, it wasn't my idea in the first place. For one, Peter told me he really like the carving I did in that style. Then Mick, (another carver in Modesto) says to me that I should make a mug of this one. So I figure I'll name it after Peter and Stuart, hence Pika Kewalaka. After Stuart sees the first few mugs he says I should put "Minnie's" on the back and he would be interested in buying some. I come back months later with the "Minnie's" mug and he says he doesn't want to buy any cuz Mick wants to make a Minnie's mug and sell it at Minnie's. WTF? Is that chicken shit or what? So whatever market I thought I might have is now gone.

I wanted to add that I've had to raise the price to 35 clams, sorry but necessary.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-01-02 14:49 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 7:30 pm   Permalink

Progress pics for you guys.
I don't know how this thing is going to turn out. I've never carved one before.

The last few images show a very difficult part of the carving. A 3-dimensional animal is much harder to carve than a tiki. I'm finding that out.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-01-03 19:33 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 7:51 pm   Permalink

Like Pacino said in Scarface when the Pink Flamingos were taking off on TV, "Fly pelicans, fly!"

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 9:22 pm   Permalink

The first few pix looked like you were flippin' us the bird. I guess I was right!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 07:53 am   Permalink

Do some of you ever get "Carver's block". When you need to drop everything and try again later?
I've had some intense pain in my mouth where the gums around a tooth has decayed (periodontal disease). Maybe that had me distracted, maybe not. I had the tooth pulled out yesterday, (simple extraction) the doc called it. I can't even imagine the pain without pain killers or the numbing medicine. It hurt a lot with all that.
Distractions. Now back to the pelican. I need to take it to the pelican bling bling place, as the "Wizard of Wood" (Benzart) calls it.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-01-06 18:13 ]

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 3:56 pm   Permalink

You have a great start on the pelican. Carvers block happens to me all the time. You are right, carving animals is more difficult than tikis, the couple bears I've done have not turned out well at all.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-15 4:28 pm   Permalink

Just some fine tuning needed. Jeez this one was tough.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-16 2:53 pm   Permalink

Looks like you worked that knot out just perfect for the eye. Looks good! Post when you are done with the "fine tuning"
JP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2006-01-17 10:01 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 08:23 am   Permalink

Aloha JohnnyP. Here it is after much sanding. When you think you're finished sanding.....sand some more and more and more. How do you get in to sand those tight spots that a big sander can't reach, like between the neck and wings? A file?

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 08:31 am   Permalink

JT, he looks great and and like JP said the knots couldnt have been in better places. I like the bark that you left on the bottom.

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2006-01-17 08:31 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 10:09 am   Permalink

Sand and sand and sand. I can tell you sanded quite a bit. I am having the same issue with my big tiki sanding in all the tight spaces. I have a few spaces under his chin, legs, and arms I can't quite reach and still have some grinder and chainsaw marks that I quite can't reach with power sanders, I think I am going to have to resort to a chisel, but even that is going to be awkward.
JP

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 10:52 am   Permalink

Here's the latest on the pelican. It looks good in these images but a closer examination reveals trouble with the marine varnish either not drying well over the knots and some chipping. I didn't want it to be this dark. I really wanted the beauty of the grain to stand out but I covered it with red mahognay stain. sheesh.
yeah, yeah, I took it to the bling bling place and guess who was sitting there on the throne? The Wizard of Wood of course. As I humbly crawled on all fours toward the master, my eyes inadvertently caught a flashing glimpse of his contenance. I know, I know, if he hadn't quickly motioned to one of his servants, and our eyes had met......it would have been doomsday for me. Like you know, pulverized in seconds from the very sun in HIS eyes. No man can see HIM, AND, remain alive, as you know. lucky, lucky, lucky.

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 11:12 am   Permalink

wow Jungle Trader...very cool carving and great finish...looks like a moai-pelican....good work
and nice stuff in the background too.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation